Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Suspension Gurus: Coilovers .VS. Strut/Shock

Is there any suspension gurus that can answer a couple of my questions?

I’m very indecisive on what suspension set up I want to go with my FiST.

———————————————————
Background: I am an independent college student, so I can’t afford to spend $1,700 on some KW V3’s. My FiST is my main commuter for going back home which is a 3 hour drive one way. My car sits for the majority of the week, but it is my “daily driver”. I have no interest in tracking/autoX my FiST. Maybe the just the occasional canyon run.

I’m mainly just looking to lower my FiST for aesthetic purposes. I’m new to the car scene so dampening isn’t too important for me, and I understand I drive a “sports” car so if the ride is a bit harsh so what?
———————————————————
Goal: Lower my FiST while getting the best bang for my buck.
———————————————————
Options:
1.) Bilstein B14 ($799) or Bilstein B14 (PSS) ($920)
*What is the difference between the two?*

Pros:
- Affordable
- Bilstein (Reputable/Quality)
- Height Adjustability

Cons:
- No top hats (?)
- Will need to purchase new OEM components such as bump stops (right?)
——————————————————
2.) Bilstein B8/H&R Sport Springs

Pros:
– Most Affordable Option
– Bilstein/H&R (Reputable/Quality)

Cons:
- Non-Adjustable
- Same Cons as B14’s
——————————————————
3.) Fortune Auto 500’s Coilovers

Pros:
- 5 Year Warranty
- Height/Dampening Adjustability
- Fully Rebuildable/Upgradable
- Replace OEM Components
- Reputable/Quality

Cons:
- Most Expensive Option
- Possible Overkill for what I need?
- Long wait period to be built
- Will most likely not utilize all of the dampening features
———————————————————

Let me know what you think would be best and feel free to chime in your own experiences.

Thank you so much for reading and replying to this thread!

Cheers!
- DJ

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Bang for buck get the b8. H&r combo. You're on a budget. And this will leave you some extra for a proper alignment. And in few years when the struts wear out you can re visit the coilover idea when they may be even more affordable. Id also save your struts and springs just incase something happens and you need spares.

OP
djlawson17
Thread Starter #3
Bang for buck get the b8. H&r combo. You're on a budget. And this will leave you some extra for a proper alignment. And in few years when the struts wear out you can re visit the coilover idea when they may be even more affordable. Id also save your struts and springs just incase something happens and you need spares.
Yeah, I’m going to use some of tax refund to purchase these suspension components. I don’t mind spending a little extra, I don’t wanna cut corners. But I know I’ll have to pay a shop to install them and get an alignment. I’ve heard the B8’s are rebuildable.

As well, the B14’s (Non-PSS) are barely a bit more than the B8/H&R setup, and I would be able to adjust my height if need be?

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Do you live where it get snow and salt? If so having coilovers is gonna be more upkeep to make sure they dont seize

OP
djlawson17
Thread Starter #5
Do you live where it get snow and salt? If so having coilovers is gonna be more upkeep to make sure they dont seize
No, I stay in Los Angeles, so the only thing I deal with is terrible roads and huge pot holes. Other than that, it’s Sunny for most of the year.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
How much are you going to be playing with the height? Are you going to be under it changing stuff a lot, or more a set it and forget it type.

OP
djlawson17
Thread Starter #7
This will be the first lowered car I’ll own, so I’ll probably set it and forget it. I’m just worried of scraping while being on struts/springs, since the roads here are terrible and unpredictable.

I feel like being able to adjust the ride height is a more of a “piece of mind” for me.

As well, the B8/H&R cost: $779 (Shipped). B14 (Non-PSS) $835 (Shipped).

The difference in price is very minimal.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Best security for scraping is to start learning different approach angles. Its real easy to snag the rubber flap under the bumper ( which sounds horrendously bad, lol) have you considered the ST coilovers? They are made by kw and a bit more budget friendly.

OP
djlawson17
Thread Starter #9
Best security for scraping is to start learning different approach angles. Its real easy to snag the rubber flap under the bumper ( which sounds horrendously bad, lol) have you considered the ST coilovers? They are made by kw and a bit more budget friendly.
Yes I have done a little bit of research on them. One of my good friends just recently got them installed. I haven’t had a chance to drive his car yet.

