Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Grinding noise from transmission

Need some help. Today i came home from work and i had no issues while driving until i was coming close to a stop and i heard a rattle-grinding noise then i stopped went out of gear and the noise still persisted in neutral. The sound gets worse when i press try to put it in gear and slowly creeps forward. has anyone had this issues, Bad throw out bearing or something else?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Need some help. Today i came home from work and i had no issues while driving until i was coming close to a stop and i heard a rattle-grinding noise then i stopped went out of gear and the noise still persisted in neutral. The sound gets worse when i press try to put it in gear and slowly creeps forward. has anyone had this issues, Bad throw out bearing or something else?
Mileage? Year? Mods?

CSM

1000 Post Club
If its bad throw out bearing it should go away when you push the clutch in.

Could also be dual mass flywheel failure - the springs can fail on those and they will rattle really bad

OP
D
Thread Starter #7
If its bad throw out bearing it should go away when you push the clutch in.

Could also be dual mass flywheel failure - the springs can fail on those and they will rattle really bad
Just posted a video of the noise, thank you for the feedback! Do you know the price range on the flywheel only?

CSM

1000 Post Club
Just posted a video of the noise, thank you for the feedback! Do you know the price range on the flywheel only?
I think I was able to get mine through local dealer at a little over $300. You'll want to go ahead and replace the clutch and clutch slave while you're at it (they are fairly cheap and not much more labor involved), and inspect maybe replace throw out bearing as well.

Hell, at your mileage (about same as mine when I did clutch) might be time to consider it anyways if you are going to keep the car a while.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I would do a quick tranny fluid refresh and see how it sounds then. At the very least new fluid could buy you some time if it's not something relatively simple as a throw out bearing

Last edited: