Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The true cost on an LSD?

anticon

Thanks @haste for pointing out that resurfacing a flywheel is not suggested. Now I am wondering how risky is it to just keep the stock flywheel as-is. I only have 20k miles on it, I do have probably about 10 launches on it on an E30 stock turbo tune. I feel like my clutch use is probably pretty standard other than that.

haste

1000 Post Club
Thanks @haste for pointing out that resurfacing a flywheel is not suggested. Now I am wondering how risky is it to just keep the stock flywheel as-is. I only have 20k miles on it, I do have probably about 10 launches on it on an E30 stock turbo tune. I feel like my clutch use is probably pretty standard other than that.
Ford does have re-use guidelines in the service manual. If you need help finding the info, let me know and I can post it up.

anticon

Ford does have re-use guidelines in the service manual. If you need help finding the info, let me know and I can post it up.
Thanks I found it.
"
NOTE: Do not clean the dual mass flywheel with compressed air.
NOTE: Do not clean the dual mass flywheel with any kind of fluid, use a dry cloth only or damage to the dual mass flywheel may occur.
NOTE: Do not clean the gap between the primary and secondary mass. Only clean the bolt connection surface and the clutch surface or damage to the dual mass flywheel may occur.
NOTE: The dual mass flywheel cannot be machined.
  1. With the dual mass flywheel installed on the engine, inspect the dual mass flywheel surface for scoring, cracks, discoloration or damage. Check for contamination from grease, oil or fuel. If any of these conditions exist, install a new dual mass flywheel.
  1. Measure the rotational freeplay between the 2 reference marks on the secondary mass of the dual mass flywheel. If the rotational freeplay exceeds 10 mm (0.394 in), install a new dual mass flywheel.
  1. Inspect the dual mass flywheel ring gear. If the ring gear is damaged, install a new dual mass flywheel.
  1. Inspect the dual mass flywheel guide pins. If the guide pins are missing or different lengths, install a new dual mass flywheel.
  1. Inspect the transmission bell housing for traces of grease. If there is an excessive amount of grease 46.4 mm (1.83 in) from the front edge of the bell housing, install a new dual mass flywheel.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
I just ordered up the MFactory LSD and BG SSII gear oil from Whoosh and put together the install kit on Tasca. I think after various discounts I'll have all the parts needed for around $850 shipped. The local shop quoted me $1400 for the install. So, all in I should be around $2,250.
You're gonna LOVE it. omg, so much fun... (FYI, my labor was about $1100, but the other shop quoted $1,500, so your'e still in the right range.)