Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Almost time to take off the winter tires... thoughts on what tires for 16 inch wheels?

Longtime viewer, first time posting- I've got a 2017 FiST that's currently rocking a 15 inch steelies with Michelin X-Ice winter wheel/tire setup. My other setup is stock 17 inch wheels with whatever Falken Ziex all-seasons were on the car when I bought it 3 years ago.They're meh- not a high performance all season, and getting pretty worn out as of last fall. As we move into spring, its time to ditch the winters and it's time for new tires. Here's my thinking so far:

I want to drop down to 16 inch wheels. I live in downtown Detroit with generally terrible roads, and I had a heart attack every time I hit a big bump on the 17s and the we all know how stiff these cars are from the get go. Obviously, the 15 inch snowies have some more comfort and pothole protection. I'm pretty set on having 16s for spring/summer/fall so that little bit more sidewall can provide that little bit more protection and ride comfort, and I think I like the 16 inch look. As for wheels, I'm pretty set on Konig Lockouts. Yes, I know dekagrams are better and lighter blah blah blah, but I'm young, don't have a ton of disposable income and saving that extra couple hundred bucks means something when new wheels and tires are already a major expense.

Tires. Here's where I'd love some input. Living in Detroit, my car is primarily used around the city, on the highway and the occasional backroad weekend drive when I can get away. Not planning on tracking or autox for the foreseeable future, so I think the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus are a great fit for me, or the General G-MAX AS 05. Another benefit of the all seasons is being able to run them in the fall and spring when you neeever know when Michigan decides to send you an early or late snowstorm. BUT.... am I an idiot for not getting summer tires (such as the Conti ExtremeContact Sport 02)? It's also a huge bummer there are no Michelins Pilot Sport 4 or AS in the 205/45R16 size.

Curious to know anyone's thoughts on a 205/45R16 setup, all-season vs summer for my usage. Thanks!

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I actually just switched to 16 inch wheels as well. For tires, I ended up with continental extreme contact DWS06s. I didn’t want to deal with the hassle of switching between tires depending on the temperature and I’ve heard lots of people say that summer tires don’t perform well in lower temps. I have yet to do any driving on the continental tires, so I can’t really say much there, but they get excellent reviews on tire rack.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
How difficult (and inconvenient) is it for you to swap out wheelsets quickly (like when there is even a hint of that impending early/late blizzard)??

THAT is what I would use as a determinant of whether or not you should go with an UHP all season, or a pure summer (albeit 300+ tread wear ONLY, I am guessing?) tire.

Bang for the buck in function, you cannot go wrong with either the Conti or the Generals (I personally think that the DWS06 would do better in shallow snow/slush though, going by the tread pattern).

The only other one I would consider (if you might be facing some frozen precip, since the Neo Gens are NOT too good in that stuff), are the BFG g-force Comp-2 all season pluses.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
How difficult (and inconvenient) is it for you to swap out wheelsets quickly (like when there is even a hint of that impending early/late blizzard)??

THAT is what I would use as a determinant of whether or not you should go with an UHP all season, or a pure summer (albeit 300+ tread wear ONLY, I am guessing?) tire.

Bang for the buck in function, you cannot go wrong with either the Conti or the Generals (I personally think that the DWS06 would do better in shallow snow/slush though, going by the tread pattern).

The only other one I would consider (if you might be facing some frozen precip, since the Neo Gens are NOT too good in that stuff), are the BFG g-force Comp-2 all season pluses.
The BFG comp 2 all season pluses are not available in a 205/45/r16 as far as I know. Tire rack and discount tire say that they’re out of stock.

I run General G-MAX AS 05's, and BFG Comp2 A/S+'s for spring/summer/fall in New England,
then switch to real snow tires at the first real snow in November, or December.
If there's no more snow in the forecast by April 1st,
the snow tires come back off.

16's probably are the best compromise,
but I run taller 205/45-17's so I can keep the stock wheels, and still get a little more sidewall height.
I also like the slight RPM drop on the highway with the taller tires (around 24" tall for the 45's vs 23.5" tall for the factory 40's).

BFG has been all over the place as far as tire production,
they stopped making 205/45-17's for a while last year, I couldn't even find any used tires in that size,
then they did a big production run and everyone had them again.

If 205/45-16 is a normal BFG Comp2 A/S+ size,
don't be surprised if they fire up production again at some point and make a batch.

I also like the G-max AS-05's, but I personally haven't had them last as many miles as the BFG's.
In snow, the AS-05's steer and stop better (for me) than the BFG's,
but in every other street situation I like the BFG's better.

