Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Thoughts on modding while in warranty period

ronmcdon

They should have thrown in the LSD for sure from the factory. I mean if they were insistent on cost cutting and being risk aversive, bringing over the fiesta st would have been questionable to begin with. strange some things were optimized so well like the engine and susp setup, we got fancy recaros as an option, expensive re050 tires, then you got some real questionable cost cutting decisions here and there.

Sometimes better just to spend more and buy a car well optimized from the factory (did that with my 12 mustang and current camero and how nice it is not for the car to become money pit with mods). Would have done so if there was a comparable option to the fiesta St in the US, but no way we are getting another well executed lightweight fwd car thats fun to drive and cheap to track. At this rate of modding I'm thinking would have saved money in the long run had I gone for a veloster n but then doubt it would be as fun and cheap to track.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^That ZL1 1LE is a BEAST of a ride! [twothumb] [driving] [raceflag]

About all it would ever really need is stickier tires, which yes, given their size and compounding, and their 3K mile or less wear rate on that car, are enough of a wallet vaporizer all on their own. LOL

ronmcdon

more like the tires need downgrading as they come stock with supercar 3R tyres w 100tw and don't quite heat up enough to be safe for street driving. Embarrassingly riding on 300tw ps4's now and splurging on a set of RS4's next. Only thing I upgraded was endless brake fluid.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
more like the tires need downgrading as they come stock with supercar 3R tyres w 100tw and don't quite heat up enough to be safe for street driving. Embarrassingly riding on 300tw ps4's now and splurging on a set of RS4's next. Only thing I upgraded was endless brake fluid.
HA! If I had enough coin to own one, I would probably go crazy and put a set of Hoosier A7s on some C10 CCWs on it, and drive that around on the street (but NOT in the rain, of course). [wink] [crazyeye][driving]

4DGC

(did that with my 12 mustang and current camero and how nice it is not for the car to become money pit with mods)

Camero? Really? That's as bad as when the brits call it a Cah- mah-ro. :(

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
They should have thrown in the LSD for sure from the factory. I mean if they were insistent on cost cutting and being risk aversive, bringing over the fiesta st would have been questionable to begin with. strange some things were optimized so well like the engine and susp setup, we got fancy recaros as an option, expensive re050 tires, then you got some real questionable cost cutting decisions here and there.

Sometimes better just to spend more and buy a car well optimized from the factory (did that with my 12 mustang and current camero and how nice it is not for the car to become money pit with mods). Would have done so if there was a comparable option to the fiesta St in the US, but no way we are getting another well executed lightweight fwd car thats fun to drive and cheap to track. At this rate of modding I'm thinking would have saved money in the long run had I gone for a veloster n but then doubt it would be as fun and cheap to track.
No "questionable cost" cutting, the FiST was built to a price point not a reduced option cost cutting move from a more expensive car. For example the rear suspension is amazing for its simplicity, functionality and low cost. Why would you think all FiST owners should have paid for an item like an expensive LSD they have no need for? Price/performance was the main point of the FiST as the lowest cost car in the Ford Performance lineup.
The Recaro "lites" in a FiST are not the same as regular Recaros. People may be impressed with in your words the "fancy" Recaros, and Ford sold a ton of those "fancy" seats. I'm pretty sure a normal Recaro seat would not fit in the FiST. To imply Ford did a "questionable" job on a worlds best seller because they did not include what is important to a select few is a stretch, LOL! As to a veloster N I can't get past the ugly or the $40K. with TTL.

ronmcdon

agree to disagree. I think LSD makes a notable difference to more than a select few, especially if it's a more performance oriented model. You don't have to include it in the base price. You can have that as an add on option, package or higher trim, which is part of the Mk8 as I understand. You have that in the case of the miata, Veloster N when you could get it cheaper without the performance package, etc.

There are absolutely cost cutting measures in the Fiesta ST in my opinion. people wouldn't be swapping out rmm, fmic, radiators if that weren't the case.

Also not sure why you are quoting "fancy" repeatedly. FYI I have no issue with the Recaros. Typically would splurge on a set myself.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^AGREED, as if they can offer a seating package option for an extra $2K, on a 'price point built' performance econobox, WHY TF could Ford have not offered a limited slip, paid extra for OPTION for the same amount of coin?!? [dunno][dunno]

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I thought that was Mountune? - minus the LSD of course (there's another Ford approved package that's not coming to mind at the moment)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^The M-Sport Special Edition Mk7 FiST was sold as a very limited run, officially through dealers (I believe ONLY in England, but maybe Europe as well [dunno]) with a Quaife limited slip installed, and OZ Superturismo LM wheels.

I am not positive, but I think that the ST200 was also offered with a Quaife limited slip as well, again, only in England/Europe.

I thought that was Mountune? - minus the LSD of course (there's another Ford approved package that's not coming to mind at the moment)
I'm talking factory installed and not dealer installed. Ford OE versus Ford approved. I get it. Small batch of cars in general, wanting a specific price point, etc... Still would have been awesome if there was a selectable line item that included the seats, LSD, better cooling. Like a track pack/perf. pack type of deal.