Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Spark Plug Change Socket?

Hey guys I'm new to this forum. I've had my 2015Ford Fist for a while now. 160 000kms on it.

Just wondering. I've been reading up on changing the spark plugs and seems pretty straight forward. That's not the issue

The Issue is that I've read you need a 5/8 spark plug socket which is fine but some say use just a regular 5/8 spark plug socket then others say you must use a thinner wall 5/8 spark plug socket due to it being tight in there and the regular gets stuck or something along those lines

Can someone clarify which it is as I dont want to have to buy a socket if not needed but the other side dont wanna start and realize I need it and it's my only car to go places lol

Thanks in advance and look forward to chatting with you guys

xxiaze

I got a standard socket stuck in my head and had to remove it with a locking extension and a lot of scared frustration.

do yourself a favor and just spend the 20-25$ it isn’t worth the risk IMO

It's worth adding a spark plug socket to your tool collection.

I used both spark plug and standard 5/8 deep sockets to do my plugs the night before last. My issue also was once I had the new plugs torqued, them getting stuck in place on the plug. I didn't think to get nice locking extensions. That would have been ideal. I just had to wiggle and twist at the same time to eventually get them off

It's worth adding a spark plug socket to your tool collection.

I used both spark plug and standard 5/8 deep sockets to do my plugs the night before last. My issue also was once I had the new plugs torqued, them getting stuck in place on the plug. I didn't think to get nice locking extensions. That would have been ideal. I just had to wiggle and twist at the same time to eventually get them off
I got a cheap $20 three piece locking extension set which i use for everything. Been saving money in 10MM sockets ever since

OP
Little Blue Egg
Thread Starter #7
I have the standard spark plug socket in my tool box. just didnt know if I needed the thin wall. But locking extensions seem to be the favourite with a standard 5/8 spark plug socket?

xxiaze

My standard 5/8 spark plug socket doesn’t fit... had to pick through my 5/8” so let’s to find the thinnest walled one to even get it in. Then it still binds, you’ll fight even with a locking extension. If not more power to you, just in my personal experience anyways.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I got a standard socket stuck in my head and had to remove it with a locking extension and a lot of scared frustration.

do yourself a favor and just spend the 20-25$ it isn’t worth the risk IMO
Yeah, if you do not want to be bothered with taping a regular, thin walled, socket to the extension (I have to do this even WITH using a locking extension!), that is the only way to go. [wink] [thumb]

So from the sounds of it ford just liked fucking us on doing a normally easy painless spark plug change into a small fight etc?
No, it's very easy. I'm not sure what these other posters are doing, but it took me less than 5 minutes with the proper tools. I always recommend getting the thin-walled anyways.

This is what I use, and I highly recommend it as it makes the job very easy. As a bonus, it's useful for a lot of the other cars as well. However if you're desperate and for some reason cannot get that tool or one like it, I've done it with a regular sparkplug socket and a good pivot extension. I'd suggest getting one with a pivot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075NV13WG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OP
Little Blue Egg
Thread Starter #12
No, it's very easy. I'm not sure what these other posters are doing, but it took me less than 5 minutes with the proper tools. I always recommend getting the thin-walled anyways.

This is what I use, and I highly recommend it as it makes the job very easy. As a bonus, it's useful for a lot of the other cars as well. However if you're desperate and for some reason cannot get that tool or one like it, I've done it with a regular sparkplug socket and a good pivot extension. I'd suggest getting one with a pivot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075NV13WG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks. It's just that the car hit 160 000kms equals to 100 000 miles and they reccomend changing them. But I havent had any starting issues or idling. The car runs fine. So I was just trying to get a good idea when I do tear into it. I'm not stuck as it's my only means of transportation. so just getting all the info/tools so it's as easy as my 90s Honda was to change spark plugs.

Under five minutes is pretty good, unheard of even

I mainly dont wanna end up with something stuck stripped or damaged as I don't have a backup car til it gets fixed lol.
If your in the area lemme know and ill help you out
i didn't it with a standard spark plug socket , with a locking extension and a ratchet. the locking extensions not necessarily needed jus a bitch to get it out of the hole if it falls in. Since the car has high mileage you always take your time taking those plugs out by hand. If they turn a little but very hard shoot a touch of wd in there and work it back and forth. you don't wanna pull any threads out of the head.

OP
Little Blue Egg
Thread Starter #16
If your in the area lemme know and ill help you out
i didn't it with a standard spark plug socket , with a locking extension and a ratchet. the locking extensions not necessarily needed jus a bitch to get it out of the hole if it falls in. Since the car has high mileage you always take your time taking those plugs out by hand. If they turn a little but very hard shoot a touch of wd in there and work it back and forth. you don't wanna pull any threads out of the head.
I live in the barrie area. North of Toronto

Under five minutes is pretty good, unheard of even
It's very doable with the right tools.
Plugs were pre-gapped. Will definitely be longer if plugs are not pre-gapped.

1. automatic ratchet for the 8 ingition coil bolts, generous to say 30 seconds for all 8.
2. break loose and undo each spark plug, a generously say 30 seconds each
3. install new plugs,+torque to spec, 30 seconds each.
4. put back coils and bolts, 30 seconds

with that said, definitely don't rush it.