Vinyl decal swoosh mod

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Member ID
Fellers....

After the success of my vinyl decal shoosh mod, I've decided to attempt some vinyl racing stripes on my hood. Here's my pattern/design:

I used some of the same graphite gray colored vinyl that I used on my side swooshes. Unfortunately this did not work - the piece of vinyl was so large that it proved difficult to apply neatly. So back to the drawing board. I've worked with Plasti-dip in the past and it's great stuff. I'm looking into some ideas and techniques to get the right color and clean lines, I'll report back if I have success!
What problems are you having with the vinyl? Straight lines? If so use vinyl cutting tape. Apply first then apply a larger sheet of vinyl. Pull the cutting tape and it creates perfect lines.
http://www.langeman.com/edge-cutting-tapes/wrapcut/about-wrapcut

Member ID
Well, I've never worked with vinyl, but I'm considering trying it. I was going to ask if it was hard to get started with, but you've already said you have worked with it before and are now having problems... also, having worked a little with tint and decals, usually spraying a water/soap mixture makes it easier to move around/position/squeegee the bubbles out, if that helps any.

Sent from my Spaceship

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Member ID
Thread Starter #23
What problems are you having with the vinyl? Straight lines? If so use vinyl cutting tape. Apply first then apply a larger sheet of vinyl. Pull the cutting tape and it creates perfect lines.
http://www.langeman.com/edge-cutting-tapes/wrapcut/about-wrapcut
Dude! When you're in Georgia holler at me, I'm buying you steak and lobster! I've never heard of that stuff but I will be ordering some soon. That looks quite easy and since I really don't want to use PD for this project this will be perfect.

Thanks again!

Well, I've never worked with vinyl, but I'm considering trying it. I was going to ask if it was hard to get started with, but you've already said you have worked with it before and are now having problems... also, having worked a little with tint and decals, usually spraying a water/soap mixture makes it easier to move around/position/squeegee the bubbles out, if that helps any.

Sent from my Spaceship
I've worked with vinyl a good bit but the hood is different. I was not aware of the tape that CG mentioned before.....what I was doing is cutting to-fit pieces and applying. Normally it's not that hard but with the hood it's a different story because there are several different contours/bends happening at once and applying a pre-cut piece of vinyl proved impossible.

I'll update in a few weeks once my cutting tape arrives and I get this done!!!

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Member ID
Dude! When you're in Georgia holler at me, I'm buying you steak and lobster! I've never heard of that stuff but I will be ordering some soon. That looks quite easy and since I really don't want to use PD for this project this will be perfect.

Thanks again!!!!
You are welcome. This is just one brand there are quite a few. Some better then others. So now I expect vinyl flames!