Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

RAAM raising the shifter, part 1, hardest part done!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I am doing a few things to raise the shifter.

1) raise the base mount by using metric 25mm nuts on the stock studs at the tunnel, parts on order.

2) the mount is two piece so I took it apart, can get it out without taking the console out that way, modify it to add more height to the top section, DONE, today, pretty intense job, raised the rear side 1", front side 1.4" to bring the shifter closer to the driver.

3) lengthen shift arm, this would normally make the shift throw longer but I already compensated for that yesterday with my SS build. This would be a bit tough to do and retain the reverse lockout but I do have an idea that might not be to tough.

4) taller shift knob, still sorting that out, I have a 3.5" tall delrin race knob I may use, cut off the threads, add proper ones, etc....it will take some work to make it look right so I might buy the longest screw on one that works I can find.

I want the knob as close to the steering wheel and high as possible without any interference issues, most race cars are done this way for good reason and I am going to have a very quick ST driven all out on many tracks so fast, accurate shifts are a must, one bad shift can end in a blown engine, an off, both.....not fun.

Stock two part shifter mount, sorry for the blurry photo.

Bottom section.

Back section removed, slot to be cut in the middle brace area, I was going to reuse the part but realized it was going to be a compromise so the job became much bigger at that point.

3/16" steel insert I made to raise the top section.

Inserted, I will add washers to the bottom on the front and back to raise the whole mount as far as I can on the stock studs until I get the long nuts I have on order.

The only "tubing I could find the right diameter was a craftsman 12mm long socket, lucky I had three so one was sacrificed for this ST.

3 corner welded, ground and then not shown but the front stock screws were used through the socket into the plastic on the other side, very snug and strong connection.

Angled stand offsets made to compensate for moving the top mount forward 3/16" and lifted at the front to bring the shifter close to the driver, braced with welded in rod.

Bolted together, tested on several axis and it is very solid, more so than stock yet it still has the rubber bushings so as not to transmit to much harshness.

Not show are 2 different types of screws going from the rear forward to tie the fabricated section into the rear and front parts where I slotted it to get the section inserted, this is all very very strong now.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #2
Only thing I regret is not having a need to use the dimple dies, I have been dying to dimple dies on this car but just have not been able to yet.

BMW nuts car got some good dimple die parts, this is the very first part I ever made using them or folding over a gusset for and xbraced door bar.

Great work, I would love to see the finished form and how it looks as the shifter is close to the steering wheel. Good luck!

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Wow, that is long, 150mm!

Might be great but would certainly want an SS kit and maybe a shorter throw like I made.

I am interested but maybe a bit shorter.

I will post pics up of the finished setup:)
I have the delrin knob that is 88mm, they make one 113mm, neither fits. I could weld a new end on the shift arm with the right threads but the reverse lockout is entirely wrong fitment.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
Thanks, I figured it out as I went and quite happy with it so far, did not install yet, got to hot, to tired, beer time....then today on errands in the city, huge storm and lost power for hours.......I will put it in tomorrow but cannot tell everything about it until I get the parts and finish the LSD install.

I might have some tweaking to do on this part and the SS mod I did the day before.

One of the next things to work on is moving the accel cable to a better location, I have the materials and tools to to make it from steel the easiest or aluminum but not billet like the one being sold but my cost DIY would be peanuts compared!

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Very nice Rick, cant wait to see this project completed.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
It is installed and fits like a glove and is very solid, I gained about 1.25".

I tilted it back toward the driver a bit with the front being higher that the rear to bring the shifter back a bit more.

Routing the cables properly was not to bad, just unbolt the antenna that crosses over them, put them on top, bolt it back on, no parts, mods, etc...but a bit hard to get to.

With the sides of the console off I can probably work from there to do the next step.

There is clearance for everything to still raise the whole mount from the bottom so I am ordering some extra long, 25mm, metric nuts to put onto the stock studs with some spacers or short nuts under them, install the mount and short bolts, it will be very solid just. " mo

I can gain at least 1.5 more height and the put on a taller knob.....

When doing the SS mount on the transaxle I purposely made it shorter than the MT one to compensate for the taller knob.

When done no hitting the console lid with my elbow so a longer rest would fit and be a nice addition as I sit close to the steering wheel for more control of what I am doing while on track. I go as far back as possible of course, seat lowered all the way, steering wheel all the way back, I set it up as close to what a real race car for track stuff, there is a reason they do this:)

Heading back to the shop, time to finish setting the backlash on the diff and get the LSD install done today:)

Rick

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
Shifter is in the car, LSD install finished today, short shifter installed, shifter works great but very short throws, as planned.

I have some M6 coupling nuts on the way, I can install them through the sides of the console so do not have to take the shifter out, I can raise the shifter another 1" or so, probably 1.25" or more.

I still have to figure out a taller shift knob and might have to bend the shift lever a bit to get it where I want it, the taller knob was planned, why I made the throws a bit short as it will add to it and balance it out.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Part II is done, I will post the pics and a little tutorial later, it was a bit tougher than I thought since already split and raised the mount. I did it by working from underneath and leaving the modified mount in place as it would of been really hard to get it back in.

Next phase, taller knob and bend the lever to be closer to the steering wheel and maybe back a bit more.

Ford Community Posts