Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Shorter guys with recaros

How do you live with it.

Maybe it's me but I can't turn to get out without bumping the steering wheel.

Seating position is so awkward.

Maybe it's the fact that I was wearing my work shoes and had to be a little closer, but that is inevitable 5 days a week.

Haven't signed papers but I was able to bring it home and I've got to say that initially the recaros aren't as big a positive as I was expecting.

KKaWing

I have the wheel a bit higher than usual, and I don't turn to get out. I grab the roof with my left arm and lift myself out :p

Its not the best, but I move my seat back every time I get out to make getting out destroying the bolster. I've gotten into the habit so its not a big deal anymore and can pull it back up to driving position on the first try.

MPA

5'6" here, 29" inseam - I played with the seat height and wheel position until I found a good combo - my steering wheel is pushed all the way forward..Hopefully they showed you that the steering wheel also telescopes, and that the seat height is adjustable.

I love the Recaros. I fit nicely between the bolsters, and when you're going around curves, it's nice not having to brace myself with my leg

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
5'8" with fairly short legs and I prefer to sit close for more control and used to slide the seat back when my old knee injury was acting up but doing better now so just pull myself out and put the least pressure on the seat bolster as I can, as mentioned, keeps from wearing them down.

I have had cars far harder to get out of that this one.

5' 9 here, having test drove both with and without Recaros before I ordered mine (with Recaros), I was willing to give up some comfort-ability for not flopping around like a fish in the normal seats during autocross or spirited driving. However like stated above, I was able to find a sweet spot where I am comfortable. Even for long distance trips cross country. Chicago to NY, Chicago to SoCal.

OP
Vanilla2
Thread Starter #7
I guess I was thinking these seats would be akin to what my Evos had.

I've got the day off for my little girls birthday and I am gonna make a few stops play with the settings and see if I can get this fingered out.

Wish me luck because as it sits I will not be buying this car.

You could always opt to get the non-Recaro package if you like the car with the exception of the seats. I'm not short, but I'm not tall either, at a bit over 5'10" and I don't really have an issue. Have you tried lifting the steering wheel when you get out? It is telescoping and height adjustable.

OP
Vanilla2
Thread Starter #9
I could opt for a non recaro ST, but then what kind of American would I be?

Look for a video on how people get in and out of a lotus Elise. Use your left hand on the door sill and it will help you. I use the steering wheel To hold myself also to stay off the bolster.

OP
Vanilla2
Thread Starter #12
Look for a video on how people get in and out of a lotus Elise. Use your left hand on the door sill and it will help you. I use the steering wheel To hold myself also to stay off the bolster.
I played with it yesterday while I had it.

Raised the wheel and moved the seat back a click.

Worked well with the Nikes I was wearing, will probably have to move forward when wearing my work shoes.

Have just been spoiled the last decade or so with the evos where everything seemed to be in the exact right spot for me.

Zormecteon

I'm 5'6'' and it sets up well for me. The wheel is pulled out just a touch. The bottom of the wheel is set-height wise- so that I make a sight line to the curve of the binnacle. I'm a few pumps up with the seat, about even maybe a little taller than the passenger seat but not much. length wise I set it so that my foot just sits flat on the dead peddle, and my arms, when I've got the seat upright (not leaned back) are straight from my shoulders to the top of the wheel, but grip the wheel and 10 and 2. I can and have driven all day with this set up (10+hrs) with no problems or fatigue. Getting in and out was a retraining of muscle memory, but now it's as natural as can be.

5'6" here.
Slide seat back. I place left leg in-between leg bolster and back bolster, step down on my left foot while pulling up on the steering wheel. Swivel out while pulling up on the wheel to avoid excess wear on the seat fabric.
Love my Recaros.

OP
Vanilla2
Thread Starter #15
I bought it

My girl says she hasn't seen me this excited since I bought my Evo 8.

I've been fiddling with the seats all day driving around.

The most comfortable position wise is a touch further than I like to be from the clutch pedal.

Pedal spacer Maybe?

Am deciding if I should buy that MP-11 thundercracker I've been patiently waiting on or some quick mods.

I bought it ..........
The most comfortable position wise is a touch further than I like to be from the clutch pedal.
Pedal spacer Maybe?.......
My thoughts exactly. I started a thread about short folks and the clutch pedal. I did ask the fellows at Boomba whether they would consider making a pedal spacer/extender but I suppose there isn't enough interest.

There are clutch pedal extenders for Mustangs and Corvettes, but alas, not for the Fiesta.

I'm 5'8" with a 29" in-seam. Just be patient and play around with some settings. I really think you will regret it if you don't have the Recaros. They help make this car what it is!!!

OP
Vanilla2
Thread Starter #18
I think I'm good with where I have it set up.

These seats have to have a bit of recline to fit me well as opposed to my Evo seats where they always worked best in an almost upright position.

And that's where i was going wrong treating them like Evo recaros.

I just wish I had half a click closer to da clutch but other than that we gon be alright

OP
Vanilla2
Thread Starter #19
These seats are breaking in pretty nice. Finally got the dealer filled 87 octane out of her and the brake dust is no joke. The pearl white sure is pretty and gets way more looks from the fairer sex than any of my Evos. Those things were dude magnets. Window tint happening tomorrow and trying to figure out to how work a Cobb stage 1 into the budget.

I was able to find an almost comfortable seating position but the headrest was pushing my head forward. Do these have adjustable lumbar? I didnt find any during my test drive..