Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Union Strikes - Ford Contract Negotiations

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Looks like they are settling for 25% raises, but their lowest paid workers I heard are going to get over 150% raises. Kudos to them for backing their lowest paid workers. Creating different “tiers” or classes of workers has done a lot to create division in my own union. We’ll see if it gets ratified.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I feel for my parts colleagues over at GM and Chrysler. They've been waiting weeks for parts. Thankfully Ford hasn't been affected currently, so we've been normal getting our parts

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Looks like the strikes are coming to an end. Toyota just gave their workers a raise thanks to UAW. Odd that cars and trucks made a non-union plants cost as much or more than union-made vehicles. Just goes to show management is full of shit.

Dialcaliper

Looks like the strikes are coming to an end. Toyota just gave their workers a raise thanks to UAW. Odd that cars and trucks made a non-union plants cost as much or more than union-made vehicles. Just goes to show management is full of shit.
Competition in the job market is just that, it doesn't matter if there's a union or not. If union jobs always paid better or had better working conditions, workers would flock there. If Toyota pays better or gives better incentives, they'll get all the good people, unions or not. It's simply a fact that unions or anything else driving wages up affects the entire (US) auto industry.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Competition in the job market is just that, it doesn't matter if there's a union or not. If union jobs always paid better or had better working conditions, workers would flock there. If Toyota pays better or gives better incentives, they'll get all the good people, unions or not. It's simply a fact that unions or anything else driving wages up affects the entire (US) auto industry.
They're not raising wages to "attract the best talent", they're doing it because they don't want their employees thinking about organizing. It's union-busting 101, raise wages and promise better conditions when employees start whispering. Most people are not about to pick up their entire life and family and move to another state in hopes of getting a job at a union car manufacturer, but they might consider petitioning for a union election where they are already working.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
When I worked at a Toy parts distribution center I was a member of the UAW.

Truthfully, given the attitude/'bent' of that company, I am shocked that they ever allowed any union there, at all, in the first place. [wink]

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
When I worked at a Toy parts distribution center I was a member of the UAW.

Truthfully, given the attitude/'bent' of that company, I am shocked that they ever allowed any union there, at all, in the first place. [wink]
There's been some drama at that one of the semiconductor factories being built here. There's some culture clashing going on between the Taiwanese owners and managers and the American construction workers. They are accustomed to their workers being seen and not heard, but Americans don't work that way, so the company wanted to bring over construction workers from overseas to do the work because they're more accustomed to being walked on.

I was finishing one of the Samsung office buildings here Texas and we saw one of the Korean workers being berated and smacked. No idea what for, but again, that doesn't fly here in the USA.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Toyota employees generally don’t need unions because Toyota is great to its employees

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #29
It does matter whether there's a union or not. The chances of earning a prosperous wage increase as an individual are benefited when you have the collective will of others backing you. Some working conditions and wages here in the US prior to unions and OSHA were relatively abysmal. Unions and regulations are merely tools. Any tool can and will be abused. But it does not mean that the tool is chiefly responsible for the problems it was meant to address. (reduce, not eliminate)

... It's union-busting 101, ...
As a significant funding source of their opposition, it's unfortunate that a certain political party has had a renewed vigor in targeting them; spending a lot of money to convince us of the extreme that they're typically harmful. They are well regulated and when they do run afoul, (which being run by humans does occur,) there are resources that can force corrective action, without eliminating them altogether.

This is https://chat.bing.com/
1699061604168.png

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I was finishing one of the Samsung office buildings here Texas and we saw one of the Korean workers being berated and smacked. No idea what for, but again, that doesn't fly here in the USA.
After watching some Korean movies on tubi, and seeing the 'upper echelon's attitude there towards ALL 'underlings' not in the extremely wealthy class, I am not the least bit surprised.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
After watching some Korean movies on tubi, and seeing the 'upper echelon's attitude there towards ALL 'underlings' not in the extremely wealthy class, I am not the least bit surprised.
Ya Korea still struggles with classism. There dramas are great though because of the intricate plots and huge amount of double crossing and backstabbing that goes on😂. Unfortunately it’s not too far from reality.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
nachodaddy Fiesta ST Discussions 8
J Mid Atlantic Fiesta ST Owners 3