Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Transmission Noise

It's not whining in any gear, though. It's just the "clunk" noise that is intermittent but always happens between first and second gear that the OP demonstrated in his video.

iso100

1000 Post Club
Ahh, I had the wrong "transmission noise" thread in mind. That noise is totally not normal. Seems like a dual mass flywheel issue.

OP
Matt_FiST
Thread Starter #63
That noise wasn't there during break in. I remember not having clunky gears. Something must be loosening up. There has to be a fix for this noise. Im installing subwoofers.

Chris G

That noise wasn't there during break in. I remember not having clunky gears. Something must be loosening up. There has to be a fix for this noise. Im installing subwoofers.
I'm with you. My transmission makes all kinds of interesting noises but every time I come on here I see 10+ people with the same 'issue' going strong. I am fairly confident the car did not make these noises when it was brand new; then again, with a brand new car I wasn't listening very closely to noises, etc.

My only fear is that I get too far down the road and then one day it just explodes out of nowhere. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. :)

I can't argue with the engineers, though. Although, I noticed that when driving home from the dealer, the transmission was markedly quieter than it has been before. I remember the tech mentioning that something might need adjusting on the first day I brought it in. I wonder if that's what they did.

The engineers basically said that it's a high performance transmission that isn't designed to be whisper quiet like the standard Fiesta 5-speed. I've been doing some more reading and it seems like the transmission fluid being too thin from the factory may be a culprit too.

TheStig

If my transmission had "whine" to it i would just slap a Hewland sticker on it and call it a certified race car.

That noise wasn't there during break in. I remember not having clunky gears. Something must be loosening up...
I'm with you. My transmission makes all kinds of interesting noises but every time I come on here I see 10+ people with the same 'issue' going strong. I am fairly confident the car did not make these noises when it was brand new; then again, with a brand new car I wasn't listening very closely to noises, etc...
Hi guys,

Any new developments since your posts? I'll be happy to check out some options to get your engines to shush. :) Just PM me your VIN, updated mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

Chris G

Meagan - appreciate you reaching out. What options are really available for those that hear the noise but are not experiencing any problems?

I've never taken mine in to the dealership for the issue I am mentioning. Honestly, I am not that worried about it yet. But I am keeping a close eye on it. I will keep you posted if anything comes up.

Thank you for reaching out, once again.

Chris G

Figured I would throw an update out there. Installed some Mountune springs over the weekend so I've been listening very carefully for suspension clunks and what not...

The good news is there does not appear to be any suspension clunks. The bad news is I noticed some additional transmission noises that I probably don't typically hear with the radio on. On top of the normal DMF clunk when shifting, I'm now getting (what I would describe as) a rattling type noise when taking off from a stop and shifting gears. I'm going to do some more driving today and see what I notice. Trying not to get too excited yet but did want to share an update.

Car is now a little over a year old with 14k miles on it (a lot of highway too due to my commute). Kinda sorta wondering if it's time for a fluid change.

OP
Matt_FiST
Thread Starter #70
I'm with you. My transmission makes all kinds of interesting noises but every time I come on here I see 10+ people with the same 'issue' going strong. I am fairly confident the car did not make these noises when it was brand new; then again, with a brand new car I wasn't listening very closely to noises, etc.

My only fear is that I get too far down the road and then one day it just explodes out of nowhere. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. :)
I had a new engine installed. I have been leaving the transmission in gear and downshifting more, and that seems to reduce the noise if not all of it. When I am in Neutral is when it makes the awful clicking noise as if I had lockers of my differential. The clunk noise still happens. I have learned to tune out that noise.

OP
Matt_FiST
Thread Starter #72
New engine eh? Different issue than the transmission? [emoji12]
The old engine somehow overheated, blew the HG, and broke a piston, without any check engine lights. Thermostat temp read normal. So with all the heat, I feel I may have a serious problem and not know it.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
The old engine somehow overheated, blew the HG, and broke a piston, without any check engine lights. Thermostat temp read normal. So with all the heat, I feel I may have a serious problem and not know it.
Cyl 3?

Similar issue with my 2015 with 6700 miles. With the clutch in, as I move the shifter from 1st to 2nd, you can clearly hear a "clacking" noise from somewhere under the hood/car. It's loud enough for the sound to echo through a parking structure. You can hear a similar, though fainter, noise while moving the shifter from 2nd to 3rd and sometimes 3rd to 4th. Haven't noticed the trans making the noise beyond 4th. Only other issue I have is that, SOMETIMES, at a stop and with clutch all the way to the floor, the shifter doesn't want to go completely into 1st gear. It stops half-way as though something were in the way of the shifter. I usually need to let the clutch out, then depress it to the floor again, for the shifter to fully slide into 1st. I had a similar issue with my old Honda, which they told me was normal. No whining noises to complain about....YET. I'll bring it to the dealer's attention next time it goes in for service. It doesn't seem to be hindering performance/operation for the time being.

That is exactly what I hear when when I go from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 2nd to 3rd. I thought I wasn't giving enough gas or letting the clutch go too fast but I still get this noise consistently. This is my first manual car so I keep thinking the problem lies with me, but now I'm having doubts.

Thanks for the response. As I mentioned earlier, there doesn't seem to be an impact on driveability, only that, on occasion, the shifter experiences some type of resistance half-way between neutral and 1st.

I do not remember it making the noise when I first bought the vehicle about 6 months ago. The noise does not "come-and-go." It's always there, no matter if I'm up-shifting or down-shifting, full throttle or coasting, engine cold or hot. Believe it or not, but on a quiet night, with the radio and AC off, I can hear the "clacking" all the way through 5th gear, and sometimes even shifting into 6th (though as the gears get higher, the noise becomes less pronounced).