Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stuck at 280whp?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I am guessing that it could not be tuned to pass a sniffer test with the very high flowing injectors, and/or even if solely an OBD2 plug-in the necessary tune for it to run at all would betray Dpro's S280 to the inspection workers if they somehow missed it in the first place, maybe?? [dunno]
well we do not do sniffers but larger injectors indicates higher flow ( aka running rich because of 30% larger injectors. . They plug the cars OBDII port in and monitor it while running. So first off all your checks need to be ok and second off flow numbers need to be in range. Much like all the info you get off your AP the smog computer gets off the OBDII plug . View it as the state has its own custom AP.

Though ya if I got one of those mobile sniffers it would immediately pick it up . lol

If you are still registered/plated in Joyzee, they should not even be doing a sniffer test, even on ancient cars (let alone your '19!), at all.

Unless this is something that was just implemented at the start of the year?? [dunno]
Do they even do that leak-down check gas cap test on the cap-less systems like ours?
(I go next Tuesday for my first Garden State inspection in 14 years.)
i live and am registered in PA but work in Jersey.

and i was mistaken. tailpipe emissions stopped in 2004 and now it's all OBD based aside from the visual check.

from PA DOT:

"What is On-Board Diagnostics? OBD is a modern vehicle emissions inspection designed to detect problems with the computerized engine components found on most 1996 and newer model-year gasoline-powered vehicles. During an OBD I/M Check, a technician will attach a cable to the vehicle’s onboard computer to see if the vehicles emissions equipment is damaged or otherwise malfunctioning. The check can assist in preventing major engine problems and therefore major expenses caused by failing equipment while subsequently benefiting the environment in reducing the amount of harmful gasses emitted. As in the current program, emissions inspections will be completed at private service stations and dealers who opt to participate in the program. Stations who wish to participate will be required to purchase equipment to perform the OBD I/M Check and Gas Cap Test.

What is the Visual Anti-Tampering Check? The Visual Anti-Tampering Check is an examination of the vehicle to see if the required emissions components have been tampered with or removed. A certified technician will look for the following emission control devices:
Catalytic converter,
Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve,
Positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve,
Fuel inlet restrictor, Air pump, and
Evaporative control system components such as vapor canisters and lines.

The technician will also determine if these devices are properly connected and if they are the correct type for the vehicle being inspected."

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Yes, and Pennsy also makes those privatized inspection shops/service stations pull at least two wheels (diagonally), and measure the rotor and pad thickness, and they WILL fail you if under the state set limits.

Also, PENNDOT mandates a test drive where it is totally up to the shop's discretion as to whether or not YOU can go along on, as a passenger.
You've got to find one you can TRUST on this last item. [wink]

So glad to be back in 'over-regulated' <- [histerical]Joyzee where you only have to pass the OBD2 plug-in, with no one driving your car, sight unseen, for more than a few feet.

Biggest negative as far as I'm concerned is that I must now 3M double-sided tape my front plate on, since I do not want to drill the mounting holes into my front bumper, this car having been sold/bought, and initially registered in Pennsyltucky.

When it comes to 91/93 and you’re not tearing into the yeee old engine, we are stuck at 270-300whp depending on the situation going past this point is going to really require race gas or corn, or messing around with engine and at that point you better be on corn anyways lol

When it comes to 91/93 and you’re not tearing into the yeee old engine, we are stuck at 270-300whp depending on the situation going past this point is going to really require race gas or corn, or messing around with engine and at that point you better be on corn anyways lol
not only that but WHP is just a really mad metric to judge a car's speed by; if i drop a 300WHP engine in an F350 it might get stuck in my driveway. if i drop a 50WHP engine in a go kart i might be able to fly to France.

putting a 280WHP engine in a 2800lb car is a legit fast car. the real limiting factors are the tall center of gravity and the FWD. which an extra 70WHP is never gonna make up for unless you start hacking at the front fenders so you can fit 10in wide tires.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^THIS!

As there are RWD (let alone AWD) rides with less power than the soooo desired 300++ to the wheels, which 0-60 and quarter mile better than our little beans, solely due to all of the weight NOT transferring off of the driven wheels upon acceleration.

Unless one is 140 MPH roll racing in the mythical 'Mexico', that power is rarely used, or even usable on the street in a daily use FWD car, even with the stickiest of tires on the wheels.
(Or open tracking it on a road course with very long straights, and open sweeper turns.)

Look at how difficult it is to get these cars into the 11s, let alone the 10s, even with BIG power, as the proof (given a streetable suspension, and NOT a totally unusable on the streets, 6 second Civic type full drag race suspension/wheelie bar, skinnies on the back, setup). [wink]

^^^THIS!

As there are RWD (let alone AWD) rides with less power than the soooo desired 300++ to the wheels, which 0-60 and quarter mile better than our little beans, solely due to all of the weight NOT transferring off of the driven wheels upon acceleration.

Unless one is 140 MPH roll racing in the mythical 'Mexico', that power is rarely used, or even usable on the street in a daily use FWD car, even with the stickiest of tires on the wheels.
(Or open tracking it on a road course with very long straights, and open sweeper turns.)

Look at how difficult it is to get these cars into the 11s, let alone the 10s, even with BIG power, as the proof (given a streetable suspension, and NOT a totally unusable on the streets, 6 second Civic type full drag race suspension/wheelie bar, skinnies on the back, setup). [wink]
came back here to say i don't want to flame anyone and if 350WHP was just a simple tune away with a big turbo i would 100% *absolutely* get a tune for it and then load it onto the ECU when i wanted to be stupid in an empty Mexico or on quarter mile wide, 10 mile long track. and i would laugh with joy the entire time, lol

it's why i want to get adjustable front strut top hats to go with the rear camber plates with superpro LCAs. and maybe look into fitting 8.5/9in rims if all i need is my fenders rolled. it's why i want to brace the front and rear subframe like it's in a straight jacket. maybe one day rebuild an abandoned getrag transmission with an uprated clutch and LSD. i want to see if big turbo with injectors on an e40 tune can hang with the civic type Rs of the world. maybe the car will go where the tires are pointed with all of that in place. guess we'll see in the next couple years...

Bull Run

U.S. Army Veteran
well we do not do sniffers but larger injectors indicates higher flow ( aka running rich because of 30% larger injectors. . They plug the cars OBDII port in and monitor it while running. So first off all your checks need to be ok and second off flow numbers need to be in range.
Can you get around this by going with AUX and unplugging for the inspection? Otherwise, you might be a good candidate for WMI kit.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Can you get around this by going with AUX and unplugging for the inspection? Otherwise, you might be a good candidate for WMI kit.
Ya no because aux will fail visual big time. WMI will fail visual as well unless you work really hard to hide it but even then the mechanic is going to see a line going in somewhere from what appears to be nowhere and start poking around. It’s really just not worth the trouble and honestly i have decided my car is plenty fast how it is. Another RWD car is looming large in the picture as I crave having a RWD sports car that is not a rarity garage queen( looking at you M3/4/5:ROFLMAO:)

There is one I will add to all this back and forth as I went to an old school combination Zilvia/ Nissan Challenge Meet today.
An old buddy of mine Sam from Jspec who happens to own a 50 state legal R32 GTR. ( old Motorex car grandfathered in) We were talking about power and basically Sam pointed out something very true. While you might have a hard time getting traction the power train loss on a FWD car is less than a RWD car. So we do not have to push our engines as hard as the RWD guys to get fast results. FWIW

Last edited:
About to bite the bullet on a S280 build here over the Christmas holiday. I will be happy with 280 at the wheels big time. The car is a daily that like to go to TOD a lot so I need reliable.