Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Resonance "Bottle-Blowing" noise fix?! - Regarding "Odd Resonance Sound after Intake Install" post

Hey all,

Just bumping something I noticed when installing my new GFB DV+ adapter

Original Post: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/3317-Odd-Resonance-Sound-After-Intake-Install

My Reply:

Hey everyone I have been lurking these types of posts regarding the aftermarket intake resonance sound for a while now and I had an update you folks might be interested in.

I have had a MAPerformance intake installed on my car for about 3 months now and especially with a tune the resonance noise was annoying the **** out of me. I tried different tunes and some more than others kept the turbo spooled and air flowing thru the intake system at a speed/velocity where the resonance noise didn't bother me too much but there were obviously trade-offs and it seemed like i could have a tune that drove crappy and reduced the bottle blowing noise, or i could have a good tune and the bottle blowing noise would increase.

Anyway, I also noticed some chirping on my stock diverter valve which got me interested in the GFB DV+ adapter

SO..... after 3 days of running the DV+ i cannot for the life of me replicate the resonance noise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have tried replicating the noise with the car at cold start in cold weather, warmed up in warm weather, and any combination of these conditions - absolutely no noise! It has been a bit warmer here in MN lately and in the hot weather i for sure get no resonance. I drove to work this morning and it was around 62 degrees mild humidity (a case where I was getting resonance before) and its not happening even it that condition.....

SO perhaps this noise is caused by the stock diverter valve??? Is anyone getting this resonance noise running a BOV?? TO me it kind of makes sense that since the aftermarket intake makes the diverter valve "pshh" off throttle louder that it would make any other funny noise caused by the diverter valve louder.

Either way im a bit suprised, with what I am experiencing lately and I am interested in yalls thoughts on this

Thanks,
JS

Let me know what you guys think and if any of you are running a BOV but still getting the annoying induction bottle-blowing noise - because that would kind of disprove this theory I have going here...

-JS

not sure if its the same noise, my car, at a certain rpm/load/throttle combination makes a low pitch bottle blowing noise and I keep thinking is a bearing issue in my transmission, mostly because it has to be in gear and driving to happen.

I'd actually like to know what it is too... if it's the same noise, car is all stock except cpe rmm and cobb stage 1... for now.. until I find the time to sit down and pull everything out of my car for a nice swap of parts.

OP
J
Thread Starter #3
not sure if its the same noise, my car, at a certain rpm/load/throttle combination makes a low pitch bottle blowing noise and I keep thinking is a bearing issue in my transmission, mostly because it has to be in gear and driving to happen.

I'd actually like to know what it is too... if it's the same noise, car is all stock except cpe rmm and cobb stage 1... for now.. until I find the time to sit down and pull everything out of my car for a nice swap of parts.
yep that is probably the noise. It only happens under load (when foot is on gas pedal) and goes away immediately upon liftoff. for me it was 1.9-2.5k rev range. Now it seems to be gone :D

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I could be wrong...but if it's what I think it is, it's the sound of the turbo.

My engine is all stock except for a drop-in Mountune air filter but I was getting that sound even before I placed the drop-in filter in whenever I gave it enough gas to trigger it.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

This thread is hilarious! All turbochargers have natural harmonics, these are the noises that you will hear. Whoosh, r2d2, whoosh, rinse and repeat.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Without these noises you may as well be blind while driving at a track.

well i disagree. none of my previous turboed cars had this oddly flat bottle blowing noise.

I expect spooling noise as well as blowoff/recirc noises, not this weird unpleasant noise.

but what do i know, probably nothing. but knowing nothing is enough to know that this noise would not affect driving at the tracks at all, blinded or not.

We dont necessarily get what we expect, especially when comparing a car to another car. My comment was a bit vaguely the second part. This "bottle blowing noise" is pure character. It affects how you perceive the vehicle to behave, not how well it let's you drive.