Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Suspension Woes

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Want to see something interesting?

My assumption was based on having to go with a lower sidewall number when increasing section width on a previous vehicle.

Original was P175/65R14 vs the replacement P185/60R14.

Per tire calc...
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wh...65-14X6ET45&fcl=50mm&wcl=30mm&scl=50mm&sr=0mm
...60 sidewall -2.4% ~vs~ 65 sidewall +6%

So even though the sidewall stayed at "65"... it increased height by 6%... per calculator.

I'll avoid further any further assumptions on this subject. ;)
Just have to run the numbers.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I know you've heard a lot already but just to add, after a lot of research into ride quality I just installed some Eibach Pro springs and the ride is awesome... slightly less harsh than stock but still nice and firm... But, '17+ cars like mine have slightly softer struts that go well with the Eibach springs, I've heard of good results with just Swift springs on stock '14-'16 struts is less harsh than with stock springs. Also, just going to a softer 215 wide tire over the rock hard high mileage all seasons, added a little sidewall and comfort right before I also did the springs, which admittedly the springs helped the most.

But, it sounds like you don't want to have to change up everything suspension-wise, so I'd agree on Koni Orange instead of the B8's if you were to change one thing, but also, yeah, even going to 45 series tires will add even more sidewall/cushion and help with harshness too.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Want to see something interesting?

My assumption was based on having to go with a lower sidewall number when increasing section width on a previous vehicle.

Original was P175/65R14 vs the replacement P185/60R14.

Per tire calc...
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wh...65-14X6ET45&fcl=50mm&wcl=30mm&scl=50mm&sr=0mm
...60 sidewall -2.4% ~vs~ 65 sidewall +6%

So even though the sidewall stayed at "65"... it increased height by 6%... per calculator.

I'll avoid further any further assumptions on this subject. ;)
Just have to run the numbers.
Easy way to think of it, the profile #, like 40 or 45, is a *set* percentage of much of the tire around from edge of rim to edge of rim is sidewall. So a 40 series tire will always have 40% sidewall, 60% road contact area. So that's how a 215/40 are taller than a 205/40.. just likea quarter inch, but that much helps a lot it, it feels like, and 215 fill the wheel wells nicely without rubbing at all with stock rims.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The reason the numbers have to be run, is to see which sidewall will be closer to the original. It won't always be one, or the other. In some cases, dropping may get you closer, others, staying the same will get you closer. My error was making the assumption that it will always be necessary to drop a number.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
For a better quality ride, it is generally important to get a balance between the shocks and springs. The biggest factor towards a smoother ride will be the shocks, but if the shocks are on the soft side you will need a stiffer spring to balance it out. Likewise if the shocks are stiff, you will need a softer spring to balance it out. Both the B8 and the whitelines are fairly stiff which is why the ride may be a bit rough for you.

Since you have already purchased the B8, the most cost effective way to fix that may be to switch out the springs and there has been a lot of positive feedback here regarding the Mountune/B8 combination (I believe there may even be a thread somewhere here about it). However, note that the mountune drop (while still quite nice) won't be as low as it is with the whitelines.

Another option, if you want to keep the same exact height, could be replacing the B8 with the Koni yellows set to one of the softer settings. Since they are adjustable, you can use some trial and error to customize it a bit as you like it. Although the Koni orange (Str.T) are definitely on the softer side, they may not be as highly recommended for the whitelines. Str.ts have a history of being less durable than the yellows especially for more aggressive springs, however if cost is a factor from what feedback I've seen so far, they should work and deliver a more compliant ride. Just keep in mind that they might not last as long.

Increasing tire sidewall does help the ride a bit, but it is usually not sufficient alone unless the roads in your area are fairly smooth (which I kind of doubt based on your post). Lastly, adjusting tire pressures can help a bit too, especially with the meatier tires on a 15" or 16" wheel but again it won't usually make the ride decent on it's own in this situation.

So I just recently swapped out my struts and springs for Bilstein B8s and Whitelines all around, thinking that would go a long way to solving my unhappiness with the ride quality in my '16... but it didn't. I've given it a week to settle in, and I still absolutely hate it. This is my daily and fun car (I drive all over the place for work, much less for recreational) and while I don't expect a Caddy ride I don't want to be tossed out of my seat on bad street or highway segment change. This is without a doubt the harshest ride of any vehicle I've ever owned; and it really puts a damper on driving it - which is a shame because there's really a lot to love otherwise. Im willing to try anything else, but would prefer to keep the lowered look if there's a good option out there.

So what have you all had success with on this front? Please, give me your honest comparisons so I can enjoy driving this damn car every day!

OP
FJ16

FJ16

Thread Starter #28
Well I now own a set of Koni Orange struts/shocks, but I am hesitant to put them on after looking at hard the Whiteline springs really are (I wish I would have researched a little more before initially buying them). To anyone that's running Koni Oranges, what springs are you using? Is there anyone with B8's currently that really feel like their spring selection makes the ride comfortable? I'm open to getting the Mountune set and just selling off what I don't use.

I went from stock to Mountune Clubsport with B8’s. The car handles as crisp as stock without the explosions over every little imperfection in the road. The drop is perfect for me with minor rubbing in front with 8 in wheels and 215/40/17 ZIII’s. This setup makes me love driving the car more than ever ✅

Mikey456

Well I now own a set of Koni Orange struts/shocks, but I am hesitant to put them on after looking at hard the Whiteline springs really are (I wish I would have researched a little more before initially buying them). To anyone that's running Koni Oranges, what springs are you using? Is there anyone with B8's currently that really feel like their spring selection makes the ride comfortable? I'm open to getting the Mountune set and just selling off what I don't use.
Ive heard other guys running Swift Springs with the Koni Oranges.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Ive heard other guys running Swift Springs with the Koni Oranges.
i do not see why people go Koni Orange other than trying to save money.
It’s Koni’s version of a pretty much stock shock with the word sporty tossed in. It’s also too soft for our cars and will take away from the handling rather than enhancing.

That is why I always say if your gonna go Koni get Yellows as they are adjustable so you came them soft but they are also a working performance shock.

People just need to quite being cheap in areas that effect real performance in our cars.
Same with tires you get what you pay for el cheapo tire might be great initially but it could get greasy real fast or it could just go to shit after a little bit of wear.
Suspension and tires is one of the big areas of a car that is greatly affected in a non positive way by being too cheap!

All for saving money and getting the most bang for the buck but some people around here cut the wrong corners so to speak.

OP
FJ16

FJ16

Thread Starter #32
People just need to quite being cheap in areas that effect real performance in our cars.
This has nothing to do with "being cheap" - I'm just looking for a solution that others have experience with. If the answer is keeping the B8's and getting Mountune springs, that's no problem. I want a softer ride but really don't want to sacrifice what makes this car fun to drive... and I'm guessing the Whitelines are just too harsh for me (but I love the drop on them).

Dpro

6000 Post Club
This has nothing to do with "being cheap" - I'm just looking for a solution that others have experience with. If the answer is keeping the B8's and getting Mountune springs, that's no problem. I want a softer ride but really don't want to sacrifice what makes this car fun to drive... and I'm guessing the Whitelines are just too harsh for me (but I love the drop on them).
I was not singling you out it was a generalized statement based off observations overall.
It still does not change the fact that IMO Oranges are just a poor selection for our cars in my opinion. The Yellows are much better suited and like I said before you can adjust them to be softer or harder which is a better option.