Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Similar Numbers? :(

So it appears there is something wrong with my car. I feel like i should be making WAY more horse power or maybe im wrong.
MODS list:
Catless DP
3inch exhaust
turbosmart symposer deleted BOV
Turbo Smart wastegate actuator (14psi I believe)
S280 Turbo
3inch cobb Cold air intake
Whoosh Single Port injection kit
Pump 91
Dizzy Custom tune
Whoosh V3 intercooler
65 degrees outside
My cousin has the exact same ST with identical mods BESIDES the Waste gate actuator his is stock. and his DP is catted also his exhaust is a 2.5ich
my car feels so laggy compared to his. His just feels stronger, hes tuned by stratified. I don't think its the tuner personal i think is something with my car.
Maybe the wastegate actuators spring is not tight enough causing lag? but i feel like my tuner would have told me something if he noticed it. He recommended that actuator.
i told my tuner "damn my car seems kind of weak but he did not seem to think it was a problem.
IDK 215whp
238:cautious: like wtf i see everyone else making around 290-300 on 91 (V-dyno) with the same mods

Here are 3rd gear pulls

Attachments

Dpro

6000 Post Club
did you set your wastegate preload? it should be 14lbs or more at base tune. I get 284whp on 91 octane with stock fuel and 290-300 on E30 with my s280 mods very similar to yours except I am running a Mountune Sportcat catted dp and no extra fueling .Honestly you could run a stock downpipe with these numbers it would not change it. Also how much boost are you pulling. I pull close to 27lbs I pulled 29 during initial tuning but Adam@Tuneplus dialed it back a bit for safety on the top end.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Does vdyno read desired or actual psi? I'd load up some parameters and data log, put it into datazap.me and see if you can sort it out.

haste

1000 Post Club
Also vdyno is usually 4th since that's closest to 1:1 right?
Yes, 4th gear is recommended for dyno pulls for the exact reason you stated. If anything, a 3rd gear pull would show higher numbers due to the gear ratio.

OP, you are losing boost towards the top end for some reason. The S280 should be holding boost all the way to redline. Something is definitely off with your car or tune.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Yes, 4th gear is recommended for dyno pulls for the exact reason you stated. If anything, a 3rd gear pull would show higher numbers due to the gear ratio.

OP, you are losing boost towards the top end for some reason. The S280 should be holding boost all the way to redline. Something is definitely off with your car or tune.
Sounds like possible preload setting. Man I hope I got mine right and don't have to deal with it again after turbo goes in

OP
Blanco_ST
Thread Starter #10
Does vdyno read desired or actual psi? I'd load up some parameters and data log, put it into datazap.me and see if you can sort it out.
Im new to all this and have no idea what to look for, it does have all the parameters logged, or at least the ones dizzy looks at. I wonder why he didn't say anything

I went 4 turns, 4mm and verified using air compressor. Its hard to to know what's going on the car without logs. The boost curve looks to be comparable to most cars. The boost tapers more than I would prefer, but it might be tapered on purpose because knock is killing your timing/boost. It looks like you might not have much timing in the tune. I noticed you don't have colder plugs listed in your modlist. How many miles are on the car? You might have too much carbon in you combustion chamber causing hot spots/knock. Also check you your intercooler pipes for oil. If you are blowing some oil into the pipes it will lower your octane. I haven't seen too many peeps getting 290-300whp with 91 octane. Some people were getting around that with 93. I was only getting about 250 with 93 and figured out I was having oil issues, so I got a Damond Catchcan to stop that and started pulling cleaner(less timing reduction/knock). It shot up to 270-280.

I would send dizzy another email asking him why the numbers look so bad. If that doesn't work send your logs to another tuner and see what they say. You could go back through and check all your work and make sure there no leaks anywhere.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Whats your preload at? How many turns?
mine was around 4. The trick is to mark it with a magic marker so you can count the turns accurately . Put a rubber band around the wastegate door arm to make sure it does not fall down when your making the adjustment as you have to shift your rod off it. I also used a compressor on the valve to push the rod after it was adjusted so it could pop back on the wastegate door arm.
I made a post about it in my build thread. I am not even sure if my first tuner even adjusted my wastegate as they did it on their dyno. When I went to Adam@Tuneplus he wanted 14lbs minimum on the base tune to get proper boost levels . Pretty much anything 14lbs and above is fine. You can’t really go much above 29lbs on pump gas and stock fuel as the Turbo pushes more air than the fuel system stock can handle up their.
Hence why if you do E30 you can only do a E30 tune base . Though the E30 bass tune puts out 290-300 whp and 340 ft lbs TQ. It’s pretty nuts for our cars. I know guys go farther but I have come to the conclusion that 284whp on our cars is rather the driveable sweet spot.
Oh and this is all on 91.

OP
Blanco_ST
Thread Starter #16
Oh wow i believe i have 2 less turns then you. My tunner claimed on my last logs where we left off that i was making 290-280 but we left off on E40 lol not 91. shouldn't i be making like 320 340 on e40 with my mods? Anyway im going to send him a log today or soon and hes gonna get back to me. I had hot spots on my spark plugs. Through the entire tune (e40 & 91) i was running a .026 gap just barely gapped them to .024 which is what he suggested to me. After i asked him.

OP
Blanco_ST
Thread Starter #17
I went 4 turns, 4mm and verified using air compressor. Its hard to to know what's going on the car without logs. The boost curve looks to be comparable to most cars. The boost tapers more than I would prefer, but it might be tapered on purpose because knock is killing your timing/boost. It looks like you might not have much timing in the tune. I noticed you don't have colder plugs listed in your modlist. How many miles are on the car? You might have too much carbon in you combustion chamber causing hot spots/knock. Also check you your intercooler pipes for oil. If you are blowing some oil into the pipes it will lower your octane. I haven't seen too many peeps getting 290-300whp with 91 octane. Some people were getting around that with 93. I was only getting about 250 with 93 and figured out I was having oil issues, so I got a Damond Catchcan to stop that and started pulling cleaner(less timing reduction/knock). It shot up to 270-280.
My car has 77,000 miles and i do have 1 step colders. There is actually a little oil in the piping.
My spark plugs were gapped to .026 and not at .024 like dizzy suggested. But he suggested that to me only when i asked him after the tuning process on a different occasion. I had no idea i had to re gap. Must not be that urgent because he didn't ever check with during the process.