As far as running a true summer only tire (like the OEM tires were)
There's plenty of fall mornings here where the temps are in the teens, or 20's at 5am,
and then it can be 80+ degrees out on the way home a few days later.
All Season's are the best compromise for me for that.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm really interested in how you like these, I planned to get a set in a week or two and was looking at forum feedback.
I will definitely keep y’all updated on them. A friend of mine had them on him focus (which he used for spirited driving until he bought a WRX) and he said that they were a solid performer.

BFG has been all over the place as far as tire production,
they stopped making 205/45-17's for a while last year, I couldn't even find any used tires in that size,
then they did a big production run and everyone had them again.

If 205/45-16 is a normal BFG Comp2 A/S+ size,
don't be surprised if they fire up production again at some point and make a batch.
That good to hear! I was worried that they were completely dropping them from their lineup.
As far as running a true summer only tire (like the OEM tires were)
There's plenty of fall mornings here where the temps are in the teens, or 20's at 5am,
and then it can be 80+ degrees out on the way home a few days later.
All Season's are the best compromise for me for that.
I was in the same situation as you. When I leave for work at 6:15, in the fall/spring it could be cold enough that the summers would loose performance. I don’t have to worry about that with an all season. Plus it’s better in the rain.

I run I run taller 205/45-17's so I can keep the stock wheels, and still get a little more sidewall height.
I also like the slight RPM drop on the highway with the taller tires (around 24" tall for the 45's vs 23.5" tall for the factory 40's).
Same here atm. Two benefits: like PBST said, the beefier sidewall helps a bit with ride and a little insurance against potholes. Also, you can get Michelin PS4 A/S tires in this size. They’re expensive but unbeatable as a do-everything tire. If you’re not getting new wheels then you might be able to put the money toward these.

One thing to add, though, is that it will increase the ride height a bit. I’m always surprised when I go from my steelies/Michelin X-ice winter set up to these how much taller the car looks.

Longtime viewer, first time posting- I've got a 2017 FiST that's currently rocking a 15 inch steelies with Michelin X-Ice winter wheel/tire setup. My other setup is stock 17 inch wheels with whatever Falken Ziex all-seasons were on the car when I bought it 3 years ago.They're meh- not a high performance all season, and getting pretty worn out as of last fall. As we move into spring, its time to ditch the winters and it's time for new tires. Here's my thinking so far:

I want to drop down to 16 inch wheels. I live in downtown Detroit with generally terrible roads, and I had a heart attack every time I hit a big bump on the 17s and the we all know how stiff these cars are from the get go. Obviously, the 15 inch snowies have some more comfort and pothole protection. I'm pretty set on having 16s for spring/summer/fall so that little bit more sidewall can provide that little bit more protection and ride comfort, and I think I like the 16 inch look. As for wheels, I'm pretty set on Konig Lockouts. Yes, I know dekagrams are better and lighter blah blah blah, but I'm young, don't have a ton of disposable income and saving that extra couple hundred bucks means something when new wheels and tires are already a major expense.

Tires. Here's where I'd love some input. Living in Detroit, my car is primarily used around the city, on the highway and the occasional backroad weekend drive when I can get away. Not planning on tracking or autox for the foreseeable future, so I think the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus are a great fit for me, or the General G-MAX AS 05. Another benefit of the all seasons is being able to run them in the fall and spring when you neeever know when Michigan decides to send you an early or late snowstorm. BUT.... am I an idiot for not getting summer tires (such as the Conti ExtremeContact Sport 02)? It's also a huge bummer there are no Michelins Pilot Sport 4 or AS in the 205/45R16 size.

Curious to know anyone's thoughts on a 205/45R16 setup, all-season vs summer for my usage. Thanks!
if money is that tight for you (and i get that), i think you should consider getting a higher sidewall 17in if you still have the stock suspension. i run 215/45R17s to pack as much wheel into the wheel well but you can get 215/40R17s as well. You'll get a little more comfort and protection from the added sidewall and save on getting new wheels.

OP
MagneticSTSam
Thread Starter #10
if money is that tight for you (and i get that), i think you should consider getting a higher sidewall 17in if you still have the stock suspension. i run 215/45R17s to pack as much wheel into the wheel well but you can get 215/40R17s as well. You'll get a little more comfort and protection from the added sidewall and save on getting new wheels.
Same here atm. Two benefits: like PBST said, the beefier sidewall helps a bit with ride and a little insurance against potholes. Also, you can get Michelin PS4 A/S tires in this size. They’re expensive but unbeatable as a do-everything tire. If you’re not getting new wheels then you might be able to put the money toward these.

