Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Silent drag races now a possibility....

HBEcoBeaST

Can you imagine seeing one of these demons and not hearing anything but tires as it flies by?

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/electric-mustang-cobra-jet-1400-fords

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Have you heard one of these in person? EVs especially high powered ones do make a noise. Like a loud refrigerator/turbine engine. The EV Camaro was a lot louder in person than I'd have thought.

Definitely amazing technology in a straight line from a standing start. For other things and practicality EVs have a ways to go

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
No I have never heard one. Do you have a YouTube video I could watch?

HBEcoBeaST

No I have never heard one. Do you have a YouTube video I could watch?

No sorry. The sound doesn't come through video well. But listen to formula E or a rimac. More quiet than an equivalent ICE but not quiet overall lol

the duke

Have you heard one of these in person? EVs especially high powered ones do make a noise. Like a loud refrigerator/turbine engine. The EV Camaro was a lot louder in person than I'd have thought.

Definitely amazing technology in a straight line from a standing start. For other things and practicality EVs have a ways to go

I've been in electric vehivles and ridden electric motorcycles. EV motors have zero interest for me outside of pedestrian usage.

I owned a Chevy Volt and it was completely stock every way. When i did put the peddle to the floor i would first hear a Click sound like a breaker on an A/C unit engage then a soft electric pulse the whole time id have the peddle down kinda like when your near a large electric pole you know that humming sound, well multiply that by 5x thats the sound inside the cabin of the volt. Electric vehicles are the right direction to go imo

I'll race that Cobrajet but I get to call the race course. BTW that course is a drive from Warren, MI to Lake George, NY. That's about a 690 mile drive.

As for Electric Vehicles being the right direction to go, do some searching on the Net. The electric grid in the US and Canada barely has enough capacity to support Air Conditioning in a hot week in August. This means that there currently is barely enough capacity to support the current electric fleet and I expect if 5 years or so that we will start to see limitations on the Time of Day when a vehicle can be charged. We will also see the electric companies insisting on having the ability to shut down charging stations when the grid is approaching overload.

The obvious solution is to expand the capacity of our electric grid. The Problem is that the cost estimates I found for doing this range between 200 to 300 TRILLION. Folks that is 200,000 to 300,000 Billion dollars. The Total World Domestic Product for 2018 was estimated at 180 Trillion dollars. That grid expansion, it aint gonna happen.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I'll race that Cobrajet but I get to call the race course. BTW that course is a drive from Warren, MI to Lake George, NY. That's about a 690 mile drive.

As for Electric Vehicles being the right direction to go, do some searching on the Net. The electric grid in the US and Canada barely has enough capacity to support Air Conditioning in a hot week in August. This means that there currently is barely enough capacity to support the current electric fleet and I expect if 5 years or so that we will start to see limitations on the Time of Day when a vehicle can be charged. We will also see the electric companies insisting on having the ability to shut down charging stations when the grid is approaching overload.

The obvious solution is to expand the capacity of our electric grid. The Problem is that the cost estimates I found for doing this range between 200 to 300 TRILLION. Folks that is 200,000 to 300,000 Billion dollars. The Total World Domestic Product for 2018 was estimated at 180 Trillion dollars. That grid expansion, it aint gonna happen.
This is the 900 pound Gorilla in the room. Everyone one is jumping on EV like its some kind of saving grace before we even have the electrical infrastructure to support. Its comical and saddening all at once.
It kinda reminds me of how LA became so car dependent. There was a fantastic train system here before the freeways that went everywhere. After WWII at the behest of GM and Firestone , GM wanting to sell Cars and Buses and Firestone wanting to sell tires for those lobbied the LA county board of supervisors to build the freeway system after the Arroyo Seco aka 110 Freeway was built going to Pasadena. They convinced them the rail system was old and antiquated and it needed to be replaced by freeways. The board of supervisors bought it hook line and sinker. Its why LA is so large , its why the phrase no one walks in LA got coined ( we actually do it just depends on the neighborhood lol)
Its why a lot of things car culture happened. Its also why pollution got so out of control here for awhile. No one planned for the increase infrastructure wise beyond the initial freeway builds.
Much like our electric grid now. No one has built for the infrastructure needed to support a country of electric vehicles lol like cited above. Not only that is practically financially impossible. lol
Of course Elon has his own ideas to get around it but of course he is a Genius/madman dreamer inventor type. What does he really know? lol

gtx3076

1000 Post Club

Lets get started.

All the Fed has to do is type in some zeroes and we're off to the races.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account

Which is where home solar comes into play. I just installed a Sense in my load box and it's telling me that a small-ish 6-8KW grid-tied system will get me close to net-0 in August with a pool pump running and my thermostat set to 72Āŗ. That means that 12KW will get me there once I get back to driving my EV 70 miles a day during my commute. Now it's true that I charge at night and a home solar system won't generate then, but my pool pump and A/C aren't running then, either. Moreover, during the day when a home solar system is over generating and pumping energy onto my local grid, my neighbor can burn it off, reducing the net load on the grid.

Decentralization of production, i.e. getting production closer to consumption, will have a massive positive effect on grid-load. There are ~95M single family homes in the US. If you allocate $25K to each for a 10KW solar system you've spent $2.4T and have added almost 1 terawatt of capacity that's available during peak-usage right next to consumption.

To put that in perspective, a 10KW solar system will produce something on the order of 800KWh per month, averaged over the year and locations in the US. 800KWh/month * 12 month/year * 95M homes = ~ 912 terawatt/hours per year. But only 10% of the single family homes are suitable and we end up with 91 terawatt/hours. And the systems are shaded and otherwise compromised so that they only work at 10% of advertised efficiency and we end up with 9 terawatt/hours. The US burned 4.1 terawatt/hours last year. Home solar, at 1% of a (my) theoretical ideal, will produce over twice that, closer to consumption, during peak usage, with minimal additional load to the grid.

It's certainly not *the* solution as we'd still need to produce power when the sun isn't shining so wind (300 gigawatt*hr in 2019), hydroelectric (274 gigawatt*hr), nuclear (809 gigawatt*hr), micro and macro storage, and natural gas (1.6 terawatt*hr) will all have to play a part, but it's something, and it creates a ton of jobs and shutters the horrible coal-power industry for good.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Id love for solar at my house. It already doesnt use much energy being small and not having AC.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
No air conditioning. I would rather starve and go hungry than go without air conditioning and I work out side in the heat.
I would sell years off of my life for air conditioning.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

PunkST

2000 Post Club
No air conditioning. I would rather starve and go hungry than go without air conditioning and I work out side in the heat.
I would sell years off of my life for air conditioning.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
I work in a weld shop. And dont do well with cold. I hardly use the AC in the car unless its after work or oppressive heat.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I work in a weld shop. And dont do well with cold. I hardly use the AC in the car unless its after work or oppressive heat.
Same here, because even if I did like it, and want to use it, by the time it cools down the interior (even with it on with the windows down initially to evacuate the 140*F+ built up heat), I might as well just leave the windows down, and the AC off. [wink]