I’ve heard mixed reviews, and I think the “budget” option doesn’t come with top hats?

From the photos it looks just like a strut/shock together.

Warranty is also a thing for me to keep in mind, just to be safe.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I think they have a plate that has you use the factory top hats. Haven't looked much myself. Im on drop springs and stock struts/shocks. Going to b8 dampers this year.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Where are you finding this B14 as opposed to B14(PSS)? All B14 kits are PSS branded (its a marketing thing more than anything, Performance Sports Suspension IIRC). What are the item numbers of each?

Just go with the Bilstein coilovers and be done with it. They are crazy well made, lifetime warranty, and the improvement in handling and the ride quality is worth it IMO.

I'd recommend assembling them off the car with all new strut mounts and rear shock mounts vs. using the old hardware.

OP
djlawson17
Thread Starter #12
Where are you finding this B14 as opposed to B14(PSS)? All B14 kits are PSS branded (its a marketing thing more than anything, Performance Sports Suspension IIRC). What are the item numbers of each?

Just go with the Bilstein coilovers and be done with it. They are crazy well made, lifetime warranty, and the improvement in handling and the ride quality is worth it IMO.

I'd recommend assembling them off the car with all new strut mounts and rear shock mounts vs. using the old hardware.
I was going to get new rear spring pads from powerflex. Can you send a link to the mounts?

Here’s some photos of what I’m talking about.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Even with Swifts (very modest drop), I have snagged the front air dam/flap on several occasions. Angles are key (y)

CSM

1000 Post Club
Those are both Bilstein B14 (PSS) Kits. One on the left is for the Non ST Fiesta, one on the right is for the ST (what I have). I believe the kits are exactly the same spring rates and shocks, the difference is ride height adjust ability with greater range allowed on the ST specific kit.

What spring pads are you referring to?

For the bilsteins you will need
  • front top hats (PN C1BZ3A197D)
  • front strut bearings (PN 8V5Z18198A)
  • front dust boots (PN 8V5Z18A047A)
  • rear upper mounts 8V5Z-18A161-A (many people reuse OEM because they don't have a bearing)

I was going to get new rear spring pads from powerflex. Can you send a link to the mounts?

Here’s some photos of what I’m talking about.

OP
djlawson17
Thread Starter #15
Those are both Bilstein B14 (PSS) Kits. One on the left is for the Non ST Fiesta, one on the right is for the ST (what I have). I believe the kits are exactly the same spring rates and shocks, the difference is ride height adjust ability with greater range allowed on the ST specific kit.

What spring pads are you referring to?

For the bilsteins you will need
  • front top hats (PN C1BZ3A197D)
  • front strut bearings (PN 8V5Z18198A)
  • front dust boots (PN 8V5Z18A047A)
  • rear upper mounts 8V5Z-18A161-A (many people reuse OEM because they don't have a bearing)
Thank you I appreciate it! And I was referring to the pads that go between the springs in the rear.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I vote for stock ford struts and shocks with Swift spec R springs with power flex rear spring pads. You could get the Struts & shocks for 14'-15' that are stiffer or +16' for softer style suspension. That's the best bang for the buck.IMO

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mikey456

I agree with Typhoon on the Swift springs. Your reasoning is the similar to
mine. I choose to skip the power flex spring pads because it might add 1/4 inch to the rear height. But that’s just me.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Yes I have done a little bit of research on them. One of my good friends just recently got them installed. I haven’t had a chance to drive his car yet.

I’ve heard mixed reviews, and I think the “budget” option doesn’t come with top hats?

From the photos it looks just like a strut/shock together.

Warranty is also a thing for me to keep in mind, just to be safe.
You could get aftermarket camber caster plates to put on the ST‘s I have ST XTA’s on my car here in LA. They came with Camber plates.

DoomsdayMelody

Personal opinion, but if you’re using it on the street your suspension should be able to handle pretty much all of the variables you’d encounter on the street. If you’re on track or a similarly controlled environment, go as low as you want, but if you’re using it on public roads, the FiST scrapes enough at stock ride height.