Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stock Shock & Suspension Questions?

toraider

Has anyone dyno’d the stock shocks/struts?

Would the results provide enough information that could lead to making a decision on the best springs to purchase?

I’d like to decide if springs only are an option for me and I`m less concerned about drop as opposed to the best match for the stock dampers.

One last set of questions:

How should adding braces like the Pierce Motorsports Race Suspension Package affect any decisions on the springs/coilovers I should select?

I’m trying to figure out the order I should be thinking about adding these suspension components. Any help would be appreciated.

Siestarider

A journalist once asked Colin Chapman why his Lotus Elan, with double A arm suspension, light weight and 4 wheel disc brakes, allowed only toe adjustments. The rest of suspension geometry was fixed in place at factory, and was not adjustable. This in a car generally considered the best handling sports car of its day in mid-60's.

He answered the car was set up right for the street, any adjustments would detract from its handling, and he did not trust anyone else to know what they were doing.

Racing is different. But the basic principle remains

There are only a few, nearly all racers, who are qualified to improve the Fist's suspension over OEM. Go to 16" wheels and 45 section tires if ride is too harsh. Otherwise, learn to drive it so well that you can understand the answers to your questions from personal experience. Then you will know what you are asking.

OP
T

toraider

Thread Starter #3
There are only a few, nearly all racers, who are qualified to improve the Fist's suspension over OEM. Go to 16" wheels and 45 section tires if ride is too harsh. Otherwise, learn to drive it so well that you can understand the answers to your questions from personal experience. Then you will know what you are asking.
I don't disagree with this line of thinking, so since you answered my questions this way, I'll ask a follow up question to your suggestion. Since the only way for me to learn this car well is to take it to the track. So my question would be: does the car need upgrades to the cooling systems for 15-20 minute track sessions. I.E. Oil Cooler or Intercooler Upgrades

Siestarider

If you track, you need an upgraded intercooler. This is #1 hard improvement whether you track or not.

Then carefully seal all the cracks that let front grill air get past radiator/condensor and intercooler. There are quite a few cracks to weatherstrip and tape up. Requires taking front bodywork off. No big deal. Probably a good idea to upgrade brake fluid just for safety reasons.

Then A/c off, ESC fully off, and you will see coolant temps up to 230-240 and oil temps up to 250 on Accessport with hard tracking. I have only had temp light come on one time, eased off a lap and it came back off. Never seen limp mode. That was before sealing gaps. And in 90 degree summer heat.

After sealing gaps, highest coolant 230.

Within 5 track days I understood LSD was next hard improvement required, so installed a Quaife. 5 track days later I am still learning how to be quicker. Suspension, brakes and cooling are not holding me back, my skill is near equal to car. I am now lapping my local track faster than my first instructor did (but he was handicapped by having my 190 lbs in car).

So my next mod is better tires, going from BFG Sport C to Rival S. Maybe that will expose one of brakes, suspension or cooling as the next weak point. Should know in a few months.