Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tire Noise (help!)

Brianmc27

I’ve had a set of Federal ST-1s on my Dekagrams for about 1000 miles (both wheels and tires installed at same time).

The front driver side tire developed a rotational “sticky” sort of noise that drove me nuts when my windows were down.

I rotated the tires, which temporarily solved the issue, but the noise seems to be coming back.

Any insight?

OP
Brianmc27

Brianmc27

Thread Starter #6
Tread pattern and tire compound vary and so does the amount of noise
I understand that, but it would be constant if that were the case. This is a noise that develops over time on one corner of the car.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Any one tire could be flawed.
I would complain to the place that you bought the tires and see what they say.

OP
Brianmc27

Brianmc27

Thread Starter #8
Any one tire could be flawed.
I would complain to the place that you bought the tires and see what they say.
It’s developed on a second tire after the rotation. So it probably is alignment.

I was at the TireRack facility in South Bend to have a tire replaced. I also had them test a noisy tire for runout. It had a high spot and was out of spec and was replaced.

OP
Brianmc27

Brianmc27

Thread Starter #10
I was at the TireRack facility in South Bend to have a tire replaced. I also had them test a noisy tire for runout. It had a high spot and was out of spec and was replaced.
This will be my lesson to not buy from online retailers I guess.

Why can’t more manufacturers make 215/45r16 dammit!?

It’s hit or miss at the store or online. Just have to ask if they have a machine to test for it

never heard of a tire noise due to alignment but i could be wrong. but yeah some tires are noisy.

Last edited:
So the same corner is making a noise even after an alignment and it’s a sticky noise. With your window down you can only hear the driver side front tire but they are all probably making the same noise. I bet the sound changes as you drive over different roads and goes away completely on some.

OP
Brianmc27

Brianmc27

Thread Starter #15
So the same corner is making a noise even after an alignment and it’s a sticky noise. With your window down you can only hear the driver side front tire but they are all probably making the same noise. I bet the sound changes as you drive over different roads and goes away completely on some.
I haven't done an alignment yet, only a rotation. It disappeared after rotating the tires, and is now developing again. So it's got to be an uneven wear just on that one corner. I could hear the noise on the back right corner after the initial rotation (the one that was previously on the driver front).

If the problem is on the back right corner then it can’t be an alignment issue because we have solid rear axles which are not adjustable?

Also are these tires directional? Be careful about how you rotate them. I would double check to make sure they are all rotating the proper direction and to make sure that whoever mounted them mounted them properly

OP
Brianmc27

Brianmc27

Thread Starter #18
Also are these tires directional? Be careful about how you rotate them. I would double check to make sure they are all rotating the proper direction and to make sure that whoever mounted them mounted them properly
Nope, I was actually surprised when I got them that they weren't directional.

HBEcoBeaST

Why are we ruling out a wheel bearing issue? If it's the same corner making noise after tire rotation there aren't many other culprits.

I have a wheel bearing going out and I would describe the noise as a 'sticky' rotational noise that is different from the clicking of something stuck in my tire. Usually crap tires (alignment, bulge, etc) make a humming/buzzing/growling noise.

OP
Brianmc27

Brianmc27

Thread Starter #20
Why are we ruling out a wheel bearing issue? If it's the same corner making noise after tire rotation there aren't many other culprits.

I have a wheel bearing going out and I would describe the noise as a 'sticky' rotational noise that is different from the clicking of something stuck in my tire. Usually crap tires (alignment, bulge, etc) make a humming/buzzing/growling noise.
That is my secondary thought. The fact that the sound went away for a few weeks after rotating made me thing it might not be a bearing or CV, however.