Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Shift knob weights

This is great, but fluid ounces are slighty different than ounces.

And for comparison, most weighted shift knobs that I've seen are sold with the weight in grams. Your scale appears to have a button that will allow it to display in grams, for ease of comparison.

OP
kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Thread Starter #3

And for comparison, most weighted shift knobs that I've seen are sold with the weight in grams. Your scale appears to have a button that will allow it to display in grams, for ease of comparison.
I’ll swap it in the morning and retest.

SteveS

1000 Post Club

Pint's a pound the world around. It's only different if the liquid isn't water.

I like my mountune. It’s light weight... I don’t get weighted shift knobs for the Fiesta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I like my mountune. It’s light weight... I don’t get weighted shift knobs for the Fiesta.
I did like my mountune, until the top started moving. It wouldn't come off, it just rotated around the central pin, usually when it got hot. I have the Ford carbon fiber now. It's one-piece, looks nice and feels okay, but I liked the smaller knob better for my car. This shifter doesn't need a heavy knob, IMO.

At least I'm not one of the poor guys here who tried 5 different knobs before they found one they liked! :D

OP
kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Thread Starter #7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I certainly notice it on track. The best one so far for me has been the larger Mustang version. The only grip i have with it is the center section gets hot in the sun. The Mountune spins just like XR650 states. Its quite annoying.

The Ford carbon knob is nice but its an odd shape and doesnt fit my hand well. Its also absolutely terrible with any sort of racing glove on(which i use for track events).

And i havent forgotten to reweigh them. I got sidelined this weekend when we bought my wife a new Explorer ST. So ill try to get to them tonight.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
At least I'm not one of the poor guys here who tried 5 different knobs before they found one they liked! :D
I had the Ford Performance carbon look knob waiting for this car 2 months BEFORE it was even delivered to me. [:)]

I am sooo glad that I made the right choice before even driving with it on the shifter. [wink]
But I do also have a Speed Dawg round one with the Ford Racing logo, and 2 (sort of) Magnetic color stripes running through it, which I never even tried yet. LOL [wink]

OP
kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Thread Starter #9
Revised weights added in grams. If anyone else can post up more it would be appreciated. Let’s get a whole list going.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Raceseng Ashiko Big Bore - 675 grams / 1.5 lbs (too heavy IMO)
Raceseng Orbature Big Bore - 476 grams / 1.05 lbs (Perfect to eliminate some notchiness of Boomba shifter with short shift adapter, worked well on CoolerWorx shifter as well)
Raceseng Circuit Cylinder 100 - 250 grams / .55 lbs (Works great with CoolerWorx shifter if you want some notchiness)

SrsBsns

I had a weighted knob on my old M3 and I loved it. I thought that the FiST would also be great with a weighted knob but I was dead wrong.

Weighted knobs destroy the feel of the trans and make the gearbox feel completely numb.

After playing around with a weighted knob for a few weeks, I went to one I got of CJ Pony Parts and one that's lighter than stock and it's fantastic.

OP
kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Thread Starter #15
I ordered a few more from ebay and amazon to test out. Going to try out some delrin versions that dont have the reverse lockout cut into it(i have an extension). Ill post up photos when they come in.

So far im still with the Mountune knob on a 2" extension.

I ordered a few more from ebay and amazon to test out. Going to try out some delrin versions that dont have the reverse lockout cut into it(i have an extension). Ill post up photos when they come in.

So far im still with the Mountune knob on a 2" extension.
I've been experimenting with some different knobs & extensions. I started with a 3" extension with a 30 degree bend, now I'm trying out a 2" extension with no bend. I have a Whoosh short shift block under the hood & a stock shifter assembly. I found even with the 2" extension that the throw becomes very long, making shifting quite a bit slower. It's too bad Boomba doesn't make a taller version of their short shifter. I still can't justify spending $800+ on the Coolerworx. Maybe if I win the lottery some day...

OP
kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Thread Starter #17
I've been experimenting with some different knobs & extensions. I started with a 3" extension with a 30 degree bend, now I'm trying out a 2" extension with no bend. I have a Whoosh short shift block under the hood & a stock shifter assembly. I found even with the 2" extension that the throw becomes very long, making shifting quite a bit slower. It's too bad Boomba doesn't make a taller version of their short shifter. I still can't justify spending $800+ on the Coolerworx. Maybe if I win the lottery some day...
I noticed the same this past weekend at an event. I cant decide which is better:

1. A 2" extension so that i have better arm placement and peripheral vision of shifter location...
OR
2. A shorter/more direct shifter that has odd arm placement angle and is out of pheripheral vision making placement a bit of an issue at times...

Im conflicted since my times did not differentiate between the two setups and neither felt 100% in hand in terms of confidence of hitting that gear.

I'm in exactly the same boat although I don't have any lap times to make a close comparison. I like the placement of the taller shifter much better but damn it's a long row to shift! I hate that every day I get a little closer to buying a Coolerworx...