Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Overfilled AC?

SrsBsns

Just moved to Phoenix and eff me it's hot. The AC in my 16 has been working but not really all that well so I figured it was time for a recharge.

Got the kit and hooked ut up to the low side. It was reading 40psi and I wanted to get it just north of 50 as it's currently 108 at 9pm.

I had the trigger down and would let it go a few seconds and check. It wasn't really moving from 40. Press a few seconds, read, 40. Press, read, 40. Repeat and repeat and repeat until press, read, oh shit, almost 60. I could hear the idle change slightly and the ac in the car is cool but not cold. It was like it wasn't taking anything until it took too much all at once.

The pressure will drop to about 55 and then go back up and hang out right at 60.

Did I fuck it up or is there a way to purge a couple lbs of pressure?

Attachments

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #2
Welp, fixed it. Hooked the hose back on and removed the bottle of refrigerant. Covered the end with a towel and hit the trigger to release some pressure. Dropped it back down to where it's supposed to be and it's blowing ice cold.

Idk if it was a bad fitting for the gauge where it wasn't reading properly or what but that was scarier than it was supposed to be. If you're doing this, take your time and make sure you're getting a good reading before you overfill.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
You cant put freon into A VEHICLE When its above 80-85 degrees out. You need to try in the morning when its cooler out. When all else fails read the directions.

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #4
You cant put freon into A VEHICLE When its above 80-85 degrees out. You need to try in the morning when its cooler out.
Can't put? Or can? It's not going to be under 85 here until September.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Can't put? Or can? It's not going to be under 85 here until September.
If its dry and not humid it not as effected * There was an article i read a while back about injecting freon with a Bottle in a counterman magazine.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
If you want your air conditioning to perform at its best. I recommend taking it to a shop where they will remove the refrigerant, pull a vacuum and then recharge at the recommended specification.. Those gages really screw a lot of people up. For example if I was going to top off a refrigerant system that was actually low on refrigerant as in the compressor would not stay running due to a low charge. I basically put enough refrigerant in it to keep the AC compressor running steadily. Which is typically around 30PSI on the low side.

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #7
If you want your air conditioning to perform at its best. I recommend taking it to a shop where they will remove the refrigerant, pull a vacuum and then recharge at the recommended specification.. Those gages really screw a lot of people up. For example if I was going to top off a refrigerant system that was actually low on refrigerant as in the compressor would not stay running due to a low charge. I basically put enough refrigerant in it to keep the AC compressor running steadily. Which is typically around 30PSI on the low side.
It's blowing cold now, even in this Phoenix heat so I'll leave it for now. If it starts to lose its ability to cool consistently, I'll probably bring it in instead of recharging it again. I know that's the "right" way to do it, but it's hard to argue against a $20 quick fix that works (unless the gauge doesn't work and you overfill it).