Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The (idiotic) journey of fitting 225/50/16's

Thought I would post up my ever continuing venture of fitting my 16x8 dekagrams with 225/50/16 re71r's to be used as a daily. I cant speak for other brands of tires in terms of fitment as manufacturer sizes vary and ANY larger than my re71r's will be even harder to fit without some legitimate fabrication.

Important stuff - Godspeed monoss coilovers, Rokblokz mudflaps( I refuse to take these off because im stupid )

Progress: Normal driving is pretty solid, 3/4 wheel lock causes a very small amount of rub on the center inside of front mudflaps. Reversing at 3/4 wheel lock rubs worse. The rears are solid at max height, very minor fender liner scraping on hard freeway bumps (thanks norcal freeways) If I cant get the fitment to a level of safety that makes me comfortable I'll scrap the tires and go 225/45/16 like a sane person

What I've done:
1) I had to ditch all the bolts holding my front mudflaps. The heads would scrape the sidewalls at 3/4 wheel lock. So those are gone and I have 24gauge copper wire with some poorly drilled holes holding them on. (Hooray professionalism).
2) I had to cut away pretty much all of the front mudflaps that are inside the wheel well. It just wasnt going to clear without a major mud flap diet.
3) In the front fender liners towards the cabin of the car is a recess for wheel clearance. Behind the plastic is a large tab of welded body panels (At least it seems like the spot where body panels meet) I had to cut away the liner there and grind away some of the welded tab. I only ground anything that stuck past the welds themselves. This is stupid and I dont recommend this. However I had to, otherwise it barely knicks the sidewall at 3/4 wheel lock and puts shallow cuts in the tire. I was hunting a "tinging" noise and saw the paint on the tab was gone meaning it was catching there. If you do this please make sure to deburr and round any potential sharp edges. if its still rubbing there it could slice your tire at a very bad time.

What I still need to do: Roll the fenders and add camber. The fenders themselves dont rub the sidewalls at the height I'm running. However the fronts are higher than the rears to make that happen. Some camber up front and rolled fenders will allow me to drop the front to match.

I just finished #3 and will find out if the noise dissapears. Otherwise more grinding. It would only catch the tab when I'm turning into driveways due to the load on the suspension.

So all in all they look great and the grip and handling are both superb. I only went with this size because im too competitive at autocross and did not do enough research on tire size fitment for the FiST. But I'm stubborn and like problem solving.

I attached some pictures to make sense of the bad description of my progress.

Attachments

J_JerryP1

U.S. Navy Veteran
question? Now I haven't tracked my car yet and, haven't even had it a full week yet. From what I can tell the car handles very well I'm a racer myself so i understand the competitiveness and wanting as much grip as possible. The question i have is are 225's really that necessary would say a 215 not work for you, there could also be factors in not taking into consideration maybe your rims wont allow for something smaller in diameter. I just think that's a little overkill for daily, and just autocross use now if it was strictly a track/ autox car then go for it.again just asking why 225? the rest is simply my opinion and 2 cents that you did not ask for. regardless you already started modifying so there is not really any turning back from there.

cheers mate

neeqness

1000 Post Club
225 is likely for the 8" wheels. Some might even prefer a wider tire for 8" wheels.

question? Now I haven't tracked my car yet and, haven't even had it a full week yet. From what I can tell the car handles very well I'm a racer myself so i understand the competitiveness and wanting as much grip as possible. The question i have is are 225's really that necessary would say a 215 not work for you, there could also be factors in not taking into consideration maybe your rims wont allow for something smaller in diameter. I just think that's a little overkill for daily, and just autocross use now if it was strictly a track/ autox car then go for it.again just asking why 225? the rest is simply my opinion and 2 cents that you did not ask for. regardless you already started modifying so there is not really any turning back from there.

cheers mate

OP
Maihyo
Thread Starter #4

cheers mate
I dont have a good reason for 225 other than maor grip lol. I sadly have to rethink my setup atm however, I got my fist up on 2 wheels at autocross yesterday. the front is too stiff, the rear isnt stiff enough, and the ride height is too high. I have a fender roller and and a rear sway bar coming tomorrow. Hopefully I can get an 1" or so drop with enough rolling. I would HIGHLY advise anyone not to run 50 sidewall for autocross, the lack of clearance forces you to keep a rather tall ride height. I may have to go to a 225/45/16 if i cant settle out my potential tipping issue.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I think you should consider Hankook R-S4s. The tread width of the 205/45/16s is 7.4 vs 7.6 for the RE-71s in 225/50/16, and they're not nearly as tall (23 vs 24.9). RS-4s like more heat than the RE-71s, so they're probably better suited for the track than autocross, but still they're excellent tires

Last edited:
OP
Maihyo
Thread Starter #6
I think you should consider Hankook R-S4s. The tread width of the 205/45/16s is 7.4 vs 7.6 for the RE-71s in 225/50/16, and they're not nearly as tall (23 vs 24.9). RS-4s like more heat than the RE-17s, so they're probably better suited for the track than autocross, but still they're excellent tires
Good info, Ill look into them. Yea the overall diameter is whats killing me. I almost pulled the trigger on 225/45/16 toyo proxies. They are 24" vs my 24.9. I want to see how low i can get with my current setup before writing off my re71's. The grip is just so good

kevinatfms

@cidsamuth on this forum has 225/50R16 Hoosiers on his Fiesta ST. We just finished a track day at Summit Point and he didnt have any rubbing issues from what i remember. IIRC, his front/rear heights fender to floor are over 25". He can tell the exact measurements and his setup but the thing has some steamrollers on it.

It took lots of clearancing of the wheel wells, as well as fender flares and wheel spacers. But, they fit with no issues.

I started at 25” and worked my way down as far as I could until I got rubbing. I’m somewhere around 24.75” from ground to fender, but remember those are fender flares and might be in a bit different position.

Attachments

Exactly! Haha, I bet that thing grips like crazy. Looks rad
I lose a little aero, being higher off the ground. I don’t know if this is the long term solution for me or not. I’m sticking with slicks, but might end up with 15” wheels, if they fit over the Wilwood BBK. That would open up more slick choices.

kevinatfms

I lose a little aero, being higher off the ground. I don’t know if this is the long term solution for me or not. I’m sticking with slicks, but might end up with 15” wheels, if they fit over the Wilwood BBK. That would open up more slick choices.
Did i just read 15" wheels? What is this blasphemy!