Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rear visibility very bad

I just bought a Fiesta ST and I love the car. I am 6’5 and this car is actually alot roomier than my last car (2004 Chevy Cavalier). That being said there is this weird issue that i have never experienced in the dozens of cars i have driven in my life, the “vertical” visibility from the rear view mirror is awful. With my head in my normal driving position due to the slope of the roof i can only see about 5 car lengths behind me, does anyone else experience this? It is unsettling to me not being able to see very far behind, would changing or moving the rear view mirror help at all? I was thinking about getting an auto dimming mirror with garage opener anyways...

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I just bought a Fiesta ST and I love the car. I am 6’5 and this car is actually alot roomier than my last car (2004 Chevy Cavalier). That being said there is this weird issue that i have never experienced in the dozens of cars i have driven in my life, the “vertical” visibility from the rear view mirror is awful. With my head in my normal driving position due to the slope of the roof i can only see about 5 car lengths behind me, does anyone else experience this? It is unsettling to me not being able to see very far behind, would changing or moving the rear view mirror help at all? I was thinking about getting an auto dimming mirror with garage opener anyways...
No...do not move the mirror as it sits in the perfect place on your windshield for a reason. The mirror does have the lever to flip down to mimick auto dim style rear view mirrors. I wish it was an option for the FiST ...buy it's an econobox pocket rocket. Gotta save money somewhere....even though I would've shelled out extra for it and to have the Garage door opened built in too. I think you can get another mirror from the fiesta titanium and wire it in also....maybe though.....not 100% on that.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

It’s really all about angles so another mirror MIGHT help but no promises

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tilt my rearview up and adjust my driver side door mirror inward and upward as my go to rear facing cop spotter. 👮‍♂👁👁

Spork1569

I only just learned about this the other day on reddit, but our backseats have a button to fold down the headrest.

I have since finding out drive with them folded always as it let's me see just a little bit more. Worth a shot.

Not if I do what I say I done did 😯
I took out the rear head rests for the build and forgot to put em back in. I guess it helps see license plates of truck douches that crawl up my ass at stop lights. That’s the closest they ever get to me. Bye bye 👋💪🇺🇸

I agree with this, and I'm not even tall (5'9") - other cars/trucks have vastly superior rear visibility.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
The vast majority of new vehicles have visibility issues this is due to improvements in the safety structure with larger pillars.
You didn't say what year your car was I'm assuming it's used because the 2018 and later had rear view cameras. Nothing is stopping you from adding a rear view camera.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
thedraque
Thread Starter #15
The vast majority of new vehicles have visibility issues this is due to improvements in the safety structure with larger pillars.
You didn't say what year your car was I'm assuming it's used because the 2018 and later had rear view cameras. Nothing is stopping you from adding a rear view camera.

its a 2019, it has rear camera but only when in reverse, i have a reverse dashcam as well but its screen is too small to use for vision, just recording

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I don't know what to tell you. Get any vehicle today it's going to have poor rear visibility pretty much guaranteed. I drive a Isuzu cabover all day so I'm very use to not having any rear visibility access at all.

Last edited:

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
There are Gentex mirrors out there with the Homelink buttons and auto dimming that you can easily install. They are OEM on tons of cars and you can either hit up the junkyard or ebay. People even make kits for the wiring for them. There is a write up or 2 on this forum about it. It won't fix your visibility problem (Being tall is not always worth it) but it will at least make the mirror nicer.

OP
thedraque
Thread Starter #19
I don't know what to tell you. Get any vehicle today it's going to have poor rear visibility pretty much guaranteed. I drive a Isuzu cabover all day so I'm very use to not having any rear visibility access at all.

ok yeah. ill just learn to deal with it. thanks

DangerMouse

I have a clip on Broadway mirror, helps big time. I also ran without rear headrests for a couple years but now that I sold my other car this one does kid duty now, so headrests are back in.