Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tial 38mm wastegate v band possibly leaking?

This is my first post so sorry if anything is incorrect or it is in the wrong category. I have a rebuilt C39 turbo with a tial 38mm external waste gate on my car. It uses stock exhaust manifold with a flange welded to it in order for the wastegate to connect with a v band clamp. We have not been able to hit peak boost, and are very slightly off by maybe 2lbs or so and my tuner has had me go over the entire car checking for leaks, turbo damage and such. While doing this, I found no leaks and no turbo damage, except there is a slight exhaust smell near the wastegate. If I’m not mistaken they leak slightly, but the v band clamp on the inlet side of the wastegate (where it connects to the manifold) was misshapen due to us having to manipulate it to come off with a flathead and rubber mallet because it was previously already misshapen. We straightened it out, and beat it on, and got it relatively tight, but it would not go any tighter than we got it. It’s tight, but not tight tight if you know what I mean. I’m out of options at this point as I’ve gone over the entire car, retorqued everything, and even gone as far as lubing my gfb Dv+ to make sure it’s not sticking as I read they can overtime if not lubed. Everything is set up correctly as confirmed by Adam at tune+ as well. Springs in the wastegate are correct. Everything is correct and that’s why I’m stumped, that’s why my only answer could be that the messed up v-band could be the source of a small leak and therefore causing me not to hit peak boost. Any help or two cents is appreciated, thanks.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
This is my first post so sorry if anything is incorrect or it is in the wrong category. I have a rebuilt C39 turbo with a tial 38mm external waste gate on my car. It uses stock exhaust manifold with a flange welded to it in order for the wastegate to connect with a v band clamp. We have not been able to hit peak boost, and are very slightly off by maybe 2lbs or so and my tuner has had me go over the entire car checking for leaks, turbo damage and such. While doing this, I found no leaks and no turbo damage, except there is a slight exhaust smell near the wastegate. If I’m not mistaken they leak slightly, but the v band clamp on the inlet side of the wastegate (where it connects to the manifold) was misshapen due to us having to manipulate it to come off with a flathead and rubber mallet because it was previously already misshapen. We straightened it out, and beat it on, and got it relatively tight, but it would not go any tighter than we got it. It’s tight, but not tight tight if you know what I mean. I’m out of options at this point as I’ve gone over the entire car, retorqued everything, and even gone as far as lubing my gfb Dv+ to make sure it’s not sticking as I read they can overtime if not lubed. Everything is set up correctly as confirmed by Adam at tune+ as well. Springs in the wastegate are correct. Everything is correct and that’s why I’m stumped, that’s why my only answer could be that the messed up v-band could be the source of a small leak and therefore causing me not to hit peak boost. Any help or two cents is appreciated, thanks.
Need to make a boost leak tester or Buy one off Ebay....that will help you find the source of the leak. You will also need a source of Air AKA Air compressor with adjustable option so you can control the flow when doing the boost leak test* Good luck...keep us up to date!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
aruth55
Thread Starter #3
Need to make a boost leak tester or Buy one off Ebay....that will help you find the source of the leak. You will also need a source of Air AKA Air compressor with adjustable option so you can control the flow when doing the boost leak test* Good luck...keep us up to date!

Thank you for the response! We will get on the leak test and try to get a diagnosis, I ordered a new inlet side v-band clamp in hopes that’s what’s leaking. Let’s hope rallysport ships quick 🙄 Will keep updated until we figure it out!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thank you for the response! We will get on the leak test and try to get a diagnosis, I ordered a new inlet side v-band clamp in hopes that’s what’s leaking. Let’s hope rallysport ships quick [emoji849] Will keep updated until we figure it out!
What does the Vband look like? There are a couple different choices. I had one design from ATP that came with the Gen2 GTX2860R kit and another came out later that IMO is better designed which I changed out to and is better design also.

OP
aruth55
Thread Starter #5
What does the Vband look like? There are a couple different choices. I had one design from ATP that came with the Gen2 GTX2860R kit and another came out later that IMO is better designed which I changed out to and is better design also.

It’s an original Tial vband clamp actually but it was used by a previous owner so it’s seen better days, has some different hardware on it which doesn’t allow it to fully tighten. I noticed today my MPG are going down and when going into boost smelling the exhaust leak from the front when my window is down. Which is telling me when exhaust is pushed through the wastegate it’s leaking at that clamp I’m assuming due to the shape it’s in. Crossing my fingers!
https://www.rallysportdirect.com/pa...MI5I_O2eSk7gIVR_DjBx07wwDBEAQYASABEgIfufD_BwE
There is the link to the replacement and the current type on the car now.

OP
aruth55
Thread Starter #6

I’m for sure staying off boost until I get it sorted!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
That clamp is what I was hoping it would be. Those are better than some of the other garbage I've seen and used* Should be good to go with a new one!

OP
aruth55
Thread Starter #8
That clamp is what I was hoping it would be. Those are better than some of the other garbage I've seen and used* Should be good to go with a new one!
I’m really hoping that’s what it is, I’ve read the v bands are really sensitive and any sort of damage can cause them to leak, I think it would make sense because I’m slightly below peak boost, and losing MPG as I said and can actually smell exhaust right around that area. I don’t see any soot but that’s not necessary for a small leak, right? I also don’t see exhaust leaking out during a cold start (it’s cold where I am near Chicago), but I’d have to assume it’s only leaking when I’m boosting and the exhaust gas has nowhere else to go so it takes the path of least resistance (the assumed leak) rather than fully compressing the springs and hitting full boost. I also know the turbos capable because for one data log on this current revision I was able to hit 24psi. After that one time, I continually hit 22psi over and over only. Should be at 25psi on 93 according to Adam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
aruth55
Thread Starter #9
Typhoon, sorry to bother, but was hoping to get your two cents on this brother. Do you think it’s possible this could be the cause of the leaking?

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/pa...MInKL8k7um7gIVj4bACh0xhw_nEAQYASABEgLxafD_BwE

The one I have currently seems damaged in no way, but do they go bad overtime? Thanks.

OP
aruth55
Thread Starter #11
Heat fatigue....exhaust/ soot*

Ahh okay not seeing any of that so I’m guessing it’s just the clamp not sealing as before. It should be here tomorrow, I’ll update when it’s on

OP
aruth55
Thread Starter #12
Heat fatigue....exhaust/ soot*

Very odd. Today did a couple full boost pulls and hit full boost every single time. Car still has a leak because AFR hits 10.88 so it’s running a bit lean, but makes no sense really to me. New v band should be on in a few hours will update

OP
aruth55
Thread Starter #13
Got new v band on and AFR is fixed, doesn’t drop below 11 and seem to be hitting boost. Smell in engine bay is gone as well and smell after doing a pull is gone. Old v band had wrong hardware size as well, and was not visually warped but to the point we had a tough time getting it off. Some soot it looked like around the wastegate and manifold flanges as well where the v band goes on. Car seems to be fixed! Will update if anything changes but should be all good