Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil catch can/Separator

Anyone running the CFM valve cover breather/filter and having oil coming through the breather into the filter???

HaveBlue83

wait...so that's IT?!?!?! omfg phew. and ur modded too lol. Ok i should be fine then. my MPG went down a bit (winter gas) and I was worried. I used to get 44mph hwy and now its like 40. lol. i have 16K on mine and I am going to do a simple CC and Check valve soon. my idea failed with no check valve lol.

thx for pics. I was thinking it was going to be MS3 bad in there.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
wait...so that's IT?!?!?! omfg phew. and ur modded too lol. Ok i should be fine then. my MPG went down a bit (winter gas) and I was worried. I used to get 44mph hwy and now its like 40. lol. i have 16K on mine and I am going to do a simple CC and Check valve soon. my idea failed with no check valve lol.

thx for pics. I was thinking it was going to be MS3 bad in there.
You talkin to me? Lol. Yeah it was better than I expected too. Remind you that I use Amsoil Signature series, have a cc and also drive pretty aggressively so mine may vary from yours. Idk...we will have to wait until more people open that area up :)

Update on catch cans... FYI I have clear tubes on my catch can, there's decent amount of blow by. Got curious... decided to check the second PCV tube, and guess what, nice puddle of oil in the intake tube. Currently thinking of ways to route both into the catch can...
You'll see that with Forced Induction. NA engines don't require it on the driver side because there is literally almost no blow-by at all until you add FI. Once FI is added, they recommend them for both sides.

There is already a factory Crankcase Vent Oil Separator.

It is what the second PCV hose attaches to.
So no additional Catch Cans or connections should be necessary.

Dave
Except it returns fuel, oil, and water to the crankcase for recycling. a second catch can would slow the accumulation down.

My brother has been hyper miling his Golf GTI for many thousands of miles. He recently was charged $1500 to clean the valves. I believe they actually remove the head and disassemble the valvetrain to do the cleaning. Holy crap.
True, and Ford's in-line oil separator is to keep the engine clean until the warranty ends. At some point it's going to need a cleaning. a second can would extend the life of the engine before said cleaning is needed.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
I found oil in my aem intake tube, filter and heatshield. Is this normal on our cars? Is this what oil catch cans are for?

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
You say its not normal but some others are saying its normal on DI turbo charged cars. I doesn't sound normal to me.

OP
Sekred

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #253
I found oil in my aem intake tube, filter and heatshield. Is this normal on our cars? Is this what oil catch cans are for?
You should not have oil running into the filter, sounds like your PVC system may not be working correctly. Check to see that the PVC hose is connect properly to the engine valve cover and the intake manifold.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
So i just dropped my car off at All American Ford Hackensack, NJ. Right away the service advisior says your intake may void your warranty, that made me so pissed i quickly told him they have to prove my intake caused the oil in the intake problem it the law lol he kinda stuttered and called I guess his manager to ask the question and he was told they have to check to see what caused the problem...smh. Cant wait to hear what they say. From what ive read on the net with similar problems is the pcv system so im crossing my fingers its that and nothing worse. I already miss my baby.

Some dealers are so quick to pass the buck. Any legitimate car guy could tell you that an intake doesn't cause oil to magically appear.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
So I picked up my car today and the dealer tells me that Fomoco says its normal to occasionally get engine oil in the intake tube from hard acceleration o_O. I never heard such a thing.
So all they did was flush the intake and sent me on my way.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
So I picked up my car today and the dealer tells me that Fomoco says its normal to occasionally get engine oil in the intake tube from hard acceleration o_O. I never heard such a thing.
So all they did was flush the intake and sent me on my way.
A lot of members seem to think it's normal too, in both the FiST and FoST communities...

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Gonna look into a catch can now.
You may as well, it seems like a lot of people are reporting having fluid. On the FoST site an informal poll is showing 2:1 of those that are having fluid issues versus those with dry pipes. Only 27 responses, but still.