Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Please help!

OP
D
Thread Starter #41
With a stethoscope I could hear the noise from the head near the cylinder with the broken plug. After changing the plugs I can't pinpoint exactly where it's coming from but I'm pretty sure it's not coming from the turbo

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The engine detonated....I'll put money on it the piston is done. Compression numbers will set you free....this maKes me sad!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I have no clue at this point only a compression test will tell you what to do next. If the compression test turns out bad the next step will be pull the head. If you get a good compression test result you either have a fuel problem, or a spark problem causing it to run that way if it's not mechanical. I'm sorry man this could turn out bad.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

dmb

stick a magnet down their and see if you can pull that broken piece out of the plug hole. i've seen pieces shoot out of the spark plug hole with compressed air so if you cant get it out try running the motor with the spark plug out, maybe your get lucky and it will excape. any how you can bet the combustion chamber has some ''marks'' in their. but thats no big deal unless its in a valve seat good luck. sorry

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The best way is to get a boroscope....they are relatively cheap....for android or apple in HD with a light built in....stick it in the hole and cruise around ....see if you can find anything!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
D
Thread Starter #47
Compression numbers came back good. 135-140 in all cylinders. Proceeded to pull the valve cover to take a look around in there and underneath that everything looks good. While disassembling the valve cover I observed that the injectors seemed to be very dirty. Not sure if I'm right or not(I'll post some pics). When putting evert back together we decided to switch one of the injectors for another and see if there would be any change. On startup again the initial ticking noise was gone and instead this time there was was seems like a knocking(see link). At this point I'm not sure what else to try. Maybe I could drop the oil pan and take a look at the bottom end. Maybe inspect the turbo to see of there's any damage there. There does seem to be an injection problem like most of you have said, however that doesn't explain the knocking sound. Another weird thing that happened was that the screw that holds in one of the the coil packs kept spinning and spinning and when i pulled it out the actual thread for it came out with it. Not sure if any of you have ever seen that happen before.

Give me a couple of hours to post the pics on here.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Again, IF you still have everything that far disassembled, I would remove the HPFP and look at (probably would just go ahead an REPLACE it at that point) the tappet 'lifter' under there. ;)

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Again, IF you still have everything that far disassembled, I would remove the HPFP and look at (probably would just go ahead an REPLACE it at that point) the tappet 'lifter' under there. ;)
Not a bad idea.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
D
Thread Starter #51
Okay everyone, I've taken off the valve cover again and noticed something strange that I have no idea about. In between the camshaft and the vacuum pump, there is a piece that has play and moves freely. And when moving it around it sounds like the noise I've been hearing all along. Any insight as to whether this thing should have play like this or is it normal?

Pictures are attached.
IMG_20180728_152545-1619x1214.jpg IMG_20180728_152555-1619x1214.jpg IMG_20180728_152559-1619x1214.jpg IMG_20180728_152545-1619x1214.jpg IMG_20180728_152555-1619x1214.jpg IMG_20180728_152559-1619x1214.jpg

Okay everyone, I've taken off the valve cover again and noticed something strange that I have no idea about. In between the camshaft and the vacuum pump, there is a piece that has play and moves freely. And when moving it around it sounds like the noise I've been hearing all along. Any insight as to whether this thing should have play like this or is it normal?

Pictures are attached.
View attachment 15193 View attachment 15194 View attachment 15195 View attachment 15193 View attachment 15194 View attachment 15195
Sorry for reviving this thread, but did you find out if that play is normal? I can hear intermittent ticking noise on my engine at the vacuum pump. Happens when the engine is warm/hot (and maybe as the revs drop on cold start). Seems to slightly gradually get louder when it happens, but suddenly stops.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Sorry for reviving this thread, but did you find out if that play is normal? I can hear intermittent ticking noise on my engine at the vacuum pump. Happens when the engine is warm/hot (and maybe as the revs drop on cold start). Seems to slightly gradually get louder when it happens, but suddenly stops.
You can click on people’s name and see their last activity. That dude hasn’t been on the forums for over 4 years. I’ll be shocked if he replies.