One thing to add, though, is that it will increase the ride height a bit. I’m always surprised when I go from my steelies/Michelin X-ice winter set up to these how much taller the car looks.
Wow, I so appreciate all the feedback here. I think I’m down to either the 16 inch Konigs with Conti DSW06+ or keeping the stock rims with Michelin PS4 AS with a 45R sidewall. Michelins will certainly come out cheaper so I’m leaning towards that…

Quick question on the Michelins, possibly naive- any rubbing? Does this throw off the speedometer at all?

Wow, I so appreciate all the feedback here. I think I’m down to either the 16 inch Konigs with Conti DSW06+ or keeping the stock rims with Michelin PS4 AS with a 45R sidewall. Michelins will certainly come out cheaper so I’m leaning towards that…

Quick question on the Michelins, possibly naive- any rubbing? Does this throw off the speedometer at all?
I get no rubbing with 205/45 with the PS4 AS, and the speedomoter is really comparable with even my 195/55 r15 winter tires that I wasn't worried about it. You can actually calculate speeds here if you want to compare: https://purperformance.com/p-29669-rpm-calculator.html

@esp_martin, do you get any rubbing with 215/45s? I thought I'd heard that it can occur, but is pretty minor - but I have no experience there...

every tire is a little different and you will have more sidewall than me regardless as I run a 7.5in wide wheel. but i run 215/45R17 Firehawk Indy 500s and I have no rub on a stock suspension. not a naive question at all.

There is *one* exception where on my commute home there's a downhill highway exit with a dip in the pavement followed by a sharp right turn. So if I'm going as fast as I can a lot of the weight of the car is going to the front driver side wheel and I will hit the bump stop for a split second. I can live with that. There are others who have the same tire size and report no issues on a stock setup.

MPH does change a little. there is a website that has a calculator that comes up if you google for it. i think it's around 2-3mph over what's stated on your speedometer when you hitg 75mph or 80.

OP
MagneticSTSam
Thread Starter #13
I get no rubbing with 205/45 with the PS4 AS, and the speedomoter is really comparable with even my 195/55 r15 winter tires that I wasn't worried about it. You can actually calculate speeds here if you want to compare: https://purperformance.com/p-29669-rpm-calculator.html

@esp_martin, do you get any rubbing with 215/45s? I thought I'd heard that it can occur, but is pretty minor - but I have no experience there...
Got it. I think I’m going to go with the Michelins in 205/45R17 on my stock wheels! Saves me like $700 vs 16 inch rims and still gives me that bit more sidewall comfort and protection I’m after. Plus I’ve just heard so many good things about the Michelin Pilot Sport family. Thanks all!

OP
MagneticSTSam
Thread Starter #14
every tire is a little different and you will have more sidewall than me regardless as I run a 7.5in wide wheel. but i run 215/45R17 Firehawk Indy 500s and I have no rub on a stock suspension. not a naive question at all.

There is *one* exception where on my commute home there's a downhill highway exit with a dip in the pavement followed by a sharp right turn. So if I'm going as fast as I can a lot of the weight of the car is going to the front driver side wheel and I will hit the bump stop for a split second. I can live with that. There are others who have the same tire size and report no issues on a stock setup.

MPH does change a little. there is a website that has a calculator that comes up if you google for it. i think it's around 2-3mph over what's stated on your speedometer when you hitg 75mph or 80.
Not seeing the Michelins in a 215 and I want to keep stock wheels if I’m sticking with 17 inch. But glad to hear you don’t have any issues. Thanks!

Not seeing the Michelins in a 215 and I want to keep stock wheels if I’m sticking with 17 inch. But glad to hear you don’t have any issues. Thanks!
yeah i went 215/45 because i want to eventually put them on 8in wide wheels. 205/45 is probably perfect for 7in rims and your needs. the big added benefit will be that it'll fill more of that wheel arch gap the Fiesta has

OP
MagneticSTSam
Thread Starter #17
yeah i went 215/45 because i want to eventually put them on 8in wide wheels. 205/45 is probably perfect for 7in rims and your needs. the big added benefit will be that it'll fill more of that wheel arch gap the Fiesta has
Right… look lower without lowering lol. I like the look of a bit more sidewall in general too

PBST

Yes, it won't be a night/day difference for ride and protection, but since you say "that bit more" then this should do the trick. Good luck!
Comment might be a little late,
but I especially like the BFG Comp 2 A/S+ 205/45 17, because the sidewall rubber is thicker & sticks out a little further past the wheel lip to act as a built in wheel protector against light/slight curb rubs.

The taller profile + rim protecting sidewall = 205/45 BFG's as my go-to for the factory wheels.

You can see the extra thick lip and how much it sticks out past the wheel edge in the pics

Attachments