Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

**SOLVED** Hesitation under load?

I recently tuned on Dizzytunings dizzypop stage 1 and have been loving it! About a month or two after tuning to it I let my tank get a little low and felt my car hesitating under heavy throttle and just babied it to make it to a gas station. After filling with 92 and adding some octane booster she was still giving me that problem. It’s been happening for about two weeks now. I just did a catless Downpipe and expected it was an O2 sensor issue and replaced both sensors and defouled the upstream sensor. After switching the downstream sensor out I moved the defouler downstream because I still had my issue and it got worse. It seems to backfire as I accelerate if that makes sense? I tried retuning and I know it has nothing to do with the tune because it happens regardless. I understand I should have done a little more research but I’m just trying to enjoy my car. If anyone had any recommendations that would be awesome. If I need another defouler, if I need to move the one I have back, if I need to take it to a shop(although I just got terminated and that’s not exactly a great way to get this done) if I need to retune. Anything helps.

Edit: spark plugs caused the issue. I used step colder and had heavy misfiring. I was at 93 misfires by the time I stopped my car on a SINGLE MINUTE DRIVE. I’m no mechanic, but I will no longer use colder plugs, I will simply upgrade my cooling system(says the idiot with no money)

Last edited:
OP
FiSTMorg
Thread Starter #3
Did you gap the spark plugs to the recommended gap? Also never put a defouler in for the upstream o2 sensor.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
I gapped at .026 just to be safe. I have it on the downstream O2 sensor now after racking my head around and realizing how stupid that was I put it in the right spot. It’s driving healthy now and drives VERY well (props to Jason at dizzytuning for making such a bang on flash tune!)

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I wonder if one of the spark plugs was damaged. Normally the only thing a colder spark plug will do is just make it more difficult to start. They can get build up on them easier, but the purpose of them is to lower the chances of pregnition/detonation.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I wonder if one of the spark plugs was damaged. Normally the only thing a colder spark plug will do is just make it more difficult to start. They can get build up on them easier, but the purpose of them is to lower the chances of pregnition/detonation.

I’d suspect damaged, not gapped correctly, or an ignition coil wasn’t fully seated

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I recently tuned on Dizzytunings dizzypop stage 1 and have been loving it! About a month or two after tuning to it I let my tank get a little low and felt my car hesitating under heavy throttle and just babied it to make it to a gas station. After filling with 92 and adding some octane booster she was still giving me that problem. It’s been happening for about two weeks now. I just did a catless Downpipe and expected it was an O2 sensor issue and replaced both sensors and defouled the upstream sensor. After switching the downstream sensor out I moved the defouler downstream because I still had my issue and it got worse. It seems to backfire as I accelerate if that makes sense? I tried retuning and I know it has nothing to do with the tune because it happens regardless. I understand I should have done a little more research but I’m just trying to enjoy my car. If anyone had any recommendations that would be awesome. If I need another defouler, if I need to move the one I have back, if I need to take it to a shop(although I just got terminated and that’s not exactly a great way to get this done) if I need to retune. Anything helps.

Edit: spark plugs caused the issue. I used step colder and had heavy misfiring. I was at 93 misfires by the time I stopped my car on a SINGLE MINUTE DRIVE. I’m no mechanic, but I will no longer use colder plugs, I will simply upgrade my cooling system(says the idiot with no money)
Glad you got it sorted and thank you for updating the post!

SteveS

1000 Post Club
The heat you're dealing with in spark plug ranges has to do with the heat of ignition and how it is dissipated from the electrode of the spark plug, not the temperature of the water in the radiator. You don't need to do anything with the radiator vis-a-vis the heat range of the plugs. If you have engine overheating (measured by water temp) then you need better radiator, etc. If you are melting plug electrodes you need colder range plugs. If you get misfires you need hotter range plugs.

Sam4

I’d suspect damaged, not gapped correctly, or an ignition coil wasn’t fully seated
I tend to respond here to a lot of 'defective parts' diagnostics. We're usually in the middle of changing the oem/oem-compatible part, with a modified replacement, which probably has a disclaimer, on our back on the garage floor, with a tune, and not liking the results. Is that the opposite of doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result? or the same? I love f^cking things up, and pissing off the wife for a few days while I figure it out...but its not the part's fault!!

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I tend to respond here to a lot of 'defective parts' diagnostics. We're usually in the middle of changing the oem/oem-compatible part, with a modified replacement, which probably has a disclaimer, on our back on the garage floor, with a tune, and not liking the results. Is that the opposite of doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result? or the same? I love f^cking things up, and pissing off the wife for a few days while I figure it out...but its not the part's fault!!
Hahah. I know that feeling well. Fucking things up is the best way to learn