Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

SCCA Track Nights PBIR

Siestarider

Jonesing for the track, too hot down here for days. So I signed up for an SCCA track night at PBIR 6/28/16. Have no idea how its run vs the HPDE events I have been attending, but its late afternoon and early evening, three sessions each for beginners, inters and advanced, $150 to go. What's not to like? And if it turns out a good idea, there is one in July and one in August. Keep the cobwebs off till fall.

Going to run BFG SC-2's on Kosei wheels, my new street package courtesy of Chuckable's first child, who should be born around now, and did not need a hot rod FIST quite yet.

Anyone want to come out and play?

I've talked to a few of my friends with S2000s who have done just about every track event in the southeast, and that's one they do not recommend. Supposedly people get pretty reckless on the track, so I'm curious to hear your findings.

OP
S

Siestarider

Thread Starter #3
Neither advanced nor beginner classes are likely to have "reckless" drivers. If they exist, I should find them in intermediate. SCCA not likely to tolerate shenanigans on track.

I tend toward my (now past) bike approach on street, safer to pass than be passed. On track, pull detour into hot pits to loose annoying drivers.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
What sucks is that most of these track night in America events are during the week. Unless you live close by, the logistics just don't work. Take a day off from work to go racing for an hour and a half. Then have to drive another 2 1/2 hits back home and have to wake up at 5:30am to go to work next day. No thanks. I'd like to go, but they should have some Friday events to make it more palatable. Just my .02

OP
S

Siestarider

Thread Starter #5
Probably how they keep the cost down. I am fortunate to be 30 minutes from that track, less coming home after 10 pm on a weeknight.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
I know I'm jealous. Your right smack in the middle of Sebring and palm Beach. Lucky you .

I would go, but the end of this month isn't good for me as I have a vacation up to Minnesota. Keep us posted how you like it and let me know if you do it again. I would be very interested in joining. It would be a lot of fun to have another of the same car at the HPDE.

meFiSTo

I just go out last week with the SCCA kids at The Ridge Motorsports Park in Shelton, WA. It was my first visit to that track, so I ran with the novice group to do some recon. I ran the next day with another organization in an intermediate group. The SCCA event was fine; maybe a little less organized than some other events, but mostly low key. A guy in a 318i hatch did find a wall due to some gravel having been throw onto the track by someone else. I'll maybe do an informal (anecdotal) debrief in a separate thread regarding coolers, etc.

I just wanted to comment here that the local SCCA folks seemed to do fine for this event, although I THINK the guys actually running the event were from The Ridge Racing School.

OP
S

Siestarider

Thread Starter #10
SCCA Report: Low 90's to 89F when I left after 3rd session. Event ran like a watch, every session exactly on time to the minute. Obviously no incidents for that to happen. Great group of folks, down to earth track hounds. All round good time.

I was passed on back straight by a GTI that had quad exhausts, believe it a new R. Serious big end, and no slouch in the turns, I could not catch him.

Last session front brakes acting slightly wonky on first lap, gave it up for safety. Made it home, but I may have found the limits of stock rotor wear. We'll see tomorrow.

205/40/17 BFG SC's a little easier to drive than my 45/16's were, better communication. But couple seconds a lap slower than 215/45/16 Rival S. Heat did not help any.

OP
S

Siestarider

Thread Starter #12
Very good to hear! I can't wait to go. Do you think you will do it again?
Absolutely. I was skeptical of 20 min sessions, but they ran perfectly. Three sessions full bore is enough for one day, for me anyway. And the breaks were just long enough to handle data recording, take a walk, chat up a few drivers. Very attentive but not overbearing marshals. Price is right.

My wonky front brake was a failed pad, they were at the end of their life and I did not carefully check inside drivers' side pad, must have been less than 1/8" left, thats about what the other three had. it was gone before I got home, I did a lot of downshifting to avoid scoring the rotor.

So, I got about 9 track days and 10,000 miles from one stock set of fronts. Bout the same as original set. I am quicker now, mostly on stickier tires so harder on brakes. CMB ducts and Quaife LSD really help pad life.

I miked rotors, both sides averaged 22.2 mm. OEM pads are easy on rotors too. But they are showing heat checking now, after 20k miles and 19 track days, near the end for them too.

OP
S

Siestarider

Thread Starter #14
Oh man, I want that Quaife LSD so badly. If only I knew somewhere that could install it!
It is not really that hard to do. I paid a local tranny shop $800 to install mine, gave them all the parts and a tutorial, any good wrench can handle it. I found my shop by walking around tranny shops till I found a clean well organized one with a race car under cover in garage. Drag racer, but wrenching is wrenching. Chatted up the owner, we got comfortable together, shook hands.

Has 10,000 miles and 10 track days on it now, silent and effective on track. Best mod besides AP I have made, but on street not likely to make enough difference to be worth the cost.

OP
S

Siestarider

Thread Starter #15
Another PBIR track night coming up july 26, I'll run on the Rivals and shoot for a PB.

OP
S

Siestarider

Thread Starter #17
Sorry, my gopro and Harrys lap timer use the same mount, so data come first. I am a lousy photographer anyway.