Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Roof-mounted Light Bars?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I would pass on non SAE/ECE approved on road lighting especially cop attention grabbing off road light bars. It is probably not illegal to have them but is to use them on the road. "In the day" if your British, German, Italian sports car needed long range driving and fog lights it was a third party that provided them and the brackets to mount them on chrome bumpers or grills. We have the same options we have had for many, many years even on race cars. Mounting is not as simple as my long haul '73 SAAB 99's front bumper but it can be done on a FiST I'm sure as we need mainly only long range driving lights. Well engineered outside of Wuhan ,China. LOL! Lights from long term auxiliary light companies like Hella or Cibie properly mounted on the front bumper/grill area is the best places for them although I'm not sure with our stock radiator. I will find out this coming summer when the Mountune goes in my Fifi. Skip the light splattering 3rd party "conversions" of reflectors not designed for HID or LED's. In the USA if it says it is DOT approved run like hell, they do not approve or disapprove of any lighting devices. The USA(SAE) and EU(ECE) have differing lighting laws. Many of today's cars made for the USA market have excellent LED headlights like in the current Mustang that are engineered to utilize LED's. In the EU/UK the ECE has a system of a maximum frontal illumination that is legal on the street and uses headlights, auxiliary and fog lights combined to reach that maximum limiting the lighting crazies there. It also specifies data on beam patterns to help select lighting upgrades. More lighting info on vehicle lighting in this Hella PDF if you are interested. On racetracks you have previous knowledge of what is probably over that hill or around a curve. Head/driving/fog lights cannot do that on a strange road for you, nighttime driving requires you to not overdrive your lighting and be prepared to react going over a hill or around a curve day or night. All the lights in the world cannot show you a deer in the road around that curve, a car backing out of a driveway or broken down over that hill.

Attachments