Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Parts help

Hello everyone,

Im brand new to this forum so if i am posting this question in the wrong place, im sorry!! =(

So I just took my 2017 FIesta ST in to have the Input Drive Seal replaced. Noticed that it was leaking and as I still had warranty the dealer said no problem! Now, I am not the orginal owner of this car. I bought it 5 months ago from a Nissan Dealership who took it in on a trade in for a new truck.

The dealer calls me and informs me that someone had replaced the seal prior, and in doing so, looks like they used a pry bar or something to yank it out because they tore the heck out of the housing. Gouges, scratches, etc. They did their best to fill in said marks with Silicon and put the new seal in. I asked them how much for a more perminate solution (Given i have NO idea if the silicon will hold, or if it will fail in a couple months again....) and they told me i would need a new transmission housing, plus 12 hours labor. Told me the part is 800$ and that the repair would be "Over 1000$." Pretty vague.

I am not a car guy. So all i could do was look at them and nod. SO! Seeing as i check here often for advice, I decided to ask the community here for help. Does anyone know EXACTLY what part i need? If i can find the replacment, i have a certified mechanic who said he would help me out (Because he knows the horror story i endured to GET this car in the first place) And charge me very little to do the job. But i don't know what im trying to find and order. Or even where to begin to look to find out what i am trying to order...

Can anyone shead some light?

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Sounds like the part they replaced was the input shaft seal. It's a $6 part. But replacing requires taking the transmission off.

Are they saying that the place where the shaft seal goes was damaged?

OP
P
Thread Starter #3
Its possible i have it a little mixed up, but input shaft seal sounds correct. The Seal was leaking, BUT, yes that is what they told me, the place where the seal goes was damaged. The person i was dealing with said they didn't see it first hand, but the mechanic made it sound like someone got in there with a prybar or some other tool to remove the old seal. Before i could ask for pictures the car was put back together with the new seal in place, so i don't even have THAT to go by.

OP
P
Thread Starter #4
OP
P
Thread Starter #6
I can get you a picture of where the seal is. What i don't have is pictures of the damage. Because this was supposed to be a warranty fix, the dealer... well... doctored things on their end. They applied silicon to the gouges in an attempt to seal them, installed the new seal, and then put it back together quickly. TECHNICALLY they should have charged me for everything. But because they felt bad given the situation, they did it this way, and just made sure it looked ok on paper so i wouldn't be charged anything.

My concern is this is just a bandaid. I know the damage is there. I know its going to come back when i get a leak or the seal fails. And i KNOW im going to be right back here again when that happens. So I am very, VERY sorry this is all as vague as it is, believe me, id be under my car right now with a flashlight and camera to provide you guys with anything i can! But like i said, im not a car guy, and i am very lost and overwhelmed with this. =(

OP
P
Thread Starter #7
Ok, so, I couldn't get under my car tonight, but i did find a pic online of the spot.

From what was described, they used a tool between the housing and the seal to pull the seal out. (Prybar, screwdriver, what have you...) and in doing so, put deep gashes in the housing. Its that housing (Not the seal) that now needs replaced. Does that make sense?

Attachments