Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Thermostat Specs

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I posted in the other thread that my '18 came with a 180* thermostat from the factory. Again, I'm not making any claims to which cars got them and which didn't. Maybe mine is a factory freak, who knows. I had a Motorcraft on order with Whoosh but ended up canceling that part of the order ($5) when I tore it apart. Either way, the thermostat won't fix the issue, especially in my situation. It would just overheat in 30 mins instead of 40 on extreme temp days if starting with a higher temp t-stat. This is my second FIST ('15 pre-fix) and this one is noticeably better in temps when climbing hills and pushing it but the stock cooling system is still inadequate.

No, I didn't take pics but what would that prove? I would then be told that I swapped it before the photos. And I don't really care if you believe me or not, I'm not here for validation.
You're completely fine I believe you. The point you just validated and thank you for it is a lower temp thermostat is not the answer. They absolutely could have switched to 180 degree thermostat. Me and others just want a part number fact that all cars 18 and after have a 180 thermostat not potentially. You are not claiming that at all you are perfectly justified with what you're saying.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I posted in the other thread that my '18 came with a 180* thermostat from the factory. Again, I'm not making any claims to which cars got them and which didn't. Maybe mine is a factory freak, who knows. I had a Motorcraft on order with Whoosh but ended up canceling that part of the order ($5) when I tore it apart. Either way, the thermostat won't fix the issue, especially in my situation. It would just overheat in 30 mins instead of 40 on extreme temp days if starting with a higher temp t-stat. This is my second FIST ('15 pre-fix) and this one is noticeably better in temps when climbing hills and pushing it but the stock cooling system is still inadequate.

No, I didn't take pics but what would that prove? I would then be told that I swapped it before the photos. And I don't really care if you believe me or not, I'm not here for validation.
We don't know how fast it may or may not overheat when the cooling system has a 14 degree head start, but certainly slower for sure, and in my case maybe wouldn't have at all where I was literally only in stop and go for 15 minutes then exited to a hill with another 10 mins of stop and go. I think it would make a big dent into the problem overall for sure... And just about everyone on the FB groups who have responded with 18's are quoting full operating temps that are lower too, it's still likely that '18's got them but '19's look like a crap shoot... Anyway, thanks for for your feedback!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
You're completely fine I believe you. The point you just validated and thank you for it is a lower temp thermostat is not the answer. They absolutely could have switched to 180 degree thermostat. Me and others just want a part number fact that all cars 18 and after have a 180 thermostat not potentially. You are not claiming that at all you are perfectly justified with what you're saying.
And again, manufacturers quietly switch things around on the manufacturing floor without making an *official replacement part #* change too, it just happens... and I think is silly to assume that would have to happen to prove what they did on the manufacturing floor for a car they give no shits about any more... and with replacement parts for every year showing 180 as the new recommended temp, I think says a lot too... We can agree to disagree guys, sorry if I created some shit-show, but to me it's quite clear the '18's got them with the pile of evidence I've collected... yes, anecdotal, but sometimes as long as you have enough it can eventually be assumed as fact... Anyway, I have mine on order, not looking forward to how I'm going to install it at all, ugh... and I do think it will help, HOW much is yet to be seen, and maybe having it done professionally with the cooling system burped properly will make the most difference, hehe...

Dpro

6000 Post Club

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Exactly! No one is going to deny you (srt42b) happened to get one. We just want to know that Ford officially did it and not have people posting speculative opinions without the hard fact.
Its easier to get info right from the get go. Rather than stating and then having to retract because it turns out not to be true. Leaving possibly lots of people mislead with incorrect info.

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
So I am posting in both threads, I did a little digging today by calling Ford specifically to find out if my 2018 came with a 180 degree thermostat.
They guy looked up the part went back to check it and came back and said it reads 82.2c aka 180 degree thermostat. I then asked him the part number as I have one from Whoosh sitting here. He read it off as RT1211 which if you check online is a 190 degree thermo
The one from Whoosh has a part number of RT1241 .
Now I asked him had their been any superseded or model year chagrs listed he said no his skue reads 2013 and up. So it seems Ford has indeed at least at the replacement level started stocking 180 degree thermos under the 190 degree part number.
If things could not get more confusing.
It did not completely answer my question but does lend credence to the possiblity there is a 180 degree thermo in my car stock!

I actually now have my service guy at Galpin researching this to find out specifically if my car has it via my vin.

Last edited:

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Just for the sake of argument, the FiST has always had and still has a 180° thermostat.
The specs I refer to are from the 2014 service manual, stating 180°.
Then from the 17S09 recall that replaced the thermostat with an Updated 180° thermostat.
This part is from a Ford engineer visiting my dealership, the updated thermostat was then used in mid year production of 2015 foward.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Just for the sake of argument, the FiST has always had and still has a 180° thermostat.
The specs I refer to are from the 2014 service manual, stating 180°.
Then from the 17S09 recall that replaced the thermostat with an Updated 180° thermostat.
This part is from a Ford engineer visiting my dealership, the updated thermostat was then used in mid year production of 2015 foward.
Then is the 190 degree thermostat a myth? Lol I just went and did a little test with my AP and fired up the engine stone cold. The interesting thing is when the stock temp readout sat dead center my AP was reporting a idlling temp of 183 degrees. Which leads me to think there is a 180 degree thermo in there. Now I threw on the air to create a variable and took her around the block . Mind you its roughly 81 degrees outside. i then parked it and turned the air off. The temp range registered on the accesport was 183/192 and it settled to 190 sitting in the sun parked idling..

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Then is the 190 degree thermostat a myth? Lol I just went and did a little test with my AP and fired up the engine stone cold. The interesting thing is when the stock temp readout sat dead center my AP was reporting a idlling temp of 183 degrees. Which leads me to think there is a 180 degree thermo in there. Now I threw on the air to create a variable and took her around the block . Mind you its roughly 81 degrees outside. i then parked it and turned the air off. The temp range registered on the accesport was 183/192 and it settled to 190 sitting in the sun parked idling..
What many need to remember is that the thermostat does NOT set the temp of the coolant.
It only controls the start of the flow and how much flow to allow (not counting the bypass).
Again as per my service manual the original thermostat opened at 180° and was full open at 207°.
Maybe with the new one they changed the full open temp. or changed the amount that it opened.
The overall coolant temp. is degermed by everything else.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
What many need to remember is that the thermostat does NOT set the temp of the coolant.
It only controls the start of the flow and how much flow to allow (not counting the bypass).
Again as per my service manual the original thermostat opened at 180° and was full open at 207°.
Maybe with the new one they changed the full open temp. or changed the amount that it opened.
The overall coolant temp. is degermed by everything else.
Yes you are correct, I am now thinking my car has a 180 degree thermo .As that seemed to be the temp it opened around on the AP +3 degrees
. That was with the stock idiot temp gauge at dead center on our cars.