Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Steering Wheel Telescope Sliding

So basically I sit far back in the car and I have my steering wheel pulled back as far as it will go, however someone cut me off today and I had to break hard, which meant bracing myself on the wheel. When that happened the wheel slid forward about an inch....

I popped the locking tab and moved the steering wheel back to where it was, but when I got to work I tried to recreate it and I found out that I could basically move it forward about an inch and then pull it back (but with a good amount of force). It doesn't do this anywhere else in the adjustment range, just when the wheel is pulled back to it's aftmost position.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that's not normal, has anyone had this problem? Could something be loose in the Telescoping mechanism? Or is this probably something I should take to my dealer?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Have you tried moving it forward half an inch to see if it's the same maybe that is better? And you maybe right it not normal but just a thought

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

note for future, practice panic braking so that you aren't pushing against the steering wheel... you should not add any force to the wheel and be able to steer away from a situation, but if you "brace" against the wheel you will certainly not be able to drive around a crash.

OP
BiigMe
Thread Starter #5
Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm inclined to agree that it's the friction surface that's sliding. And like someone said it's only at the aftmost position so it could just be a lot problem. Whenever I get a chance I'm gonna try and take the cover off and see if I can diagnose it, if I find anything I'll report back here!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
So basically I sit far back in the car and I have my steering wheel pulled back as far as it will go
Not trying to tell you how you should drive, but it is recommended to sit close enough to the wheel so that your wrists can comfortably rest on the 12:00 clock position with your elbows slightly bent. You may be a giant who needs to be all the way back tho. If you are locking your elbows you can't steer around an obstacle/navigate a chicane...

OP
BiigMe
Thread Starter #7
So to reply about my driving position:
I have my seat bottom adjusted so that when I fully depress the clutch pedal my leg isn't fully extended, I set the recline to a comfortable position and my arms only get close to fully extended is when I'm at like 135° of wheel rotation. If I set the seat back to recline less I can easily go the whole distance without fully extending my arms, but my head gets close to the ceiling and Its much less comfortable.

The problem I was describing here is I just had a situation where I was braking hard and put some of my weight on the wheel and it slid forward a little, like the clamping mechanism wasn't holding the wheel without it moving.

In an ideal world, I wan't like another 1-2" to extend the wheel, that would make my driving position way more comfortable, and I'm already at the end of the telescoping adjustment. I'm wondering if I could just put a spacer in between where the wheel attaches and the column. Does anyone know where a guide would be to take the wheel off so I could look at its attachment points and see if I could put a spacer in there? Or has anyone done this?

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Taking the wheel off is simple enough. Remove the airbag and you should expose the locking nut. I don't think that you can install a spacer - the wheels are typically keyed so that they can only go in way. So - you'd need a custom part, at the very least.

You can always go with a bucket seat - they do sit lower... :) You have Recaros?