Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sidewall stiffness benefits on slight stretch

Hey guys
Does anyone have any experience with this

Been reading and apparently a slight stretch means better turn in due to less sidewall flexibility
Is this true?
Any downsides?
Only mean a bit of stretch say 17x7.5 on 205 40

Thankyou

Once you experience the turn in response I doubt you will want to go back. Ideally a 205 wide on an 8" wide wheel would be perfect for time attack/grip driving.
Think of how drag racers get oversize tires to get sidewall flex. They do that for straight line traction but oversized tires for cornering is horrible.
I've never had any friends go to slight stretch and regret it. Tire rack has also done multiple tests to show a smaller slight stretch tire is faster than most flat or oversized combinations. The only downside I can see if potentially scratching your wheel since there is no tire to protect it, other than that I can't see any downside. We are not stretching the tire enough to risk a tire de-bead in any way if that's what you might be thinking of.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
For exclusively street driving, there is the trade off/'downside' of a slightly rougher ride on broken pavement.