Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Voiding Factory Warranty!

Baguilera

Hello everyone I just got my 2019 FiST about 3 months ago and I gave into putting my first mod! I put a crossover pipe with a high flow induction hose. My question is if I take my car into to get serviced would I have to switch out both cross over pipe and OEM induction hose in order to avoid voiding my warranty? Or just switching the crossover back to OEM and leave higher flowing induction hose on?

Attachments

By law, they would have to prove the modification cased the issue in order to deny your warranty claims

HOWEVER this doesn't stop them from possibly being a huge PITA about it. it really depends on your particular dealer.
In general I think something as simple as an induction hose would go pretty unnoticed/ignored

IANAL/YMMV/etc

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Go to your local dealer, go to a service writer, and ask, "How mod friendly are you guys - are you going to give me flak over an intake and exhaust?". I find being direct, but friendly and polite will get you a long way. It worked for me because I asked the day I bought the car before I even left the dealership :)

Even better might be one of the lot runners, I find they're often modders and are usually the ones that want to chat about the weird sounds coming out of my car (2j intake) and check it out. They've given me good advice about what service writer to talk to, and that I absolutely needed to try the chicken grilled cheese at their cafe. (Which is amazing.)

Just in general, show the lowest staffer exactly as much respect as you'd show the owner of the dealership. Not because it gets you things, but because it's the right thing to do. Though sometimes when covered vs not covered comes down to the wire, someone remembering you positively could be helpful.

OP
Baguilera

Baguilera

Thread Starter #4
Well my dealer did kind of suck but I am willing to try thanks y’all!! It’s so hard not wanting to mod up !

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
You can always familiarize yourself with the magnuson-moss warranty act - but that means *learning* it inside and out. Just mentioning it isn't a magic cheat code to get you covered; if anything, that attitude will get you even more scrutiny. If you have issues, play dumb, get their denial (and justification) in writing (because you don't understand) and you can proceed as you need to. From experience, if you're leaning on the Magnuson-moss you usually already know you did something you shouldn't have. If you do have something actionable under magnuson-moss, it's probably going to cost you more in legal fees than it would to just pay for the repair. Sometimes it comes down to asking "What do I need to do to get myself back in compliance with the warranty". A good-faith effort on your behalf can sometimes nudge the pendulum of judgement back in your favor.

I have spent lots of time in court and will attest, it is usually not worth it if you factor in the value of your time.

A new long block might be a few grand, but they can keep stalling and petitioning for new dates while they wait you out, costing you missed days of work, changing venues, etc. while they try to run you out of money.

This has been a really long way of saying, "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time".

Oh, also - document *everything*.

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Hell I got my car serviced with a tune lol. In fact it was my first warranty service. Nobody said a word.
Of course I am dealing with a mod friendly dealer Galpin who also has Galpin Auto Sports. They modded Mustangs and RS”s and Ford GT’s all over the place lol.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
When you say "service" - you mean warranty work or something else, like oil change? I have had things that were fixed under warranty with my car being VERY FAR from stock, and with the Cobb tune to boot. So long as the failure can not be linked to a mod, you should be OK and the dealer *should not* give you any guff. In my case, it was the brake light actuator under the brake pedal, so - no charge, no questions. I am sure some dealers may try to dispute things, so it will take your time to resolve...

OP
Baguilera

Baguilera

Thread Starter #10
Yea I just mean like maintenance stuff and hopefully I am not needing to go to the dealer to fix any other issues.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Hell I got my car serviced with a tune lol. In fact it was my first warranty service. Nobody said a word.
Of course I am dealing with a mod friendly dealer Galpin who also has Galpin Auto Sports. They modded Mustangs and RS”s and Ford GT’s all over the place lol.
The techs like my 2j intake, but one of them told me to take it off before bringing it in for service because "it looks like it'll make just about any service a pain in the ass and it'll show up in any photos we have to send to ford"

Dpro

6000 Post Club
When you say "service" - you mean warranty work or something else, like oil change? I have had things that were fixed under warranty with my car being VERY FAR from stock, and with the Cobb tune to boot. So long as the failure can not be linked to a mod, you should be OK and the dealer *should not* give you any guff. In my case, it was the brake light actuator under the brake pedal, so - no charge, no questions. I am sure some dealers may try to dispute things, so it will take your time to resolve...
I am speaking about the oil changes and scheduled routine warranty stuff. If I was doing something for a specific problem I would reflash to stock. Not to worried about the bolt ons as they have absolutely no effect on the warranty and my intercooler is a Mountune which is Ford approved. Plus Like I said earlier its Galpin. Hell they take brand new cars and put mods on them and then sell them for higher prices. Lol

I said goodbye to my warranty at like 7k miles when I went full COBB S3 and Hybrid Turbo/Tune at 12k miles.