Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Steeda Fiesta Short Throw Shifter

Anyone have the Steeda shifter installed? If so, any feedback? I'm looking around at potential replacement shifters, I like the Mountune, but this one caught my eye as it claims to reduce throw by 30% from OEM. I believe the Mountune shifter claims to reduce throw by 15%. They both have similiar prices, so I'd rather have a 30% reduction assuming this fits and the reduction info is accurate. Thoughts?

Steeda
http://www.steedafiesta.com/ford-fiesta-short-throw-shifter/
http://fordperformanceracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12241

Mountune
http://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-Short-Throw-Shifter-Fiesta-5-Speed-p/2130-sts-aa.htm

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Well the Mountune one is for non-ST version. You need to look at their adapter plate.

Also check out Boomba's transmission adapter plate and FSWerks adapter plates.

I would like to know what you go with too I was thinking about this, although my two cents after looking at the Steeda Shifter I looked at Boomba racing, it might be more expensive but it's adjustable and looks like way better quality, plus if you get the whole ultimate kit you can get up to 40% reduction. So Idk more to think about I guess.

OP
D3 SS 3D
Thread Starter #4
Well the Mountune one is for non-ST version. You need to look at their adapter plate.

Also check out Boomba's transmission adapter plate and FSWerks adapter plates.
Thanks. Yeah, I've seen the adapter plates and shift adjustment items from Boomba and Mountune, but I really just wanted to replace the shifter rather than add a piece here or there to shorten the shifts. However, it may just be easier to go with something like this: http://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-quick-shift-Fiesta-ST-2014-p/2238-bqs-aa.htm

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Personally for me, the adapter plates offered by Mountune (most expensive one), FSWerks, and Boomba are plenty. I didn't want to go ripping out my whole center console for a few more percentages of reduction. I have the Boomba plate and that's 20% and it took all of 15 minutes to install. The FSWerks one is adjustable between 15 and 25. And the Mountune one is 30%. These are all just simple plates you have installed in the transmission part under the hood. Simple easy and simple effective.

That's just my 2 cents.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Thanks. Yeah, I've seen the adapter plates and shift adjustment items from Boomba and Mountune, but I really just wanted to replace the shifter rather than add a piece here or there to shorten the shifts. However, it may just be easier to go with something like this: http://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-quick-shift-Fiesta-ST-2014-p/2238-bqs-aa.htm
That's what I'm talking about; all 3 companies often great, quality shifter plates that are a breeze to install. I personally went that route, because like I said I didn't want to go ripping up the center console.

OP
D3 SS 3D
Thread Starter #7
That's what I'm talking about; all 3 companies often great, quality shifter plates that are a breeze to install. I personally went that route, because like I said I didn't want to go ripping up the center console.
Great, thanks for the feedback, this seems like the simplest and most efficient route. I watched an installation video at boomba, this might be a good time to install a new intake as well since it looks like you have to remove it to install the adapter.

I got the full shift kit from boomba, adapter plate, shift lever, bushings, the works. Absolutely love it. The build quality of that lever really surpassed my expectations. It's a great set up.

OP
D3 SS 3D
Thread Starter #9
I got the full shift kit from boomba, adapter plate, shift lever, bushings, the works. Absolutely love it. The build quality of that lever really surpassed my expectations. It's a great set up.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'll probably start with the adapter, then work my way from there.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
More reduction isn't always better... But if they sell it, you'll buy it.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
More reduction isn't always better... But if they sell it, you'll buy it.
I love my boomba adapter. I would like to buy fswerks and/or mountune just to compare the differences between the both of those and my boomba one. Just don't know if it's worth the money and time for 5% and 10%

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I have the Mountune adapter; not installed yet, though. I think it's all that's needed, along with bushings. My experience has led me to the opinion that there is such a thing as too short... When I can't feel the difference between gears is when it's too short.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I have the Mountune adapter; not installed yet, though. I think it's all that's needed, along with bushings. My experience has led me to the opinion that there is such a thing as too short... When I can't feel the difference between gears is when it's too short.
Agreed. That's why I haven't and wont buy any short shifter kits. All I have are what's in my signature. And love it. It's still notchy a little but the 20% throws and the crispness the transmission bushings added are great.

Have the FS Werks adapter on mine and while I can't compare to the others - constantly gets compliments for me. Think for the money it's fantastic bang for buck

OP
D3 SS 3D
Thread Starter #15
Have the FS Werks adapter on mine and while I can't compare to the others - constantly gets compliments for me. Think for the money it's fantastic bang for buck
Yeah, I ending up going with the FS Werks, it's cheap, easy to install and feels much better.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Post an update when you done the installs. The Mountune and bushings is what i plan on doing. Thanks

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
For those with an interest in DIY you can acheive a great deal for barely any cost at all, I did all this when the only thing available was Mountunes kit.

1) trimmed off then welded in new mount point on transaxle shift arm for the cable connection, it is a bit shorter than Mountunes but I did not want to go to short, done that before.

2) removed rubber mounts from bracket on the transaxle and welded regular steel washers in place.

3) cut and realigned then welded the cable mounts on the bracket so they were properly oriented towards the shift arm on the transaxle

4) split the two pieces of the shifter mount in the console, made parts to raise the top half 1 1/4".

5) found an easier way to raise the shifter, used four 1" long coupling nuts on the studs on the tunnel floor and new bolts, washers, and nylon spacers to raise the shifter another 1 1/4" for a total of 2.5" height gained. This can be done without the spacers but they make the mount more solid.

Total investment to have a taller and very precise short shifter was approx $5.

Note: Skip step 4 and do step 5 but using longer bolts keep the height gain to 2" or so as the shifter was pushing on the boot surround a bit so I had to trim it.

If I had not already done this work I would of likely bought the Boomba shifter, bushings, etc...actually did by the bushings for under the hood but once I took it all apart it was apparent I could just tack weld washers instead so did that and sold the bushings.

Agreed. That's why I haven't and wont buy any short shifter kits. All I have are what's in my signature. And love it. It's still notchy a little but the 20% throws and the crispness the transmission bushings added are great.
Which bushings did you use?

The boomba transmission ones. Not the base ones. Don't feel like taking my whole center console apart.
Ok,that makes sense. I watched the vid on the base ones and figured at that point one may as well do the whole short shift kit.