Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Radio Won't Turn Off

I went to Barber the Monday before Thanksgiving. After I put my car into "accident detection mode" or whatever you call it, my radio will not turn off. I have tried disconnecting the battery, pulling the fuse to the radio, and updating Sync. I went the USB route to update Sync. Once the USB was plugged in I did get a message that Sync was updating, but it would never complete. I'd say I let it "update" for an hour or so. Aside from taking the damn thing into Ford, I'm not sure what to do at this point. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Intuit

3000 Post Club
What year?
Do you have the built in "Nav" option?

It is risky as hell to update the non-nav vehicles. Third party solutions are required in order for that to occur.

There's a time-delayed relay that is responsible for signaling the shutdown of many feature devices in the vehicle. The radio though it doesn't seem to be hardwired to it, is programmed to monitor this. Is this relay shutting off your dome lights?

What precisely did you alter when creating the issue?

OP
T
Thread Starter #3
It's a 2016, and to my knowledge I do not have the navigation option. The dome lights do shut off once the car is turned off.

OP
T
Thread Starter #5
What I mean to say is that everything else seems to turn off normally aside from the radio. The radio issue only presented after putting the car into "accident detection mode" on track.

OP
T
Thread Starter #7
Man, I wish that worked. I've already disconnected my battery as well as pulled the fuse to the radio. Neither of them resolved the issue.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
@Tullmaster33 Had the same issue on my '14. Just pull the battery cable and let it reset and be back on your way (y) It only happened to me the one time.
I wish that there was a way to get the whole system to reset without having to disconnect the battery cable every single time a CD (remember them??) gets stuck inside the player (I get a "no disc" message on the screen when the eject button is pushed with a disc most definitely still in there).

The full system reset in the settings does not do a damned thing to fix this at all. [:(] [mad]

I suspect that whatever button sequence you used didn't actually do anything for a mode I don't think our cars have but what it did do was reset your radio to always on. At this point you need to find a real Forscan Pro or find a Ford Dealers who cares enough to correct your mistake with their tools.

OP
T
Thread Starter #14
I can assure you that your car can indeed detect an accident despite not having been in one. Regardless, I think utilizing forscan is the solution to my problem at this point.

I'm not saying that the Fiesta doesn't have a crash detection system, just that the USA model doesn't have a "mode" that turns this feature off. Note, the Euro ST does have a Sport mode that does turn off the crash detection however we in the US didn't get that feature.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
The 2016 non-nav cars like mine could not be easily updated so Ford replaced it and many others...........The new unit has automatically updated via Wifi just 3 days ago. At this point you may just need to find a used Sync 3.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I can assure you that your car can indeed detect an accident despite not having been in one. Regardless, I think utilizing forscan is the solution to my problem at this point.
Sorry for the delay. Sounds like this may have been intended to address a potential issue with 911 Assist. When in a wreck and the car shuts off, there's a possibility that the radio shutting off might interfere with 911 Assist. Try turning 911 Assist off though... resetting the radio I'd think would have the same impact; so long as the phone wasn't reconnected. While I generally don't recommend/trust third party images, it might be worth the risk since the current state of that unit is unsustainable. If you require help finding it on the forum, just let us know.

I'm not saying that the Fiesta doesn't have a crash detection system, just that the USA model doesn't have a "mode" that turns this feature off. Note, the Euro ST does have a Sport mode that does turn off the crash detection however we in the US didn't get that feature.
I'm sure their legal department had a hand in that decision. Since it wouldn't cost them a penny to implement the change, they took the Legal Dept's suggestion this time.

The 2016 non-nav cars like mine could not be easily updated so Ford replaced it and many others...........The new unit has automatically updated via Wifi just 3 days ago. At this point you may just need to find a used Sync 3.
Not only could they not be updated without third-party modified image, but could be crippled or bricked in the process of using the OEM methods. I suspect it was only the latter that would trigger a replacement, rather than the fact that it just "didn't work". Matters with faulting hardware aside, Ford definitely had a learning curve between Microsoft's Sync 2 and their in-house Linux/Android based Sync 3.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Is there a cutoff point build date for the '16s where they switched from the older system to Sync 3??

Or is it every single 2016 model and up build date which received the Sync 3 units?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I think it was just the Nav vs Non-Nav that determined whether one had issues with updating. The non-nav hardware configuration reportedly has less onboard storage or/and RAM; not enough for the universally deployed image. I had kind of assumed all ST '14 and up were Sync 3?

Woods247

2000 Post Club
This is false. The UK guys unplug a crash sensor under their hood to disable crash detection. We don’t have that crash sensor on US cars. We have to completely disable the RCM to prevent false-crash detection. After the crash detection is present in the RCM, ForScan can be used to clear it. I’ve spent years troubleshooting this issue.