Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Socal Garage Works Steering Wheel Quality

So just got this in the mail. Took eight weeks. Quality looks pretty good, but not great. A few bubbles, some rough edges, they didn't fill in the notch cutout on the bottom of the wheel (with carbon fiber), and they tried to add like grip groves at the top of the wheel and didn't space them symmetrically (there are two bumps on the right and one on the left and one in the center), also the trim piece looks like one of the tabs is broken (won't know until I pull the wheel off). Also pretty sure I have to sand down one side of the trim to get the Bluetooth controls to fit. Other than that. It's great? Not sure what others have received. I'm planning to keep it regardless.

Attachments

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So just got this in the mail. Took eight weeks. Quality looks pretty good, but not great. A few bubbles, some rough edges, they didn't fill in the notch cutout on the bottom of the wheel (with carbon fiber), and they tried to add like grip groves at the top of the wheel and didn't space them symmetrically (there are two bumps on the right and one on the left and one in the center), also the trim piece looks like one of the tabs is broken (won't know until I pull the wheel off). Also pretty sure I have to sand down one side of the trim to get the Bluetooth controls to fit. Other than that. It's great? Not sure what others have received. I'm planning to keep it regardless.
How much? Did you supply a wheel or do the send back your Core?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I wish they had a create a gallery where you could create your own Wheel visually to see what the finished product would look like. That I think would sell more steering wheels! id maybe get one*

OP
I
Thread Starter #5
I wish they had a create a gallery where you could create your own Wheel visually to see what the finished product would look like. That I think would sell more steering wheels! id maybe get one*
I agree. They have a lot of options but it is hard to imagine. I played it safe for me and knew if I did carbon fiber, I would want forged carbon. I had an alcantara wheel in my last Subaru and really liked it. Decided to mix it up this time.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
With socal the best time to buy is a major holiday. They bring these things down to low 7's, although I am sure inflation has effected price in the year or so it's been since getting mine.

OP
I
Thread Starter #10
I tried to use it to add back some of that red ST color.
How did yours look at the base of the steering wheel where it meets the bottom of the trim insert? It's hard to see on my photos, but they did a poop job at overlapping the carbon. You can see an unfinished edge there. The trim piece doesn't even fit right. I was expecting a bit more of an OEM fitment.

OP
I
Thread Starter #11
That bottom piece is garbage for spending $1,000. I'd be complaining.
You are not wrong. I shouldn't have ordered trim insert. I am working on a list of complaints for socal. Ive spent about $500 for a better finished steering wheel in the past. I really do like the shape and will likely just keep it the way it is. Might ask them to try again on the trim piece tho. It is definitely the fuqd up thing here.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
How did yours look at the base of the steering wheel where it meets the bottom of the trim insert? It's hard to see on my photos, but they did a poop job at overlapping the carbon. You can see an unfinished edge there. The trim piece doesn't even fit right. I was expecting a bit more of an OEM fitment.
I'll get a closer up pic of it this weekend. Overall I was happy with it. The trim was def very tight when installing it. Had to apply a lot of pressure before tightening everything up.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Everyone with these Steering wheels should compile pictures on this thread....just a Rando thought.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
I
Thread Starter #14
I'll get a closer up pic of it this weekend. Overall I was happy with it. The trim was def very tight when installing it. Had to apply a lot of pressure before tightening everything up.
Socal garageworks just emailed me back and told me they leave a gap in the carbon at the bottom of the steering wheel (unfinished edge) where it meets the trim piece so everything will fit together. (Attaching photos because this is hard to explain). Their answer makes no sense tho because they can test fit it on the wheel before they send. They offered to redo it tho. He said nothing about the huge notch being unfinished (where you added the ST)

Attachments

OP
I
Thread Starter #16
Couple close ups. Managed to get it out and put a few miles on it yesterday.
Thanks. Looks good with the ST badge there. I might sand mine down with a fine grit paper. My wheel is off and I'm sending back to socal Garage to redo the bottom piece of carbon. That's the worst issue. Hopefully I don't have to wait another 8 weeks. The wheel feels great otherwise. Little heavy, but I kinda like it after a few days of driving.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Thanks. Looks good with the ST badge there. I might sand mine down with a fine grit paper. My wheel is off and I'm sending back to socal Garage to redo the bottom piece of carbon. That's the worst issue. Hopefully I don't have to wait another 8 weeks. The wheel feels great otherwise. Little heavy, but I kinda like it after a few days of driving.
Yeah I like the "heavy" substantial feel to it. I keep a microfiber in the center console to wipe the carbon though. The hand oils and sweat inevitably dry on there and feels cruddy. Wipes right off though.

OP
I
Thread Starter #19