Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Paint doesn't match

stjudge

I did a search but found nothing helpful. 2017 Magnetic purchased new, now at 20k mi. The rear bumper never matched the body paint very well but now it is not even close. A friend came by the other day and said:" I didn't know somebody hit your ST, boy that was a bad repaint." I explained that it came that way. Are they all this way? Anyone get any relief from Ford? Thanks!

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Still under warranty. Go to the dealer and ask. You can get all kinds of answers here, but they really won't matter since it will have to be a Ford dealer that does it.

borborpa

Premium Account
I've noticed mine in Magnetic does that in different lights. The fiberglass versus the metal parts look different. I thought it was bad body work, then I realized the front and back bumpers both look that way, so I just wrote it off as me being crazy.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I did a search but found nothing helpful. 2017 Magnetic purchased new, now at 20k mi. The rear bumper never matched the body paint very well but now it is not even close. A friend came by the other day and said:" I didn't know somebody hit your ST, boy that was a bad repaint." I explained that it came that way. Are they all this way? Anyone get any relief from Ford? Thanks!
You're probably going to find that it's because the plastic parts have a flex additive in the paint so they don't peel when the bumpers get mushed around.
It shows up more on some colors, less than others, and dealerships will usually tell you it's normal.

If it's "within tolerances", it shouldn't be noticeable other than at certain angles or in certain lighting conditions.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
All modern plastic bumpers painted the same color of the car are off to a degree. You car is not unique and if you have a discerning eye you will always see it and not unsee it. In fact once your tuned to seeing it you see it even on high end luxury vehicles. Most people will either ignore or miss unless your OCD then it will bug you to no end.:ROFLMAO:
This is also not just bumpers but factory side skirts as well. What makes matters worse is the unibodies are quite often sprayed on the assembly line separate from the factory side skirts and bumpers i.e . All plastic or polyurethane trim. . This can lead to a even wider color discrepancy due to paint being done in batches.
Ford actually even has a warranty disclaimer about this so you cannot claim warranty paint work on it. In other words they know full well about it and say oh well. :ROFLMAO:

Sorry if this comes off flip but I have an eye for detail lean towards the OCD side of things and actually went through it on my car. I can’t help but laugh about the futility of It now.

Of course on the other side I actually did have paint warranty work done for a basically bad bumper spray job where the paint did not even make to the inner edges of the intercooler opening of my 18. I had other friends check their cars and some had this issue others did not. In other words the spray work at the factory was kinda sucky. But hell we bought a high performance economy car. :ROFLMAO:

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Yep the bumpers of these cars are painted at a completely different location shipped to the factory, and then installed on the car already painted.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk