Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rear Sway Bar — Testing?

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Currently rocking the Hotchkis Rear bar.

Noticed reduced body roll and more linear, predictable rear “slide/oversteer” when pushing the car hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A
Thread Starter #3
Currently rocking the Hotchkis Rear bar.

Noticed reduced body roll and more linear, predictable rear “slide/oversteer” when pushing the car hard.
Yeah, that's what I just installed also, Hotchkis #22447R, had the 22mm solid Whiteline bar that I just removed. Didn't like that the Whiteline was in the way when jacking the car by the axle beam, and it was pretty heavy.

Hotchkis is lighter (it's hollow 22mm vs solid 22mm) and fits better (precisely made to fit close on the 2018 car whereas the Whiteline had some minor issues and uses a thick spacer)... not sure what the difference is driving as I've only just driven it on the street this evening, but seems OK.

I will find out on Sunday. Certainly preferred it with the bar as opposed to without, probably about 2 seconds or more difference... Not sure if the weight back there was bad, but trying this one. Actually it's only about 3 lbs (unsprung weight) difference so I probably can't tell, and may be a bit softer as it's tubular. There were people trying a lot of different rear sway bars a few years back, so I was hoping to get some more insight. Also some people ran a bigger front bar instead.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
my biggest question is if these will clear the evap skidplate.

I thought about the Hotchkis, and wound up going with the Pierce Torsion bar.

For another $100, I got the entire Street suspension kit, which from what I've read transforms the car.

I'll report back when I get it installed Thursday.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Cool. Id like to go back to stock height on coilovers and add a rear bar. I also need new front brace since that rock incident, lol.

OP
A
Thread Starter #8
Update... seems fine with the Hotchkis, perhaps not as aggressive rotating off throttle as the Whiteline, but there's not much difference. Still about 1-2 seconds faster than the "reference" cars (46.8 vs 48.1/49.1 today) but any decreasing radius stuff was so incredibly sweet before with the Whiteline bar, now it takes a little more work. Also ran with a full tank of gas this time rather than the customary 1/4 tank, not sure what difference it made either. Need to set up some cones and do a lot of testing. Also this is a sunroof car (which is bad news) wonder what difference that would make versus no sunroof.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Update... seems fine with the Hotchkis, perhaps not as aggressive rotating off throttle as the Whiteline, but there's not much difference. Still about 1-2 seconds faster than the "reference" cars (46.8 vs 48.1/49.1 today) but any decreasing radius stuff was so incredibly sweet before with the Whiteline bar, now it takes a little more work. Also ran with a full tank of gas this time rather than the customary 1/4 tank, not sure what difference it made either. Need to set up some cones and do a lot of testing. Also this is a sunroof car (which is bad news) wonder what difference that would make versus no sunroof.
it would be interesting to add my camber plates into that mix lol.

OP
A
Thread Starter #10
it would be interesting to add my camber plates into that mix lol.
I would be interested in front and rear camber plates if I move into the STH class... lower ride height so we don’t tip this thing over. Rear isn’t allowed in HS anyway and I’m not sure it would help with front grip needed, but yes, it would be great to test.

Erick_V

How do you guys like the rear sway bar or even the front sway bar? I have coils, a rear torsion brace and a 2pt front brace. I also got a little toe out on my last allignment to test it out. I autocross my car and I feel like the car is very predictable. Car is easy to make oversteer when I want. I'm in Street Mod so pretty much anything is game for me at this point.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
^ thats where im classed. Only on drop springs for suspension mods and its been struggle city for getting better times.

kevinatfms

I found with the Eibach rear bar, Swift springs and Bilstein B8's may be the limit for the car on track. I had massive oversteer at an event this past weekend that i tried everything to remedy. The weather didnt help(sub 40 degrees the whole day) but even with rear tire pressure down to 30psi it still wanted to oversteer at the limit. I think a slightly smaller rear bar or upsized front bar would help me at this point.

My setup was:
39psi F - warm
30psi R - warm
Swift Springs
Bilstein B8's
Eibach RSB
TB Performance front traction bar/rear brace
15x7 Sparco Terras w/ 205/50R15 RS-RR's
MFactory LSD

Car was exceptional once i got down to 30 in the rear. Anything higher and it wanted to oversteer right as i hit the middle of the apex, almost felt like snap oversteer. Once i aired down to 30 it felt comfortable through the turn.

I have another event on Jan 12 which ill remove the rear bar and see how it performs. Other than the rear bar everything will be the same. If it does that much better ill have to yank the bar every time i hit the track versus keeping the bar on for autocrosses.

OP
A
Thread Starter #17
I want more rotation like that. Its my driving style.
I would increase the front grip first as much as possible, set camber and tire pressures for even temps while hard cornering is one way to evaluate... but a large RSB certainly helps with that (sort of like boosting the spring rate in the rear outside wheel in a turn provides more pressure for the front inside wheel in that turn)

I found with the Eibach rear bar, Swift springs and Bilstein B8's may be the limit for the car on track. I had massive oversteer at an event this past weekend that i tried everything to remedy. The weather didnt help(sub 40 degrees the whole day) but even with rear tire pressure down to 30psi it still wanted to oversteer at the limit. I think a slightly smaller rear bar or upsized front bar would help me at this point.

Car was exceptional once i got down to 30 in the rear. Anything higher and it wanted to oversteer right as i hit the middle of the apex, almost felt like snap oversteer. Once i aired down to 30 it felt comfortable through the turn.

I have another event on Jan 12 which ill remove the rear bar and see how it performs. Other than the rear bar everything will be the same. If it does that much better ill have to yank the bar every time i hit the track versus keeping the bar on for autocrosses.

I had very similar experiences with B6s/Pierce Rear/Swifts- it felt great, until all of the sudden it didn't.
I think it was the compounding effect of the rear bar and the heavier rear springs, so I pulled the bar between runs and did much, much better.

I want more rotation like that. Its my driving style.
When I experienced it, it was much more of a snap oversteer situation- it rotated nicely, especially around constant radius turns, but the setup I had was sketchy in slaloms- everything felt fine, and the next thing you know, you get a great view of the cone you just passed.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I plan to either run ksport colivers or b6 dampers and whiteline springs. Havent really decided