Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

remove stock CBE without cutting it-possible?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Is it possible to remove the factory exhaust system INTACT, without sawzalling it??

Does everyone just cut it only because it is easier and quicker to do so, or does it HAVE TO be done that way in order to remove it?

Thanks in advance,

Dave H.

I just did my cat-back two days ago and I cut it off because I had already jacked up the car and removed the bolts and didn't want to lower it and change the jacking points. From looking at it I believe if you have it on stands from the actual jack points (for the jack that comes with the car) and removed the midship brace you'd probably be able to get it out. I had mine jacked up and sitting on the rear axel so with that compressed it wouldn't have been possible. Also the jack points have a thin lip that goes straight down that I'm sure would bend if you lowered onto jack stands.

The only way it could possibly work is sliding it out the back and I don't think it's gonna happen without dropping the subframe. It's pretty long, there's lots of bends and the resonator is decently big.

Yeah, I don't see any reason not to cut it out. I saw the OEM exhaust for sale $75 bucks shipped...not even worth the trouble. Cut it out! [like]

jeff

2000 Post Club
It can be done if you drop the rear. Is it worth it? Hell no! Cut that thing out
I'm about to install my CBE and I came to the same conclusion. If I ever wanted to go back to stock it would be well worth it to pay a welding shop to reattach the OEM piece so I could sell the aftermarket one. I'd just swap the old one back in, use some exhaust tape temporarily, drive it down to Midas, I can't see them charging more than $50-$100 to make that weld. Better than all the work involved to get it out in one piece.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I'm about to install my CBE and I came to the same conclusion. If I ever wanted to go back to stock it would be well worth it to pay a welding shop to reattach the OEM piece so I could sell the aftermarket one. I'd just swap the old one back in, use some exhaust tape temporarily, drive it down to Midas, I can't see them charging more than $50-$100 to make that weld. Better than all the work involved to get it out in one piece.
I agree. Especially if you decide to go back to stock imagine going through that process again? Nope, I'm good. I'll let the dude at meinekie weld it lol

OP
M-Sport fan

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
OK, thanks to all above. [thumb]

I guess it's a just Torca wide band clamp to hold it together until welded if I ever want to go back to stock once I install an aftermarket option. ;)

AzNightmare

I just installed my CBE a few days ago.
If you want a clean cut, use an exhaust pipe cutter. Takes a bit more time than a sawzall, but a way cleaner cut.

Took me about 5 mins and I was taking my sweet time.