Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sputtering under load - ignition coils

Hey all, I spent a solid 40 minutes searching around without a ton of luck, on my way home this evening I experienced a sudden sputter under boost the car is spec'd as follows:
58k miles
New step colder NGK plugs
Dizzy stage 2 91 tune
Mishimoto CAI
Cobb cat back

I did a quick 3rd gear pull right before the sputtering happened, the car has had 0 issues outside of the purge valve at full tank. No codes pending or otherwise.
Just filled but but my AOR is still -1 after 20 miles of driving.
First noticed on a 3/4 throttle 5th gear pull but it drives fine if I'm not getting on it. The behavior is consistent with spark in my experience (mechanic for 8 years) so I'm thinking coils. There are a lot of options out there and I'm torn because I know certain cars like certain coils. So I'm looking at the Delphi or NGK OEM spec, or whoosh. Can anyone offer their opinion or experience on the various brands and point me in the right direction? I'm willing to spring for the whoosh but if I don't need to I don't want to.

Thanks in advanced!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hey all, I spent a solid 40 minutes searching around without a ton of luck, on my way home this evening I experienced a sudden sputter under boost the car is spec'd as follows:
58k miles
New step colder NGK plugs
Dizzy stage 2 91 tune
Mishimoto CAI
Cobb cat back

I did a quick 3rd gear pull right before the sputtering happened, the car has had 0 issues outside of the purge valve at full tank. No codes pending or otherwise.
Just filled but but my AOR is still -1 after 20 miles of driving.
First noticed on a 3/4 throttle 5th gear pull but it drives fine if I'm not getting on it. The behavior is consistent with spark in my experience (mechanic for 8 years) so I'm thinking coils. There are a lot of options out there and I'm torn because I know certain cars like certain coils. So I'm looking at the Delphi or NGK OEM spec, or whoosh. Can anyone offer their opinion or experience on the various brands and point me in the right direction? I'm willing to spring for the whoosh but if I don't need to I don't want to.

Thanks in advanced!
I have ran NGK coils no issues and of course OEM. Now I'm on Rs ignition coils with a modified spark plug coil bracket and mounting Plates From Phul performance along with my BT Tune w Aux. Id also be changing the sparklers every 10K with a tune. Coils are a wear Item as far a I'm concerned every 50-75k. Check the gsp on the Old sparklers Also when you take them out.

OP
W
Thread Starter #3
I have ran NGK coils no issues and of course OEM. Now I'm on Rs ignition coils with a modified spark plug coil bracket and mounting Plates From Phul performance along with my BT Tune w Aux. Id also be changing the sparklers every 10K with a tune. Coils are a wear Item as far a I'm concerned every 50-75k. Check the gsp on the Old sparklers Also when you take them out.
Thanks! How do you like the RS coils? Worth the trouble or not very noticeable? As for the plugs I have less than 2k miles on them, gapped myself and confirmed they were in spec when I pulled them last night to swap back to stock as a test. I did find that my cylinder 1 coil did not want to seat correctly which caused a dead hole on 1 when I started it, swapped coil 1 & 2 and it was fine, still missing under load so I ordered the Whoosh performance in black. After the weird fitment I feel pretty confident it's a coil.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks! How do you like the RS coils? Worth the trouble or not very noticeable? As for the plugs I have less than 2k miles on them, gapped myself and confirmed they were in spec when I pulled them last night to swap back to stock as a test. I did find that my cylinder 1 coil did not want to seat correctly which caused a dead hole on 1 when I started it, swapped coil 1 & 2 and it was fine, still missing under load so I ordered the Whoosh performance in black. After the weird fitment I feel pretty confident it's a coil.
The Rs coils must have an Ear removed* The use Phul performance modified Coil bracket with Hold down plates and bolts. The Rs coils are able to ignite E fuel better and the dwell has to be changed to run them by Phul performance. Totally worth it in My opinion being BT with 4 port Aux.