Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Radio and A/C off when turning off the FiST?

I just recently put a new battery in, and I have always just turned the car off with A/C and radio on. Does it make a difference one way or the other? Thanks.

I just recently put a new battery in, and I have always just turned the car off with A/C and radio on. Does it make a difference one way or the other? Thanks.
I don't believe it does. Is there anything you're trying to gain or avoid by turning them off prior to engine shutdown?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
It makes no difference at all if you leave the radio or AC on or not.
Once the car is turned off the countdown timer starts, after that time, all circuits are shut off to prevent battery drain, like if you left the lights on.
There is of course one exception and that is the keep alive circuits.
These are the clock, external door locks, and remote receiver, I am sure you can understand why.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I believe Greenenvy was asking about the added strain on the battery/charging system during the next startup if these are left on for the ignition off shut down, and not that they would keep running and drawing current after the shut down itself, but I could be wrong about that. [dunno]

Greenenvy??

I personally turn everything off, the rationale being, why chance/bother straining/weakening an even new and strong (AGM which I have or not) battery on start up by leaving this stuff on?

I always have the radio and A/C off before shut down. That little glowing lamp indicates that the a/c clutches are energized. The clutches are electro magnetic. When energized they not only use power, they add cranking resistance by engagement of the compressor, which equals wear and tear. So, it's detrimental in two ways.
The former flat rate mechanic in me recommends that (if you have extra disposable income) you always have all lights and accessories turned on full tilt when cranking the engine! There are many mechanics out there with child support payments and other revenue sucking costs to deal with.

Last edited: