Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sequential Transmission?

Garrett

Active Duty U.S. Army
I was curious if anyone can point me in the direction on if there is a sequential swap for the Fiesta ST or if that is or isn't even an option and why

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Not a great idea for a regularly street driven ride unless you are absolutely certain of never being stuck in stop and go traffic jams, and are willing to spend the coin of rebuilding/'refreshing' the whole thing every 5K miles at most (on top of at least a $6K gearbox itself).

Those pure racing/rally clutches are also total 'on-off' switches and cannot be slipped at all (part of the reason for the above traffic jam admonishment [wink]).

the duke

Not a great idea for a regularly street driven ride unless you are absolutely certain of never being stuck in stop and go traffic jams, and are willing to spend the coin of rebuilding/'refreshing' the whole thing every 5K miles at most (on top of at least a $6K gearbox itself).

Those pure racing/rally clutches are also total 'on-off' switches and cannot be slipped at all (part of the reason for the above traffic jam admonishment [wink]).
But race car.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I was curious if anyone can point me in the direction on if there is a sequential swap for the Fiesta ST or if that is or isn't even an option and why
Quaife was talking about a 5-speed sequential dog-box that “could be driven to track days.” I had a non-sequential dog-box in a Fox body; it was miserable on the street and a wee bit faster on the track. I’d never again consider a dog-box on a street-driven car.

Motorcycles have had sequential transmissions for over 70 or 80 years and having ridden motorcycles since the late 70's there is one issue with a sequential that has the potential to get you hurt or killed. Say you are loafing along in 5th gear at 40 mph and you see a car coming from your left at speed. The fact that you have the green light is meaningless, if you don't do something really fast you are going to be hit square in your door by a car doing 40-50 mph. What you really need to do is go from fifth to second while dialing in full throttle so when you drop the clutch the car will launch HARD. With a sequential transmission you'll be going thru 3rd about the time you get hit. With the stock transmission it is one single sweep from fifth to third, so that car running the light won't have you to hit.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
That is probably a bit of a stretch in the above example. A lot of assumptions being made.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^But I do see his point of not being able to skip gears in general, even though the danger aspect might be a bit contrived, or exclusive to a given scenario.

Watch in car of a race/rally car when they must downshift, (it is especially more noticeable in floor shifted versions over steering column paddle shifters), they have to bang through every gear between the one they are currently in and the one they want.
Granted, this does not take very long given the precision of the gearbox/shifter and the skill of the driver, but it could still be longer than an H pattern downshift. [wink]

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
The scenario you guys are describing only lends to a sequential or automatic more. Especially skipping 5th to 3rd so quickly could lead to a mistake that leaves you locked out of 1st and effectively in neutral.

I don't cruise through higher speed intersections in high gear/ I'll drop a gear or two just in case I have a reason to accelerate so I'm not wasting time clutching and shifting in an emergency.