Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rear brake grinding

Hi all,

I replaced all pads and rotors on my 2017 FiST April 2022. I used a caliper windback tool for the rears. I ended up parking my parking it in the garage Feb of this year in gear with the parking brake on for 2 months. When I started driving it again the rear brakes were hanging up and the parking brake had a lot of slop in it.

I ordered new motorcraft rear brake caliper brackets and installed them. I had to wind the calipers back as they were kind of a pain to slide over the pads. Driving it after the install, the parking brake still has a huge amount of slop. It won't hold the car on my driveway unless it is in the very top position. The driver's side rear brake is still hanging up, I can feel the wheel is warm and caliper is hot, especially compared to the other side.

Should my next step be a new caliper? Thanks

the duke

The parking brake has a self-adjusting mechanism into the handle, so there shouldn't be any change to the tension. It's possible the cable has stretched.

As for the sticking caliper, I'd recommend replacing the slide pins with new ones (And grommets) and re-greasing with new Caliper Grease (Probably a dark grey Moly grease, but use caliper specific grease). This is something that needs to happen often with these calipers (I do it every time I swap pads, race or street pads) and even I had replaced all 4 corners just as a precaution. Never had a sticking caliper in 10 years and I beat the shit out of my brakes on the track.

The other thing with the rear is to simply drive the car and consume a bit of the pads as you could be running into a MAX/MIN condition with the pad width and the pads might be a bit large. I ran into this last summer, even having the caliper piston fully retracted it was a bear to get over the pads. After a month or two of driving it eventually eroded enough of the pad it permitted the caliper to finally slide/float and essentially self-clearanced.