Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil Smells like fuel and valve train is making unusual noise.

I'm running Mobil 1 and I'm pretty close to needing to change my oil (almost at 7k since last change). I don't drive my car very hard and I drive a mixture of city and highway. Today I go to start the car and notice the engine is making a loud almost ticking sound, not the usual ticking of the DI but like valve train noise. I make a quick drive around the neighborhood to get the engine to operating temps then go to check the oil and it is full but it smells like gas. This is my first DI car and after doing some research it seems like it isn't unusual for the oil on a DI car to smell a little like gas. I decided to check my catch can as well and it was not full so I don't think the contamination came from there. So I start the car back up to try and find where the noise is coming from and it seems to be coming from the left side of the motor near the timing belt area.

So obviously my car is not stock so the last thing I want to do is take it to the dealership. I'm kind of lost on what to do with it now. Try and get an oil change and see if the sound goes away? I'm kind of scared to drive it.

OP
GateCityRadio
Thread Starter #2
I'm taking it to a local shop I trust. I'll update you guys when I know what it is.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
I'm running Mobil 1 and I'm pretty close to needing to change my oil (almost at 7k since last change). I don't drive my car very hard and I drive a mixture of city and highway. Today I go to start the car and notice the engine is making a loud almost ticking sound, not the usual ticking of the DI but like valve train noise. I make a quick drive around the neighborhood to get the engine to operating temps then go to check the oil and it is full but it smells like gas. This is my first DI car and after doing some research it seems like it isn't unusual for the oil on a DI car to smell a little like gas. I decided to check my catch can as well and it was not full so I don't think the contamination came from there. So I start the car back up to try and find where the noise is coming from and it seems to be coming from the left side of the motor near the timing belt area.

So obviously my car is not stock so the last thing I want to do is take it to the dealership. I'm kind of lost on what to do with it now. Try and get an oil change and see if the sound goes away? I'm kind of scared to drive it.
Well, since you're due anyway, Iwould start with the oil change. I don't think that will get rid of it if the sound just started today. When oil viscosity breaks down and thins the oil out, it's not unusual to hear the drivetrain moreso than before. This would start to happen gradually though, not be fine one day and not the next.

OP
GateCityRadio
Thread Starter #4
Turns out it was just the belt tensioner. Dodged a bullet with that one. They said they didn't smell gas in the oil.