Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Please help!

OP
D
Thread Starter #21
Okay so I just pulled the codes and they are P0303- Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected and P0316- Misfire Detected on Startup

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I would try switching around the ignition coil, and see if the misfire moves to a different cylinder if it does it's a bad coil.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I would pull the wiring harness off each coil pack when it's running, and note the drop. If cylinder 3 doesn't make a difference we can say that it's officially a dead cylinder. The injector for cylinder 3 could be dead. You could have a mechanical issue which could be tested with a compression check. I would also look at all the plugs. I'm leaning more towards a fuel issue/ fuel injector. That sound is similar to a diesel engine with a bad injector, and they use direct injection.

OP
D
Thread Starter #25
I'm going to change the oil to 0w-40. At the same time I'll see if there's metal bits in the oil. After starting up again and revving up a bit I heard what sounded likea marble banging around in there but only for a couple seconds then the sound goes back to the consistent clicking

OP
D
Thread Starter #26
The other spark plugs looks normal and the one from cylinder three is completely black covered in soot.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
The other spark plugs looks normal and the one from cylinder three is completely black covered in soot.
I believe you have a bad injector on that cylinder. Hopefully somebody else has had a similar problem and can confirm this. Build up on a spark plug is normally caused by Fuel issues.

Last edited:

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
What happened when you moved a functioning coil pack to cylinder 3?

Post a photo of the spark plug. I’m wondering if it is oil being burnt or excess fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D
Thread Starter #31
Alright everyone. I've changed the oil to a heavier weight to see if that made any difference(due for a change anyways) and no result. Then I pulled out all the spark plugs and the contact point for cylinder #2 was broken off. So at this point I'm assuming that it shot down and either disintegrated or did some damage to the Piston or valves. Tomorrow I will be doing a compression test and then go from there. I'm attaching a photo of the spark plugs.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
What do you mean by contact point? Pics please...what you are saying could be completely different nomenclature to what it actually is...

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Well that's going to cause a misfire. I have to ask what type of fuel are you using? If damage was done it's already been done. Put brand new plugs in it, and give it a shot.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
That is NOT good, since unlike in an NA car's engine, where that would just end up in the catcon, or down pipe, IF that ground electrode went out the exhaust port, it ended up in the turbine blades. [:(]

(But the only good news is that IF it somehow got ejected VERY QUICKLY out of the turbine's exhaust outlet, it may not have damaged the blades, or not much.)

OP
D
Thread Starter #37
I use 91 octane as it is the highest grade fuel you can get in California. I went and put in new plugs right away and still the same thing was happening. Are you sure that it will pass through the turbo? Wouldn't it just make it's way out the exhaust?

OP
D
Thread Starter #39
Will do. What do you think for right now? I'm assuming that that piece of metal did some damage in there[B)]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Can you tell WHERE the current, after the plug change, noise you are hearing is actually originating from? (near the head, or down by the turbo??)