Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo whine

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Whoosh hybrid turbo started making this noise today any ideas what it could be... car is still running okay for now
Can't hear it....file won't play. Are you sure its not the Turbo whistling as they tend to do....some more than others.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

How's your trans fluid? Kind of sounds like maybe input shaft bearings? Hard to test though because you can't spool the turbo without putting a load on it and putting a load on it means you need to have it in gear...

OP
J
Thread Starter #5
Transfluid should be fine it was changed not too long ago and its not leaking or anything ... but if i go fast in first gear with no boost it doesn't make any noise

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Let me see what i can do but definitely not that i was aware of the whistling this sounds like a supercharger whine
I can still hear it when you let off the throttle in that first video. How does it change when you push in the clutch?

500 miles in, your turbo is still going to do a little self-machining. As long as you've got oil pressure and coolant circulating I wouldn't concern myself too much right now, provided the car is still pulling like you'd expect. Change your oil in another 1000 miles and then start to set a baseline for the types of noises you can expect it to make. As far as I know and can tell, it doesn't make anything that sounds completely abnormal. Especially since it sounds like you're already on top of potential trans issues.

OP
J
Thread Starter #11
500 miles in, your turbo is still going to do a little self-machining. As long as you've got oil pressure and coolant circulating I wouldn't concern myself too much right now, provided the car is still pulling like you'd expect. Change your oil in another 1000 miles and then start to set a baseline for the types of noises you can expect it to make. As far as I know and can tell, it doesn't make anything that sounds completely abnormal. Especially since it sounds like you're already on top of potential trans issues.
Thanks it was used one thats why I'm a bit worried ...ill probaly see how it looks from the intake side if the blades look fine and if could be anything else.... the only abnormal thing that was done today was that ill let my cousin drive it today and he would WOT but not go through the full rpm he would just step on it for like 3 seconds then after that we stopped at the gas station filled it up and i switched over to drive thats when it all of a sudden made that abnormal noise not not sure if that would hurt a turbo...and it seems that instead of hitting 25psi now it holds a steady 22psi

Thanks it was used one thats why I'm a bit worried ...ill probaly see how it looks from the intake side if the blades look fine and if could be anything else.... the only abnormal thing that was done today was that ill let my cousin drive it today and he would WOT but not go through the full rpm he would just step on it for like 3 seconds then after that we stopped at the gas station filled it up and i switched over to drive thats when it all of a sudden made that abnormal noise not not sure if that would hurt a turbo...and it seems that instead of hitting 25psi now it holds a steady 22psi
3 psi is a notable drop, that said boost pressure will vary based on ambient conditions and what your wastegate is setup to allow. I'm assuming that you haven't altered anything with the wastegate so its possible that there were some other metrics that limited boost, do you have a handheld tuner that will allow you to see timing? Any chance hoses going to/from the intercooler have leaked?