Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Transmission ratios on this car are flawless.

So far at 300whp, I've hit 118mph at the end of some front straights on tracks near me. I don't have any super fast tracks like AMP or VIR that I visit. VIR is a bucket list track but haven't gotten there yet. Be advised that if you are paying a mechanic to do this swap, it's pricey. Some of the gears (I think 2nd?) are considered consumable so they need to be cut to be taken off. Some have gotten lucky but I did not. I don't consider this a DIY job but others are more brave than I am. Also @haste has the shorter gear ratio so perhaps they can comment.
Good info, thanks. At my local track, I have gotten into the low 130s, and I have aspirations for closer to 140 . . . and I wouldn't want to have to hit 6th to get there. However, it's worth noting that I run a slightly taller tire than you use in those calculations, so it could be fine..

I've only ever had the car at VIR once. I was down on boost myself, so I didn't get to take advantage of that long backstretch.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say I have any super fast tracks near me (Pacific Raceways/formerly SIR and The Ridge mainly) but I can still routinely hit 130 on the stock turbo on the straight sections. The gearing would be nice in the corners and they're really heavy on them, but I already lose enough against faster cars in the straight I'd be worried about handicapping myself further. Especially since I'm on an S280 now

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
80mph is more like 3100 rpm on stock gears. I’m averaging 30mpg on E30.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I wouldn't say I have any super fast tracks near me (Pacific Raceways/formerly SIR and The Ridge mainly) but I can still routinely hit 130 on the stock turbo on the straight sections. The gearing would be nice in the corners and they're really heavy on them, but I already lose enough against faster cars in the straight I'd be worried about handicapping myself further. Especially since I'm on an S280 now
It's not a mod for everyone, that's for sure - however it makes the car accelerate quicker all around. The downsides are lower top speed (not relevant on this platform in my opinion), higher RPM when cruising on the highway, and more frequent shifting (more neutral than negative). Overall you gain stronger acceleration everywhere in the rev range, every gear.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Just going to rub it in that VIR is my local track. Hit me up if you guys come this way!
I'm going to try to make it there next year, I bought a small truck that will tow the Fiesta so it's doable after I do some prep. If you know of any cool multi day events let me know.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The short first gear is for getting off the line and the smaller displacement engines really NEED the short first gear. Even with the short first gear I'm requiring slip at significantly higher RPMs than the prior 1.9L with a taller first gear on a 5 speed.

By their descriptions you're technically "lugging" the engine from every aggressive start at a stop light. Besides the fact that we'd do nothing but roast a tire on an open differential it could be part of the consideration for limiting boost in first gear. Unless you've altered the engine/programming or spend a lot of time granny-ing the accelerator I wouldn't worry about LSPI though.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I'm going to try to make it there next year, I bought a small truck that will tow the Fiesta so it's doable after I do some prep. If you know of any cool multi day events let me know.
The local BMWCCA has a 3 day event there usually in September. This year it’s the 15-17th and I’m unfortunately not able to go, but they run a great track day.

https://www.tarheelbmwcca.org/track.html

The local SCCA typically has 1-2 events at VIR per year too, but none on the calendar this year. Carolina Motorsports Park is on their schedule though and they just re paved the whole track last year. It’s niiiiice

https://thscc.com/calendar

It's not a mod for everyone, that's for sure - however it makes the car accelerate quicker all around. The downsides are lower top speed (not relevant on this platform in my opinion), higher RPM when cruising on the highway, and more frequent shifting (more neutral than negative). Overall you gain stronger acceleration everywhere in the rev range, every gear.
I just did the calculation with my tire size, and your 4.3 has me at 140.62mph at 7000 RPM in 5th. That's pretty awesome, actually. I don't anticipate getting above 140 on many tracks. Maybe VIR on that backstretch, but definitely not on any of the three Summit Point circuits I visit regularly. Even VIR, I think I'd be tempted to let it bounce off the rev limiter for a second before threshold braking into that spot.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
The local BMWCCA has a 3 day event there usually in September. This year it’s the 15-17th and I’m unfortunately not able to go, but they run a great track day.

https://www.tarheelbmwcca.org/track.html

The local SCCA typically has 1-2 events at VIR per year too, but none on the calendar this year. Carolina Motorsports Park is on their schedule though and they just re paved the whole track last year. It’s niiiiice

https://thscc.com/calendar
Ok keep me posted for next year. VIR is about 12.5 hrs so I think that's the limit of where I'd drive.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I just did the calculation with my tire size, and your 4.3 has me at 140.62mph at 7000 RPM in 5th. That's pretty awesome, actually. I don't anticipate getting above 140 on many tracks. Maybe VIR on that backstretch, but definitely not on any of the three Summit Point circuits I visit regularly. Even VIR, I think I'd be tempted to let it bounce off the rev limiter for a second before threshold braking into that spot.
My car is full street car trim with no weight reduction (actually the opposite with a small sub and amp in the trunk). I don’t think I’ve exceeded 125 on the back straight, but I also haven’t been since I had OEM brakes so I was real conservative so I didn’t cook them. 140 is probably right at the sweet spot. Could always bump the limiter to 7200 if you’re comfortable with it.

OP
superstu101
Thread Starter #33
Perhaps I should have clarified before posting this thread...

I think the gearing is ideal for those of us who use the car on a daily basis (i.e. - 99% of miles on public roads). Definitely see the disadvantages if you primarily track the car or have a specific use case. I still think as a daily driver with occasional autocross or track use, the final drive / gear ratios strike a great balance for all types of driving.

That's a good write up, thanks for taking the time. I am also happy with the gear ratios. I have only had manual transmission cars since I got my driver's license, and that was a looong time ago. These have included an '84 Prelude, a '96 Integra GSR, a 2008 M3, and '95 NSX, all with excellent transmissions except the BMW, which was kind of clunky.
I also particularly like third gear in our cars, it pulls like a freight train, especially with the addition of the Mountune MP215 tune.
These cars are just a hell of a lot of fun, and I agree with you about the blend of good attributes. I have seen a few in-depth interviews with the engineers who designed the car, and I was impressed with the level of detail and careful thought that they put into the cars. I would assume that they put the same level of thought into choosing the gear ratios.
Can you provide the link of the interviews???

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Can you provide the link of the interviews???
Here is one interview, the person interviewing the engineer used to be active on this site and was an owner. This one mainly talks about the suspension, but again, I was impressed with the level of thought and detail that they put into it.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7YKS9CnpJg

here's another one, I believe with the same engineer, done as an introduction to the car.
https://www.google.com/search?q=int...ate=ive&vld=cid:97afc514,vid:Yrwa9O9ZWh4,st:0

Last edited:
Here is one interview, the person interviewing the engineer used to be active on this site and was an owner. This one mainly talks about the suspension, but again, I was impressed with the level of thought and detail that they put into it.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7YKS9CnpJg

here's another one, I believe with the same engineer, done as an introduction to the car.
https://www.google.com/search?q=int...ate=ive&vld=cid:97afc514,vid:Yrwa9O9ZWh4,st:0
THANKS!!!!!!!

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
You're welcome, I thought those interviews were a helpful find when I ran into them sometime back, and I'm glad to share them. It's helpful to know what the engineers who designed the car thought, and I enjoy this engineer's enthusiasm.
Looking at these again got me curious as to whether they were any others out there, so I re-Googled the subject, and I found this one that I had not seen before where the same engineer talks about the engine and the transmission, right on point for this thread.
The interviewer, @BRGT350, is raving about the gear ratios here.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI0aPrdP0d0

Last edited: