Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

R1Concepts Geomet Drilled/Slotted brakes review vs previous

HBEcoBeaST

Thought I'd share some insight since not too many are running this company.

Geomet 1 Drilled/Slotted rotors:
Coated rotors that are truly drilled and slotted. They were about the same price as my Powerstops and the quality is much better. Rear rotors are actually drilled vs the powerstops 'dimples' in the rear that always kind of bugged me as "fake". Fitment was perfect.

Now the not so good....

The pads.... I put over 300 miles on them, tried bedding them twice, added brake fluid/bled them and even had the installation shop re-bleed them. They are that bad. They do stop the car. But the FiST now feels like a passenger car. The brakes have a lot of modulation and no bite. Much smoother for city driving/cruising, but spirited driving is not where they are comfortable. Feeling is very numb and you have to push the pedal farther during quick stops. These are probably on the same level as the freebie z23 Powerstop pads I got when I went with their brake kit. Really made me lose confidence in the car. Pretty bummed I put them on to be honest. Will most likely be switching to Hawk 5.0s front and rear after a week or so.

Previous brake set-up:
Powerstop Drilled SLotted rotors (lasted almost 40K)
Hawk 5.0 front pads
OEM motorcraft S rear pads
Thoughts: Nice modulation with good+initial bite, stopping power was excellent, a little imbalance with the rears being slightly more grabby and would cause a 'diving' feeling in certain situations (only I could feel it). Excellent brake dust. At first I missed the OEM front's bites but after switching to the R1Concepts pads I've decided I liked the bite of the front 5.0s. Feedback was excellent.

Previous previous brake set-up:
Powerstop Drilled slotted rotors (same)
OEM motorcraft S front pads
OEM motorcraft S rear pads (same)
thoughts: Loved the initial bite but my passengers didn't, parking lot speed braking was like an on/off switch, loved them for spirited driving, hated the brake dust and shorter pad life. Loved the feedback.

So all said and done I'm bummed I had to switch pads with the new rotors. I will most likely be going to Hawk 5.0s front and rear or OEM if the pricing is that different. Guess the lesson learned is you get what you pay for with brake pads....

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Good feedback. I personally couldn’t stand the hawk 5.0 and went back to OEM S. I need initial bite.

Erick_V

I'm not a fan of the 5.0 pads either. If I didn't have the ones on the car and a new set in my garage I would happily go back to OEM pads. Haven't heard of Geomet, will have to take a look at their site.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #4
Good feedback. I personally couldn’t stand the hawk 5.0 and went back to OEM S. I need initial bite.
That's what I thought but the Hawks grew on me. Especially since they don't fade as fast as oem during cone events.

The Hawks are miles better than these R1s. The tech at the shop said 'they feel like regular brakes to me'. Which is an insult on a larger braked 2700lb car. I want sporty or aggressive brakes.

These r1 pads are a no go if you didn't like the 5.0s. now you guys have me considering OEM pads and investment in a quality wheel sealant.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
The OE S-pads have the great initial bite that few aftermarket STREET pads can match. Too bad about the dust.

Just about any aftermarket ceramic pad is gonna lack that confidence-inspiring "dropped anchor" feel of the OE pads.

I'm on my second set of ceramics. They work fine. They last longer than the OEs. But definitely don't feel like the OE S-pad.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #6
The OE S-pads have the great initial bite that few aftermarket STREET pads can match. Too bad about the dust.

Just about any aftermarket ceramic pad is gonna lack that confidence-inspiring "dropped anchor" feel of the OE pads.

I'm on my second set of ceramics. They work fine. They last longer than the OEs. But definitely don't feel like the OE S-pad.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
I noticed this with the hawk 5.0s to an extent although I had rear oem pads so initial bite was decent if a little unbalanced. I'd rate OEM pads as 9/10 initial bite and hawk 5.0 fronts/OEM rears a 7/10. These R1Concepts sport pads are not ceramic as far as I know so I had high hopes, unfortunately I'd rate them 4/10. The pad material is listed as "high friction compound", which is different from their ceramic pads.

I guess the oems are just that good....

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #7
After a few 'oh shit' moments I bit the bullet and got OEM motorcraft pads. It was unsafe to drive, and unbalanced with my other mods. I still can't believe how bad these r1 concepts are. They even dust horribly in front. Hoping the rotors are decent as I wasn't about to buy my 2nd full brake set. r1concepts also doesn't have a satisfaction guarantee or trial period.

Can't wait to get my new pads on today. Going to start using wheel sealant as well.

What rotors are you using. I am thinking Centric and hawk 5.0. Maybe Motorcraft pads. But dust and though very good they lasted only 30,000. I need a solid bite when I have to stop. Anybody ever tried to get a turn out of their stock rotors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #9
What rotors are you using. I am thinking Centric and hawk 5.0. Maybe Motorcraft pads. But dust and though very good they lasted only 30,000. I need a solid bite when I have to stop. Anybody ever tried to get a turn out of their stock rotors?

I had the PowerStop drilled/slotted rotors with OEM and hawk 5.0s and they were great.

I now have the r1 concepts geomet drilled/slotted rotors. As much as a hassle r1 was to deal with and I would never give them my money again, they are nicer rotors than the PowerStop set I had.

Now that I have motorcraft brf 1444 and 1494 pads combined with the geomet rotors, I am in love with my brakes again. The Hawks 5.0 fronts with motorcraft rears on PowerStop rotors didn't have as much bite and smoothness as my new set up.

I'd recommend OEM, the Hawks are great but don't have the same initial bite. Same overall power. Unless you absolutely can't stand the dust I don't see a better option.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #10
Honestly rotors don't make a huge difference if they are quality. I like drilled/slotted for looks. Most cone event and auto x driver's I know stick to the cheapest quality 'blanks' like the motorcraft. I didn't notice a difference in stopping power with different rotors, just different feel.

Honestly rotors don't make a huge difference if they are quality. I like drilled/slotted for looks. Most cone event and auto x driver's I know stick to the cheapest quality 'blanks' like the motorcraft. I didn't notice a difference in stopping power with different rotors, just different feel.
I have to run blanks because where I live I am on gravel all the time.
A little bit extra bite on the rear would be nice on gravel. What would happen if I got vented disks for the rear. Would they be too thick for the stock caliper? Everybody I talk to is negative about it, though I have seen it done. Pretty sure I will go with Motorcraft pads.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #12
I have to run blanks because where I live I am on gravel all the time.
A little bit extra bite on the rear would be nice on gravel. What would happen if I got vented disks for the rear. Would they be too thick for the stock caliper? Everybody I talk to is negative about it, though I have seen it done. Pretty sure I will go with Motorcraft pads.

The geomets are a truly vented rear design while my PowerStops were not. If you get the proper rotors fitment won't be an issue. However I think the slots would help more than venting as that has to do more with heat.

Slots help clear debris and water which would help with initial bite in dirt if your rotors were covered, but overall I would say they don't increase bite in other circumstances.

I like the look of drilled/slotted rotors, they do have better initial bite in the wet and they take a little longer to fade. But your fronts are more important than rears, I'd do those first.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kivnul Suspension, Brakes & Chassis 10