Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Radar Detectors

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I had all my highest cost tickets when I had a detector and then got rid of it and have driven hundreds of thousands at high speeds with never getting one but always keeping a lookout, etc......I went across WA state every weekend for 6 months, 335 miles, 75milles of 2 lane with a few stop lights, up over a high pass, etc....average trip was 4 hours with a gas stop. Then I hooked up the trailer and headed back to SoCal and got a ticket two hours later for 65 in a 55 and it was hard to not laugh my arse off:)

I get about 1 barely over ticket every ten years or so now and some silly crap ticket once ever few years, money maker tickets..but now, they are looking for revenue so will write up anything they can to make a buck, I put it on 5 over and just cruise along and play a bit when I know they cannot see me. When towing I go at or below the limit as 80 is hard on fuel when the total weight is close to 30,000 lbs.

It is far more relaxing, I save the fun for the track, much more fun, hugely more fun, it may seem to cost a lot but I have dirt cheap great insurance and no tickets so not really that expensive when looked at that way;)

OP
Original J-Pat

Original J-Pat

Thread Starter #22
Well the reason to buy one is cause I got a fat ticket for going 80 in a 65 on an empty freeway after dropping off my dad at LAX like 4 in the morning and I'm a college student that plays football and works part time so that hit me pretty hard and every once awhile when u wana just punch it on the open freeway it'll be more reassuring I would think. I've been driving for 5 years and that was my first ever ticket so it's not like i get them all the time but when I do it's a pain in the butt.

cxwrench

Driving significantly over the limit is obviously asking for it. With the current technology available to law enforcement (laser/lidar/instant-on) driving much over the limit with no other traffic around is really asking for it. Punching it at 4.00am in an area like L.A. when you're the only car on the road is pretty much begging for it.
If I'm alone the most I'll go is 5 over whatever the limit is. With instant-on you will get zero warning. You might as well not even have the detector if you are going to really drive fast. The only time a radar detector will help is when there is some traffic on the road with you. As the traffic in front of you gets hit by radar or laser your detector will most like go off giving you some warning. Years ago (15 or more) when I first got the V1 there was still lots of radar that officers would just leave on, or keep on for decent amounts of time. Now it seems like you get very short little beeps when instant-on is used so you really have to pay attention. At this point I think RAAM is right...you really don't need a detector. As long as you use your eyes and your brain you can drive quickly and efficiently and the detector isn't a huge help.

That said, I've never been pulled over in 15+ years with it, so I'll keep it for good luck. [twothumb]

I never speed. But I have a V1. And love it. I feel naked without it.

I have it because I like to go from 0 to speed limit as fast as my car can go. So before I do, I check the detector. And look around. Plus. With this car and my old integra, on Ramps are sling shots!

During the winter, the suction cups do not work. And I have winter tires on, so no point in hard acceleration. I may not even hit boost this winter. The detector will stay inside the house until the summer tires are back on.