Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tires/wheels to make my ST a bit more practical...

Not a car guy so please forgive my lack of knowledge. I'm finding the stock wheel/tire combo on my ST a bit impractical for my commuting and travel use. I'm experiencing bone-jarring hits from potholes on unfamiliar roads, my wife got some curb rash on one wheel trying to park the car, and my local tire shop scuffed up another wheel replacing a tire (see bone-jarring hits above).

What wheel/tire diameter and width will best retain the handling "character" of the car, yet provide a better safety margin for crappy roads? Also, are there wheels that are "recessed" (not sure of the terminology) so they are not so susceptible to curb rash? What sources (Tire Rack?) would you suggest? I'm in the metro Atlanta area. Thanks!

I run 215/45 Cooper RS3 G-1's on the stock wheels and think it softened up the ride just enough, and gives extra cushion for potholes. The tires bead out a bit past the face of the wheel, arguably saving me from terribly curbing them if the day comes. I like the extra little bit of meaty look it gains for sure, too.

Other than that, I just had to modify the poorly designed RA mudflaps so the damn bolt(s?) that sticks out didn't catch and rub anymore when cornering tight.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
If you keep the factory 17x7 wheels, try running some 215/40/17 hi-performance all seasons.

They have a taller sidewall that cushions the shock better , and all seasons tend to ride a bit softer.

I run Federal SS595 in 215/40. Theyre still very grippy, but they are softer riding that the factory 205/40 Potenzas. And theyre like $65 a tire too.

Another option would be to buy 15"/16" wheels and run fatter tires on those like a 205/55 or 205/60.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

cxwrench

Don't want to sound like a jerk but learning how to park properly would be a much less expensive alternative. Even if you had 'recessed' rims you're still not supposed to use the tire sidewall as a curb feeler.

You could go to 15" or 16" rims and correspondingly taller tires. Less noise, a bit better ride quality, less chance of rim damage. Do some reading here and you'll see what people are using that works well. I got mine from TireRack, they're a good place to look.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
If you're worried about curb rash some tires have lips on them that protect the rim. You could go down to a 16-inch rim, and run a 205/50/R16 tire. It will soften the ride up.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
R
Thread Starter #6
Don't want to sound like a jerk but learning how to park properly would be a much less expensive alternative. Even if you had 'recessed' rims you're still not supposed to use the tire sidewall as a curb feeler.
Well, you do. Geez...

OP
R
Thread Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions on taller sidewall tires. I did not realize that was even an option!

cxwrench

Well, you do. Geez...
Really? It was that bad? Being honest is not good?

Concerning tires I went from stock 17's w/ 40 series tires to 16's w/ 45 series. Obviously the tires were new but it cut down some on the NVH. If your roads are really bad you can go 15's w/ 50 series tires.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Really? It was that bad? Being honest is not good?

Concerning tires I went from stock 17's w/ 40 series tires to 16's w/ 45 series. Obviously the tires were new but it cut down some on the NVH. If your roads are really bad you can go 15's w/ 50 series tires.
You can run a 50 Series on a 16 as well.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Even with the tallest sidewall tire though, stock suspension is pretty harsh for bad roads. If changing the wheels/tire doesn't work for you, you could also try changing the shocks and struts.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk